Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is obviously no way you can possibly understand how I know God is real. Because you view Christianity as just another religion. But, it is much more than that. It is a personal relationship with God Himself. If it were just any normal religion, I wouldn't participate. But, since it is a relationship, I do get something out of it. No, God is not evil. I have a question. What is true perfection? I just want to see what you think it is.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
      There is obviously no way you can possibly understand how I know God is real. Because you view Christianity as just another religion. But, it is much more than that. It is a personal relationship with God Himself. If it were just any normal religion, I wouldn't participate. But, since it is a relationship, I do get something out of it. No, God is not evil. I have a question. What is true perfection? I just want to see what you think it is.
      And people who believe in other gods undoubtedly have a relationship with their god. Having a relationship with a god doesn't make that god real. Humans are capable of having relationships with imaginary beings. If you're getting seomething out of your "relationship" with your god , good for you. Doesn't make your god real though. I don't really care what people believe, i just don't understand most of those beliefs. I respect their right to their beliefs, as long as they don't try to force them on others.

There is no such thing as true perfection. Perfection is a subjective quality.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
        And people who believe in other gods undoubtedly have a relationship with their god. Having a relationship with a god doesn't make that god real. Humans are capable of having relationships with imaginary beings. If you're getting seomething out of your "relationship" with your god , good for you. Doesn't make your god real though. I don't really care what people believe, i just don't understand most of those beliefs. I respect their right to their beliefs, as long as they don't try to force them on others.

There is no such thing as true perfection. Perfection is a subjective quality.
        Elaborate on both accounts please.
        Last edited by Ltcolshepjumper; 17 December 2007, 10:16 AM.

Spoiler:

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Perfection is subjective because it depends on our perception. Something that you would consider to be perfect i might not consider to be perfect.

People who believe in other gods pray to them say they feel the presence of their god, and claim that their god guides them. They also get something out of their belief in their god. So they have a relationship with their god.
          sigpic

Comment

Perfection is subjective because it depends on our perception. Something that you would consider to be perfect i might not consider to be perfect.
            People who believe in other gods pray to them say they feel the presence of their god, and claim that their god guides them. They also get something out of their belief in their god. So they have a relationship with their god.
            I can accept that. What do you believe perfection is? I guess I would say that one form of perfection is in ability (physical and mental), another that's biological, and then one that is spiritual. This is not the whole yoga thing by the way. Because, when I think of true perfection, I think of my God. Why? Because His definition of perfection is not about knowledge, skill, or physical fitness. To Him, perfection is righteousness, the state of being completely good. In other words, perfection, true perfection, is:
            1. being one with God (mentally and spiritually)
            2. being without any sin
            3. being holy (not through actions, but through Jesus Christ)

You could argue that there are many good people, but, perfection in this sense is unattainable. God did not create evil. He allows the good and the bad to happen because He, despite knowing everything we will do, gives us free will. But, like everything, there are consequences, good and bad.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
              I can accept that. What do you believe perfection is? I guess I would say that one form of perfection is in ability (physical and mental), another that's biological, and then one that is spiritual.
              I don't believe in perfection as a inherent quality. Things just are.
              sigpic

Comment

If the bible stories are not bogus then tell me who wrote the
                book of Genesis?

Was someone actually witness to the events of creation or
                are they not logically handed down stories that have over time
                like the rest got misinterpreted, reinterpreted, and changed?

And no I don't believe a word of any of the 66 books. It's all handed
                down myths and mis-translations. But I am open enough to ask
                quesitons and debate
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Thats why its called faith. We don't know how it happened but any religion has faith they are right.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Thats why its called faith. We don't know how it happened but any religion has faith they are right.

Even the Ori?
                    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I'm going with John Lennon..."I believe in ME"...

The rest are just money-spinning exercises, or designed to subjugate women.
                      sigpic
                      My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate
                        I don't understand why believing in something unsupported by evidence is considered a good quality. Believing something to be truth doesn't make it truth.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't understand why believing in something unsupported by evidence is considered a good quality. Believing something to be truth doesn't make it truth.
                          Quoted for truth^^^

If I jump into the grand canyon, yet believe that the laws of physics don't apply.... Bad stuff happens. Faith in stuff that cannot be proven by science is just.... Bad stuff happens...

Example of bad stuff? Children's Crusade anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
                            If the bible stories are not bogus then tell me who wrote the
                            book of Genesis?

Was someone actually witness to the events of creation or
                            are they not logically handed down stories that have over time
                            like the rest got misinterpreted, reinterpreted, and changed?

And no I don't believe a word of any of the 66 books. It's all handed
                            down myths and mis-translations. But I am open enough to ask
                            quesitons and debate
                            How is knowledge of who wrote Genesis relevant? Also, was anyone there to witness the Big Bang? Isn't science mostly about asking questions and answering them with more questions? And prove the Bible is a bunch of mistranslations.

And, gravity is proven. It was observed. What you have proposed is merely stupidity.There is a difference between faith and denial of truth. Faith is believing what you cannot see. Denial of truth is simply looking at a proven, tested fact and just walking away from it.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Monbackey View Post
                              Quoted for truth^^^

If I jump into the grand canyon, yet believe that the laws of physics don't apply.... Bad stuff happens.
                              "Bad" stuff? Why be so judgemental? Has it ever been scientifically proven that death is bad for you? What reason do we have to assume that existence is good and non-existence is bad?
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                "Bad" stuff? Why be so judgemental? Has it ever been scientifically proven that death is bad for you? What reason do we have to assume that existence is good and non-existence is bad?
                                All living things fight against non-existence, do they not?
                                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                                X