This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
    whilst that statement is truem it is normally associated with the fact energy cannot be destroyed, only changed, however matter and energy are interchangable, ie, matter can be made out of energy, and turned into energy, the simplest this can be explained is with matter/anti-matter, where matter and anti-matter come together they annihilate each other leaving only energy, therefore it is safe to say that if you have enough energy you can create matter and anti-matter.
    This has nothing to do with religion or faith or anything, just my own ignorance.... Is anti-matter a proven scientific fact?
    Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
      Historical record shows that there was in fact a Jesus and that He was crucified.
      i think what you mean is "historical records show there was a person called Jesus and this person was crucified"
      by saying "that He was crucified" almost implies, through the capitalisation of the word "He" that historical records show "that the son of God was crucified"
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

This has nothing to do with religion or faith or anything, just my own ignorance.... Is anti-matter a proven scientific fact?
        yes, anti-matter has been isolated in laboratory conditions. i was just pointing this fact out to ~Dave, as i feel he seems to be rather misinformed on some scientific matters and that these ignarances he has filled in the gaps with faith.

IMHO faith is all well and good, but only if it doesn't clash with scientific fact, which is exactly why i respect your religious views myn, because, unlike many, you don't ignore scientific fact, you just incorperate it into your beliefs.
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

i think what you mean is "historical records show there was a person called Jesus and this person was crucified"
          by saying "that He was crucified" almost implies, through the capitalisation of the word "He" that historical records show "that the son of God was crucified"
          No, it doesn't imply that. It implies that I personally believe that He is God and that I want to respect Him as such, even when typing out His name and even the pronouns used to talk about Him.

I know that there is no scientific or historical proof that He is God.

yes, anti-matter has been isolated in laboratory conditions. i was just pointing this fact out to ~Dave, as i feel he seems to be rather misinformed on some scientific matters and that these ignarances he has filled in the gaps with faith.

IMHO faith is all well and good, but only if it doesn't clash with scientific fact, which is exactly why i respect your religious views myn, because, unlike many, you don't ignore scientific fact, you just incorperate it into your beliefs.
          OK, cool.
          Except... ~Dave himself has said that he doesn't really believe in God as of yet. He's debating both science and religion to better understand the universe and what different people believe about it's creation/beginning. Which I think is very respectable.

Thanks. ^_^

sigpic

Comment

OK, cool.
            Except... ~Dave himself has said that he doesn't really believe in God as of yet. He's debating both science and religion to better understand the universe and what different people believe about it's creation/beginning. Which I think is very respectable.

Thanks. ^_^
            ok i've never actually seen him write that, it's just the way he seems to say stuff makes it appear he is more inclined to belive in god than to not.

honestly i'm unsure why more people aren't content to beleive "that there might or might not be a god, but it doesn't really matter either way" as i do.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            Quotes!
            sigpic

Comment

ok i've never actually seen him write that, it's just the way he seems to say stuff makes it appear he is more inclined to belive in god than to not.

honestly i'm unsure why more people aren't content to beleive "that there might or might not be a god, but it doesn't really matter either way" as i do.
              And there's a problem with this?? But no, I see what you're saying. And while I can understand and respect people who don't believe in science because of their faith, I can't really completely see eye to eye with them either.

Well, speaking as someone who does believe in Him, I know that for myself my life is much better when I trust in Him and love Him. Believing that He is there, it would seem disrespectful to just say, "Oh well, He's there... now I'll just think of him as another fact and not really pay any attention to Him in my daily life." But I do wish more Atheists thought like you and respected those who have faith.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                Prove it.

See above.
                Prove anything.

~Dave

Comment

Well as I said in an earlier post why can't God just appear in front of the world and everyone will see it and then most may believe.

So why can't or won't it do that? Note: I'm not going to assign gender to a non physical being that may not exist.
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                    Well as I said in an earlier post why can't God just appear in front of the world and everyone will see it and then most may believe.

So why can't or won't it do that? Note: I'm not going to assign gender to a non physical being that may not exist.
                    According to believers, He will. At a time of His own choosing. Personally, I don't like that idea. But if I fall off a cliff, I'm not going to like gravity very much either. But that won't keep it from pulling me to my death.

~Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
                      According to believers, He will. At a time of His own choosing. Personally, I don't like that idea. But if I fall off a cliff, I'm not going to like gravity very much either. But that won't keep it from pulling me to my death.

~Dave

Dave why don't you like that idea
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

As ~Dave said, both Christians and Jews believe that He will. The Bible says that He will come again in glory so that there is no longer any doubt. The difference between what the Christians believe and what the Jews believe is that Christians believe it will be the second coming, since He already came as Jesus. The Jews don't believe He's come at all yet, but we both agree that He is coming one way or another.

Btw, the reason we assign gender to Him is because He wants to be seen as a fatherly figure, and when He came to earth as a human He came as a man. As for one who doesn't believe in Him, you could do it just so there's no confusion... if you say "it", then we can't know whether you're talking about the Christian/Jewish God or some other god-like being, and we Christians can't exactly speak for gods or religions we don't believe in. When you talk about fictional characters you assign gender to them, so I don't see how this is any different for you...

sigpic

Comment

Dave why don't you like that idea
                          I would rather, if He exists, that He just be "up front" about it so I could know for sure right now. But supposedly He with holds judgment in order that the most can be saved. I think this also gives many of us enough rope to hang ourselves. LOL! Hahaha. So, I would prefer to just know and have the choice of something that I know for sure to be real. Those who would rather "reign in Hell" would still make that choice. I see no reason to be all mystical about it.

~Dave

Comment

As ~Dave said, both Christians and Jews believe that He will. The Bible says that He will come again in glory so that there is no longer any doubt. The difference between what the Christians believe and what the Jews believe is that Christians believe it will be the second coming, since He already came as Jesus. The Jews don't believe He's come at all yet, but we both agree that He is coming one way or another.

Btw, the reason we assign gender to Him is because He wants to be seen as a fatherly figure, and when He came to earth as a human He came as a man. As for one who doesn't believe in Him, you could do it just so there's no confusion... if you say "it", then we can't know whether you're talking about the Christian/Jewish God or some other god-like being, and we Christians can't exactly speak for gods or religions we don't believe in. When you talk about fictional characters you assign gender to them, so I don't see how this is any different for you...
                            Yeah. God the "mother" would have had a lot more trouble with putting Jesus here. It gets into in vitro, and transplanting eggs, and stuff the people would have had a much harder time accepting.......maybe.

~Dave

Comment

Yeah. God the "mother" would have had a lot more trouble with putting Jesus here. It gets into in vitro, and transplanting eggs, and stuff the people would have had a much harder time accepting.......maybe.

~Dave
                              We don't know why He chose to be born as a male, He just did.

sigpic

Comment

Prove anything.

~Dave
                                Something exists, this post proves it.

Comment

Working...
                                X