Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So for my motivation it's to live in a cleaner environment, which might save all the species on earth. The first part is definite. The second part is theoretically possible. So who cares what motivates someone to go along with combating global warming? Who cares if they even believe in GW? If they want to live in a cleaner environment, and maybe save life on earth in the process, it's still a win/win scenario. You don't have to win a particular battle, if you can win the war. Right?

*edit* Getting back on topic, personally, I blame God. LOL!!!

~Dave
    Last edited by ~Dave; 17 December 2008, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
      So for my motivation it's to live in a cleaner environment, which might save all the species on earth. The first part is definite. The second part is theoretically possible. So who cares what motivates someone to go along with combating global warming? Who cares if they even believe in GW? If they want to live in a cleaner environment, and maybe save life on earth in the process, it's still a win/win scenario. You don't have to win a particular battle, if you can win the war. Right?

~Dave
      Yes, but my point was it doesn't matter if it is just possible, if there is a chance it is our fault it is our responsibility to do something. If you are doing it for cleaner air, fine, but to me it seems like you are skirting the issue a bit.
      That's just my take on it.
      sigpic
      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
        Yes, but my point was it doesn't matter if it is just possible, if there is a chance it is our fault it is our responsibility to do something. If you are doing it for cleaner air, fine, but to me it seems like you are skirting the issue a bit.
        That's just my take on it.
        Picky, picky. That's my take on it. Accept victory. Take yes for an answer. Who cares if I skirt the issue? You win in the end.

~Dave

Comment

Very well, I will accept victory
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post

~Dave
            what's it like up there on the fence? sure you don't want to come down... we have hot cocoa.... lol
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
              what's it like up there on the fence? sure you don't want to come down... we have hot cocoa.... lol
              Nice view from up here. *edit* You can see both sides from up here. Why don't you join me?.........and bring the hot cocoa. LOL!

~Dave
              Last edited by ~Dave; 17 December 2008, 08:31 AM.

Comment

i'm pretty sure there's a passage where a man goes to an inn, and people want to rape him, but because he is more important the inn keeper gives the people his daughters because they are worth less.
                yeah, it's the story of Sodom & Gomorrah & its destruction. but God didn't send a prophet & tell the dude to give his daughters up bc they were worthless. the passage did not say women are worthless. the point of the passage was that they, in that city/culture, were living in pretty crazy times & the people didn't even know what to do & made bad decisions. this dude was chicken-sh!t & gave his daughters up bc he's a selfish jerk. fathers are supposed to protect their daughters - any real man would protect his children before himself. later in the NT it even says that a leader within the church should be caring for his family first, & then if he can't even do that he certainly shouldn't be caring for the church until he gets things taken care of at home. sorry someone taught you the wrong point of the story.
                dalene

thx to StoyBoy720, x_stargatergirl_x, muh_tuttles, csom221, luciana, & the other lovely Shep-thunkers for the awesome siggies!

Comment

therefore it must be God? i'm more inclined to believe in ESP than an all powerful creator, or perhaps it was in the local newspaper and you happened to glance it in a shop, but my point is, God is not the only explanation, and it is bad to jump to conclusions as such.
                  well, since it was i my head i guess i have a better idea of where it came from, no? i don't have ESP. & when i was in college i didn't read the local news. besides, even if i had seen a pic of a bus on paper, how would i have known it was this particular guy's grampa?
                  dalene

thx to StoyBoy720, x_stargatergirl_x, muh_tuttles, csom221, luciana, & the other lovely Shep-thunkers for the awesome siggies!

Comment

Originally posted by dalene
                    well, since it was i my head i guess i have a better idea of where it came from, no? i don't have ESP. & when i was in college i didn't read the local news. besides, even if i had seen a pic of a bus on paper, how would i have known it was this particular guy's grampa?
                    So you claim to have gotten a message from your god, this makes you believe that your god exists. But what do you think about people who have had messages/visons (i'm not talking of the pictures you mentioned before) of a similar nature from their god, are these people right in their conclusion that their god exists? If so, wouldn't this pose a problem with the claims of your god (i'm assuming you're Christian)? Because the Christian god claims to be the only god.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                      So you claim to have gotten a message from your god, this makes you believe that your god exists. But what do you think about people who have had messages/visons (i'm not talking of the pictures you mentioned before) of a similar nature from their god, are these people right in their conclusion that their god exists? If so, wouldn't this pose a problem with the claims of your god (i'm assuming you're Christian)? Because the Christian god claims to be the only god.
                      Or...you know...all the people who've claimed to have heard God and were subsequently locked away or labeled as schizophrenics and forced to medicate.

What makes one person right in this, and another wrong?

In other words, how can anyone be sure?
                      sigpic

Comment

Not to mention all the famous people who have claimed to have heard the voice of God yet now history views them as possibly loony. Great example being Joan of Arc...........

And more recently George Bush who not only made that claim but said that the war in Iraq and Afghanistan was a "mission from God"
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          And more recently George Bush who not only made that claim but said that the war in Iraq and Afghanistan was a "mission from God"
                          *shudder*
                          sigpic

Comment

So if someone talks to God, it's called praying. But if God talks to someone, it's called schizophrenia?

~Dave

Comment

I suppose there's no way to prove that a supernatural being isn't talking to them, but then why can't that be extended to people who claim a little fire demon told them to burn down a school? Should we take their word for it or assume they're a bit mental?

I think the mind is a powerful thing, and so people who claim to hear the voice of 'God' aren't necessarily mental, but I do think they have managed to convince themselves that they're hearing something they're not, which I don't think is particularly healthy. Now that could just be closed minded of me, but since every major religion has people who claim to have heard the word of their deity, it seems to me that instead of one religion being right and the rest deluded, I think they all probably are.
                              Last edited by jenks; 17 December 2008, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                                I suppose there's no way to prove that a supernatural being isn't talking to them, but then why can't that be extended to people who claim a little fire demon told them to burn down a school? Should we take their word for it or assume they're a bit mental?
                                In either case, I think that the actions of the individual should be seen as to whether they are legal or illegal. If you're a religious person, I'm sure God or Demons could be whispering to you. Usually religious people would say that if it's of God, it's a good action. But if it's of Satan, it's a bad action. If someone says the Devil made him/her do it, then I guess I'll take them at their word, but prosecute if it's an illegal action. The act is all I really care about.

~Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X