This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
    how about getting close to some one but the day you are planning to ask her out your parents tell you first thing when you wake up that they probably will separate. Your day goes sour then but you eventually shake it off though your chance is spoiled. An opportunity arises again and you try to seize it but a pattern is seeming to repeat its self?

OMG did that happen to you?
    That's gotta hurt sorry.

Hey, on the bright side things could be worse... You could be like
    John in the movie 'man from Earth' and live 14,000 years having
    to give up love because they'll always die and you won't.......
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
      I know theres a diety out there but he is definitely not benevolent. Every time i think i have something it is snatched away, so frequently i simply dont really give a **** about religion anymore. If that ******* God really loves his people he will stop ****ing with their lives, its not called testing its sadistic humor. And if he stops maybe i wont be a heathen. Son of a ***** made me this way...
      And you know it's Him, right? What do you think you have that you can't hold on to exactly? If it's relationships then maybe you are trying to hold on to something that you can't possibly control.
      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

A happy family, grades, friends, an romance interest. And i prayed every night, and none of these things fully pulled through, except for friends.
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

i know i havent been the best, but as a person walking the line of being a heathen and christian the more **** God throw or doesnt prevent inspite of my desperate pleas shows he is a malevolent ******* who only cares for his own entertainment. Its not a test if he knows that the person cant handle it or they will neglect him in the end.
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I don't know why you went through it. I can't possibly know. But, I will say this. God will NEVER do anything to hurt you. He will, however, allow things to happen to you. And you may say it's not to test you. And I will agree somewhat with that statement. But, it definitely is not sadistic humor. Because, if He was sadistic, your live would be much worse, believe me. And yes, He is benevolent. He is more than benevolent. However, the reasoning behind His decisions may not be so easily deciphered. Because we truly are short-sighted. His decisions have long lasting effects. You do not know the ultimate result of what has transpired in your life at this point. And, grades and family aside, maybe this isn't what He wants for you ( specifically, the romance aspect). As far as family, that is not in your control. He knows the situation. But, this is something your parents have to decide for themselves. He will not force anyone to make a decision. They have to realize the consequences of their actions for themselves. By the way, what have you specifically prayed for (excuse the bad grammar)? And as for grades, this is something that requires 1) faith (simply put), and 2) diligence on your part (which I'm sure isn't the issue).

Look, no one can be good enough. You can't force Him to do anything either. But, if you shut Him off, you are effectively saying "I don't want you to do anything". It may not seem like it, but you are saying that He is a liar, and that He does not love you. But the truth of the matter is, He wants you to trust Him with your whole life. He wants to bless you, and as I said earlier, shutting Him off won't change anything. It will keep your life from getting any better. If He was truly malevolent, you would be dead now. I know you think God is simply sitting back and laughing at you. But that is not the case. From what you've posted, I know you at least believe that He exists. Don't shut Him off. A thought just came to me. Have you taken time to thank God for the good He has done for you? If not, maybe you should try it.
            Last edited by Ltcolshepjumper; 25 December 2007, 10:24 AM.
            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran
              i know i havent been the best, but as a person walking the line of being a heathen and christian the more **** God throw or doesnt prevent inspite of my desperate pleas shows he is a malevolent ******* who only cares for his own entertainment. Its not a test if he knows that the person cant handle it or they will neglect him in the end.
              Hope you don't mind if i give you some advice. I don't know what went wrong in your life, but blaming a god is not going to help you. Your best bet i think is to analyze what went wrong, find out what you can control and what you can't and take appropriate action.
              sigpic

Comment

Wow! A long dormant thread.

If I'm reading Genesis correctly, when God was supposed to have created the earth, He was actually re-creating it. The earth became void and without form. So it seems to me that the earth was here, then something happened to it (mass extinction?), and then it was here again. So before this event, was the first earth age. (First as far as we're concerned.) And all fossils previous to this time belong to the first earth age. This is why, I think, that the Jewish calendar says this is the year 6000, or something like that. It begins from the re-creation of the earth as far as life goes. And as far as I can figure, this happened circa 4000BC.

Then it says that God created all the animals, each after their own kind, with their seed inside them. And then man in the same manner. And all the plants. Well, if this happened roughly 6000 years ago, it had to be totally Divine in nature, because evolution did not have nearly enough time to be the process by which todays life came into being.

So evolution and religion, at least the Christian religion, are mutually exclusive as far as I can determine. Since evolution says that life was a random accident.

This is why I say religion may be opposed to evolution, but not necessarily to life on other planets. And ascended people in Statgate are not immortal. At least I see nothing to make that the case. Wasn't there a weapon which could kill ascended beings? You couldn't have that in the religious Heaven. At least I don't think you could. Although God Himself does seem to have a "Lake of Fire" which can destroy souls in the end times. While others think this lake is figurative meaning eternal separation from God and the eternal burning torment this will cause once these souls know the truth.

~Dave

Comment

That depends on how literally you interpret the Bible, some Christians maintain it's all supposed to be taken literally, others say it's mostly metaphor and then there's every view inbetween. The longer time goes on and the tripe in the Old Testament is proven impossible the more people decide it must be metaphorical, there's always the ignorant minority who actually believe Adam from dust, Eve from a rib of course, though they do squirm a bit when you mention the fact that pagan mythological creatures like unicorns and the Satyr are mentioned...

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                    I don't know why you went through it. I can't possibly know. But, I will say this. God will NEVER do anything to hurt you. He will, however, allow things to happen to you. And you may say it's not to test you. And I will agree somewhat with that statement. But, it definitely is not sadistic humor. Because, if He was sadistic, your live would be much worse, believe me. And yes, He is benevolent. He is more than benevolent. However, the reasoning behind His decisions may not be so easily deciphered. Because we truly are short-sighted. His decisions have long lasting effects. You do not know the ultimate result of what has transpired in your life at this point. And, grades and family aside, maybe this isn't what He wants for you ( specifically, the romance aspect). As far as family, that is not in your control. He knows the situation. But, this is something your parents have to decide for themselves. He will not force anyone to make a decision. They have to realize the consequences of their actions for themselves. By the way, what have you specifically prayed for (excuse the bad grammar)? And as for grades, this is something that requires 1) faith (simply put), and 2) diligence on your part (which I'm sure isn't the issue).

Look, no one can be good enough. You can't force Him to do anything either. But, if you shut Him off, you are effectively saying "I don't want you to do anything". It may not seem like it, but you are saying that He is a liar, and that He does not love you. But the truth of the matter is, He wants you to trust Him with your whole life. He wants to bless you, and as I said earlier, shutting Him off won't change anything. It will keep your life from getting any better. If He was truly malevolent, you would be dead now. I know you think God is simply sitting back and laughing at you. But that is not the case. From what you've posted, I know you at least believe that He exists. Don't shut Him off. A thought just came to me. Have you taken time to thank God for the good He has done for you? If not, maybe you should try it.
                    I've never read this thread before so i'm sure everyone whos posted here is argued to death on the subject

but I can't possiably believe what the above poster put due to what has happened in my own life
                    i am far from perfect but what i went through in high school NO ONE deserved
                    I don't know what I am supposed to have done to have deserved that but it's affected my life since and will continue to everyday - why would a loving God put someone through this? Not to disrespect anyone but no matter what anyone says about "god works in odd ways" explanation when they can't explain it i will never believe in the God that was preached to me in Religious Studies
                    "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

Well jenks, that's true. And there are about 200 figures of speech in ancient Hebrew. The most common mistakes made when reading the Bible, if you could get the original manuscript and translate it all for yourself (assuming you also have the Massorah, and know how to handle it, along with a good understanding of life at that time), is taking something figurative as literal, and taking something literal as figurative. It's hard to picture how this mystical stuff was supposed to have happened, but it was written by someone who was a true believer.

And it can't be read with complete understanding in the King James version. This version was not divinely inspired as the original was said to have been. It was ordered by the king. The scribes who translated it said they did the best they could, but warned about many mis-interpretations possible due to inexact wording caused by this whole figure of speech thing and some words being actually meant for a detailed explanation which was outside the scope of their task. So I doubt that most Christians, including church Priests, actually know what their Bible actually says. This is because they interpret the English words rather than the ancient Hebrew ones originally used.

Who's right? I can't say with certainty. But if you've read the modern Bibles, you probably have not gotten the original understanding/meaning of the text.

I was raised as a Christian. And did a lot of research into this Bible. But I have no idea what the truth is. I can't prove you right, and I can't prove the Bible right. So I just don't know what the truth is.

~Dave

Comment

Being an atheist, I have no religious beliefs, but it would alter my scientific ones extremely. It'll be interesting to see what kind of world they live in: the climate, composition and size of planet, path of evolution, the biology, position in the solar system, the conditions of the immediate cosmos (like if they suffer from a lot of impacts and solar flares etc etc...) it'll take over a lifetime to research as much of that is not even known of our own planet.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir View Post
                          Being an atheist, I have no religious beliefs, but it would alter my scientific ones extremely. It'll be interesting to see what kind of world they live in: the climate, composition and size of planet, path of evolution, the biology, position in the solar system, the conditions of the immediate cosmos (like if they suffer from a lot of impacts and solar flares etc etc...) it'll take over a lifetime to research as much of that is not even known of our own planet.
                          Mind if I ask you a question? Since you are an atheist, can you tell me why you are one? I mean, nothing concerning religion, or the lack thereof can be proven one way or the other. So why have you decided to take a position on something that can't be known??

~Dave

Comment

I am a christian..but I believe that God did create us through allowing evolution on this planet...and possibly others...as for the time frame, think about it 1 day for god would be a few 100 million yrs to us, so metaphorically speaking 6 days is not far fetched as far as God days are concerned..yes most Christians get ticked off when I mention my personal thoughts in these matters
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfax View Post
                              I am a christian..but I believe that God did create us through allowing evolution on this planet...and possibly others...as for the time frame, think about it 1 day for god would be a few 100 million yrs to us, so metaphorically speaking 6 days is not far fetched as far as God days are concerned..yes most Christians get ticked off when I mention my personal thoughts in these matters
                              You are certainly as entitled to your beliefs just as everyone else. Would you answer a question, though? Since no one can know this, why have you decided to believe this?

~Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
                                You are certainly as entitled to your beliefs just as everyone else. Would you answer a question, though? Since no one can know this, why have you decided to believe this?

~Dave
                                The modern science giving us humans certain eye opening revolations regarding the earth and the fact that it is indeed billions of yrs old...god gave us knowledge for a reason..so we wont be ignorant over time..back in the day they simply didnt have the modern science knowledge we have
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X