This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
    LOL! The only thing I'm mixing up is myself. This is a complex topic.

~Dave
    so long as you never confuse the origin of life with the origin of species ever again, thats ok
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
      so long as you never confuse the origin of life with the origin of species ever again, thats ok
      So is the origin of life related to the origin of species? If so, how? I mean all species had to originate somehow. Right?

~Dave

Comment

So is the origin of life related to the origin of species? If so, how? I mean all species had to originate somehow. Right?

~Dave
        no, like i said the origin of species deals with how a species comes from a different species, like how several different species of birds have a common ancestor,
        For example, there are many species of penguin, but once there was only one species of penguin, we call that the common ancestor. over many generations, the different families of penguins in different parts of the world favour different traits. due to breeding etc. and that is how the different species of penguins originated.

evolution doesn't try to speculate where life started.
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

You know...this is a REALLY polite group of people for a religious thread.
          It feels good to be alive.
          Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

no, like i said the origin of species deals with how a species comes from a different species, like how several different species of birds have a common ancestor,
            For example, there are many species of penguin, but once there was only one species of penguin, we call that the common ancestor. over many generations, the different families of penguins in different parts of the world favour different traits. due to breeding etc. and that is how the different species of penguins originated.

evolution doesn't try to speculate where life started.
            So it does not even speculate on how the common ancestor came to be?

~Dave

Comment

nope, just that there was a common ancestor.
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              Quotes!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet View Post
                You know...this is a REALLY polite group of people for a religious thread.
                there is nothing to be gained by rudeness.
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                Quotes!
                sigpic

Comment

nope, just that there was a common ancestor.
                  Well, the Darwin theory is on the origin of species. Now, if you only consider differences within a species, like the penguin, then the origin of that species depends on where the common ancestor came from. I mean....doesn't it?

~Dave

Comment

I think science is incredible. But people have to be careful with it when it comes to the facts. There's been so much controversy over the theory of evolution. Political bullying and major pressure within the scientific community to produce results over the many years has resulted in fabricrations and outright lies. But it's not all like that. Just saying...don't take the truth from the surface.
                    It feels good to be alive.
                    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Well, the Darwin theory is on the origin of species. Now, if you only consider differences within a species, like the penguin, then the origin of that species depends on where the common ancestor came from. I mean....doesn't it?

~Dave
                      but penguins in themselves aren't a species, there are several distinct species of penguins. the terminology with things like this is often confused, Penguins are a family, more specifically " Spheniscidae", within that family are Genus' Aptenodytes, Eudyptes, Eudyptula, Megadyptes, Pygoscelis, and Spheniscus. "Emperor Penguins" for example are a species, more specifically "Aptenodytes forsteri" or king penguins are "Aptenodytes patagonicus"
                      put it this way. imagine life is paper, and evolution is origami. you can make lots of things with origami, but knowing about origami, does not help you understand that paper is made of pulped trees.
                      Last edited by AvatarIII; 12 December 2008, 09:01 AM.
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      Quotes!
                      sigpic

Comment

but penguins in themselves aren't a species, there are several distinct species of penguins. the terminology with things like this is often confused,
                        put it this way. imagine life is paper, and evolution is origami. you can make lots of things with origami, but knowing about origami, does not help you understand that paper is made of pulped trees.
                        So, you're saying there are many sub-species within the species of penguin?

~Dave

Comment

no. i'm saying there are many species within the Family of Penguin. (i have edited the above post with more detailed information)
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          Quotes!
                          sigpic

Comment

no. i'm saying there are many species within the Family of Penguin. (i have edited the above post with more detailed information)
                            Is the same thing true of humans? Or does the common ancestor remain a problem with us?

~Dave

Comment

yes and no, it's generally considered that cro magnon is the common ancestor of all races of human, but all races of humam are considered to be the same species.

i'm going now, but feel free to read up on some of the things we've talked about
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_(genus)
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              Quotes!
                              sigpic

Comment

Thank you. It seems, from Wiki, that there are many "populations" within each "species". But aren't they still the same species in general? So you can't, for example, call each population of penguin a different species, can you?

~Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X