Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd really like to see you talk with a rabbi about that one, bucko.

I cannot BELIEVE you're swapping mythologies around like a game of musical chairs.

Do me a favor, if we discuss one set of mythological beliefs, stick with it's individual beliefs and practices.

I think it's kind of offensive that you'd perceive the Jews as being condemned because they didn't follow this particular prophet. Who, I might add- did not fulfill all of the required duties that the true messiah should have.

So in reality, the Jews that converted to the earliest forms of christianity, were really just the ones that didn't read their scriptures enough.
    Last edited by aschen; 13 January 2005, 11:11 AM.

Comment

first, not mythology, second, Christianity has deep roots in Judaism. Jesus was a Jew, and was sent to fulfill the prophecies in the Bible, which were written by Jews. He fulfilled each and every one, and thereby completed Judaism into christianity, allowing both Jews and Gentiles (translated into those who aren't jewish) to receive God and enter Heaven. You don't like it, tough.
      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

^^ Read the updated entry.

It is mythology because there is no physical proof that he even existed.

And he DID NOT fulfill the prophecies.

He didn't build the third temple, nor was he a conquerer.

Comment

This has truely become a good thread. My knowledge of modern religions is a bit limited compared to some of you, but I think I have a good grasp of understanding. I've been through many churches in the Christian sect - none of which provided me with a sense of truth. I've studied Buddhism, Hinduism, Janism, Judaism, Daoism, some Islam (far from anything I consider to be truth), and Confucionism.

I seem to gravitate towards a Buddhist/Confucious mix, however I don't agree with non-possession of material objects.

I violently rail against any notion of predestination - I find that idea ludicrous and irresponsible.

I also don't believe in a supreme deity, heaven, or hell and their derivatives. I think the more likely explaination is that humankind invented these things so they didn't feel alone in the world (universe).

I'm sure we'll all know the truth when we kick the bucket.
          "It's a blast door"

Comment

Gotta make a correction. First, Buddhists do not believe in a supreme deity. About the only supernatural part they buy into is the reincarnation bit and the desire to seek what is essentially oblivion, as existence is suffering.

Gotta make a clarification too: the sole difference between mythology and religion is whether the beliefs are currently practiced. Period. Nothing else.

As to those who say God does or does not exist, that's an inane and pointless argument... as relevant as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Better to say, point blank, that there is no rational evidence to support the existence of God. Period. No more for the God of the desert religions than there was for Thor, or Anubis, or for some sacred rock in the heart of some Neanderthal's cave.

Religion is a social phenomenon. Whether we are talking about a hybridization of liberal Judaism with mystic ressurection elements borrowed rom the Cult of Mithras (that'd be Christianity), Judaism which borrowed flood myths from the Babylonians, or whatnot, it is about what people are taught (mostly when they are before the age of reason) and what they believe.

Belief is by definition something that exists absent proof. There have been endless fakes and frauds by those who DO believe to provide "proof"... some of which are still murky today. But that's merely a distraction. Religion has nothing to do with proof. People believe or they don't believe.

Not much of a problem, really, until they start judging others for their lifestyles when they don't impact them, or until they start marching out and converting by the sword, or when they commit other crimes against other humans for no better excuse than "God told me to".

I guess that's the appeal of the Goa'uld as bad guys. They get to personify all the evil that religion has done .. the evil that has been done in the name of religion.

NOTE:

All examples of evil doing can be assumed to be prior to 1900 for purposes here. I don't intend to get into a political and religious argument with anyone here. Religion isn't strictly rational and doesn't operate on a proof basis anyway, so it really wouldn't even be argument. So please, look for an opponent elsewhere. Believers are best off "arguing" with believers... or slaying each other or enslaving each other.. or whatever else they do to settle their arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by Julez
              I also don't believe in a supreme deity, heaven, or hell and their derivatives. I think the more likely explaination is that humankind invented these things so they didn't feel alone in the world (universe).
              So basically, you believe they were to humans hundreds and thousands of years ago what aliens are to us today?
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                As to those who say God does or does not exist, that's an inane and pointless argument... as relevant as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
                Of course... that is only true if God does indeed not exist.
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Darth Buddha.

*claps*

Very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                    I think it's kind of offensive that you'd perceive the Jews as being condemned because they didn't follow this particular prophet. Who, I might add- did not fulfill all of the required duties that the true messiah should have.
                    Gee, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm gonna have to go with Dani's Twin on this one.

*LTSS.T.A.K.S
                    Christian Gaters Unite!|| One show down.... SAVE SGA!!!

Comment

NOTE:

All examples of evil doing can be assumed to be prior to 1900 for purposes here. I don't intend to get into a political and religious argument with anyone here. Religion isn't strictly rational and doesn't operate on a proof basis anyway, so it really wouldn't even be argument. So please, look for an opponent elsewhere. Believers are best off "arguing" with believers... or slaying each other or enslaving each other.. or whatever else they do to settle their arguments.
                      I love it! Excellent!

Just as an aside, not sure if Darth was directing it towards me, but I know Buddhists don't believe in a supreme diety.

So basically, you believe they were to humans hundreds and thousands of years ago what aliens are to us today?
                      Sure! Why not? It is a possibility. Why shouldn't there be life intelligent or not outside of our little solar system?
                      "It's a blast door"

Comment

Go with him on what? That the Jews are condemned? Yeah...more christian arrogance.

Comment

There are TWO people with the names Julez/Jules here?? That's a bit much, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                            Actually, it doesn't seem so. The bible indicates that those who did not follow the Lord and His righteousness did indeed to to Hell while those who did follow the Lord and sought Him and His ways went to 'Abraham's bosom'.

Actually, no. Judaism did not have the concept of Hell, the place of eternal punishment. That's a Christian concept. Initially, in Judaism, if you lived a bad life, your "punishment" was that your soul was denied the presence of God, deemed to be the worst thing a soul could suffer. All this other stuff--the levels of Hell, the various punishments and the like--were developed as part of Christianity (and, I believe, Islam has much of the same version of Hell, though I am not sure and I apologize to any Muslims on this thread if this is incorrect).

I always found it interesting that it was the faith based around a figure who, we are told, represents love, forgiveness, redemption and compassion, that invented a place of eternal punishment from which there is no way to be redeemed or forgiven, to change or move on.

J.
                            "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                              There are TWO people with the names Julez/Jules here?? That's a bit much, isn't it?
                              Ha Ha! I assure you that we are 2 different women, just have the same first name.
                              "It's a blast door"

Comment

(((((DarkQuee))))

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X