Stargate Loving Teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
    As in only teaching English as a second language?

That's a funny thing in the US (or at least where I went to public school) that you take four years of English in high school even though we supposedly already know how to speak and write it. Granted throughout the year you were taught the proper use of grammar, etc. for writing, but you also studied literature.

I'm assuming you are not teaching literature?
    Actually I have (or will have) the qualification to teach English/American literature and history but those subjects are not part of the curriculum in most high schools only at college and university. The high school I taught in is a dual language one and they have literature and history in English but only from 3rd year on and I taught 1st year students. I taught English as a second language. Dual language schools have a special curriculum here, students graduate after 5 years as opposed to the regular 4 years as they have a special first year (also called zero year) when they have an intensive language training (20 classes a week) and only a few other subjects in limited numbers. From the next year the number of English classes is reduced to 5 or 6 a week and they start learning other subjects but they do some of them in English like maths, biology, world history, etc. They also have classes in Hungarian like Hungarian and world literature, Hungarian history, physics, geography, music, etc.
    We also have Hungarian language classes in high school: mostly grammar and communication principles but their number is limited compared to literature.

Comment

Welcome Darien! I'm a high school geography teacher!

Speaking of geography, one of my students told me a funny story relating to my class the first day she had me. I was talking apparently of all these countries and she thought, "Boy this teacher is dumb! There are only 7!" But she didn't say this aloud. She did go home and tell her father who is also a geography teacher/baseball coach in our school. He looked at her funny and said, "Uh sweetie, I think you're thinking of continents." She told me she was so happy she didn't say anything in class.
      sigpic
      Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

3rd grade teacher here.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
          3rd grade teacher here.
          My mom retired teaching 3rd grade!

Only 7 school days left! (Well one more inservice day after that!)
          sigpic

Comment

i'll be teaching 5th grade science next year.

thats old enough for wormhole mechanics, right?

Comment

I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me.

I'm taking an online class for teachers and have an assignment to track down really good and bad websites. I've got the good covered but not the bad. Can anyone recommend a site with bad grammar/punctuation/writing, overwhelming graphics, slow downloading speeds, disorganized composition, or other problems?

Thanks.
              sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
              May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post

Can anyone recommend a site with bad grammar/punctuation/writing, overwhelming graphics, slow downloading speeds, disorganized composition, or other problems?
                http://forum.gateworld.net

but seriously: http://www.pcworld.com/article/12711...web_sites.html
                http://m1807.wordpress.com/2008/01/0...rding-to-time/
                http://www.patheticwebsites.com/

and I don't think I even need to say it, but MYSPACE is easily the worst website in the history of time. It violates every anti-annoyance point ever, and the fact it allows people to customize their pages beyond the ability to comprehend anything visually easily makes it choice #1 for the worst website ever.

Comment

*blinks* I've been here nearly, what, four years now? And I've never come across this thread! Serves me right for only visiting threads in my control panel.

I'm 11-18 trained in French and German and am currently teaching 9-13 French, history and religious education.
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                    but seriously: http://www.pcworld.com/article/12711...web_sites.html
                    http://m1807.wordpress.com/2008/01/0...rding-to-time/
                    http://www.patheticwebsites.com/

and I don't think I even need to say it, but MYSPACE is easily the worst website in the history of time. It violates every anti-annoyance point ever, and the fact it allows people to customize their pages beyond the ability to comprehend anything visually easily makes it choice #1 for the worst website ever.
                    Thanks for the help, Morbo. I managed to find a site and posted the assignment about an hour before the cutoff last night.
                    sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                    May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Hello everyone! Now that we've hit August, how many of you have already been in your classrooms? I went in today just to start the cleaning. The dust is incredible!
                      sigpic

Comment

Dude, two weeks into the summer holidays and you're already talking about work again?!

In all seriousness, I think I'm heading into work tomorrow. Maybe. I've got a lot of work to catch up on. And I'm moving classrooms.
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                          Hello everyone! Now that we've hit August, how many of you have already been in your classrooms? I went in today just to start the cleaning. The dust is incredible!
                          We started school today. Teachers started today, students start on Thursday. Summer is over here. They are doing major construction on our campus. One poor teacher is having concrete poured in front of her room tomorrow and will not be able to get into the room until Wednesday afternoon. I used to have a c-train for storage that they took away a few weeks ago and moved every thing that was in it into the middle of my classroom. I had a group of parents come in today to help move things into the new storage room they are giving me and will have more help tomorrow but it is going to be difficult to be ready for students by Thursday. We had not water on campus and will not have a staff parking lot until mid September so we are stuck parking on the baseball field which means the PE department loss use of the field for their classes. Basically the school is a real mess at the current time.
                          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                            Dude, two weeks into the summer holidays and you're already talking about work again?!

In all seriousness, I think I'm heading into work tomorrow. Maybe. I've got a lot of work to catch up on. And I'm moving classrooms.
                            Moving classrooms is always so hard. I've had to do it twice since I've been on my present campus. All I have to say is I'm glad I have my own classroom as we have quite a few teachers who have to "travel" and use other classrooms in that teacher's off period.

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                            We started school today. Teachers started today, students start on Thursday. Summer is over here. They are doing major construction on our campus. One poor teacher is having concrete poured in front of her room tomorrow and will not be able to get into the room until Wednesday afternoon. I used to have a c-train for storage that they took away a few weeks ago and moved every thing that was in it into the middle of my classroom. I had a group of parents come in today to help move things into the new storage room they are giving me and will have more help tomorrow but it is going to be difficult to be ready for students by Thursday. We had not water on campus and will not have a staff parking lot until mid September so we are stuck parking on the baseball field which means the PE department loss use of the field for their classes. Basically the school is a real mess at the current time.
                            Eek! That would never happen in our district! Sports are protected at all costs! We are starting our second year of f no construction, so I can empathize with your pain. We also had to give up parking to make room for portable classrooms. I was very lucky in that my classroom underwent "improvements" during the summer break.

Officially we start teacher inservice on August 18 with the students coming back on the 25th. But since I've spent all my summer time here at GW, I really need to settle down and get to work.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                              Officially we start teacher inservice on August 18 with the students coming back on the 25th.
                              That's how it is here. I've actually been to my room a few times this summer, but there is MUCH to be done. I learned a lot after my first year, and there are changes I want to put in place.

Comment

Well, since I haven't even passed my second year of college yet, I'm obviously not about to have a classroom. But, I am taking a couple of my first teaching classes!!!! I forget exactly how many, but at least 2! And I'm really looking forward to it. One is supposed to be an education seminar, and only meets once a month. Which is great, but also a pain, as you HAVE to be at every class. I think he might only make an exception if the student is in the hospital. But it still sounds great, and we'll be learning a little about the test we have to take to get accepted into the teaching program. Which I'm probably going to take in the fall/early spring, since I can't go further with any of my teaching classes until I've passed the test.

But good luck getting all your classes ready!!!
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Ikorni for Secret Santa

Comment

Working...
                                X