This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    No, it never did occur to me to engage in that particular form of the fallacy of begging the question. I see no reason to treat the assumption that the Pentateuch was written by "dudes" as a foregone conclusion.
    a) using bigger words doesn't make you sound smarter.

b) it totally was written by dudes because they totally wouldn't let dudettes write it.

Comment

Because you can neither read nor analyse the read material. Another reason, of course, is that you aren't actually looking to logically explain things in the first place, you're just trying to seek out excuses for cheap ridicule.

There is no indication whatsoever in Genesis 1 OR Genesis 2 of God planting seeds into dry land, or planting seeds at all. The mechanism of introducing plant life could have been different- evolution from inanimate matter along pre-programmed patterns, for instance, or some other way. The water vapor was not "magically summoned"- in fact, it is not described as a result of God's direct action, but as coming from the earth on its own- an indication that the mechanism we call "laws of nature" was by that time already set into motion.

No, it never did occur to me to engage in that particular form of the fallacy of begging the question. I see no reason to treat the assumption that the Pentateuch was written by "dudes" as a foregone conclusion.
      It's not cheap ridicule at all. This is supposedly the written record of what God did, right? According to this, the plants on Earth were created in the manner I outlined...

And since God works in ways associated with magic, this makes sense, no? Ah, but it doesn't to you, and you know that, so you apply a scientific spin on it. This merely proves you KNOW it sounds rediculous.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        It's not cheap ridicule at all. This is supposedly the written record of what God did, right? According to this, the plants on Earth were created in the manner I outlined...
        And as I explained, you've outlined it wrongly.

And since God works in ways associated with magic, this makes sense, no?
        He doesn't, and it's not. "Magic" is not an adequate word to describe God's power, as it implies a ritual act that attempts to control the supernatural. God's actions of creation can no more be called "magic" than thunderstorms can be called "technology".
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

He doesn't, and it's not. "Magic" is not an adequate word to describe God's power, as it implies a ritual act that attempts to control the supernatural. God's actions of creation can no more be called "magic" than thunderstorms can be called "technology".
          Cloud Seeding

Thunderstorms=Technology

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
            a) using bigger words doesn't make you sound smarter.
            That you consider these words "big" is very telling. I call it using correct terminology. When I decide to use big words, I'll talk to you about the significance of Heidegger's antipositivist interpretation of the hermeneutic circle as the principal way of grounding the foundationalist theory of international relations.

b) it totally was written by dudes because they totally wouldn't let dudettes write it.
            'Cause it ain't mannerly out west?
            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983 View Post
              Cloud Seeding

Thunderstorms=Technology
              What does your link to mankind's crude attempt to artificially increase rainwall by introducing foreign substances into clouds have to do with thunderstorms=technology? And if you believe that thunderstorms=technology, does it mean you consider all thunderstorm to be deliberate actions by an intelligent being?

Comment

The topic of this thread is "does God exist?"

Considering the fundamental uncertainty & anxiety such discussion invokes, I believe the most relevant & imperative focus of this discussion should be in answering the following question....

"How can we exploit these fears to make a whopping great load of cash?"

Comment

That you consider these words "big" is very telling. I call it using correct terminology. When I decide to use big words, I'll talk to you about the significance of Heidegger's antipositivist interpretation of the hermeneutic circle as the principal way of grounding the foundationalist theory of international relations.

Comment

lol. btw, womble has no comeback to that since god was the one that ultimately wanted that posted.

Comment

What does your link to mankind's crude attempt to artificially increase rainwall by introducing foreign substances into clouds have to do with thunderstorms=technology? And if you believe that thunderstorms=technology, does it mean you consider all thunderstorm to be deliberate actions by an intelligent being?
                      Crude attempt? Hey, it DOES work.

And don't be so down on your own species just because we're able to do things that, supposedly, only the Lord your God was supposed to be able to do. Face it ,we're getting to the point where His miracles don't seem as miraculous.
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Merely pointing out that god isnt the only one that can make it rain. If we can do it, (and admitedly they are crude begining steps but the first airplane only flew for 12 seconds and 120 feet and now we can travel around the world, keep planes in the air technically indefinately and fly to the moon), then it doesn't really take the power of a god does it?

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post

And don't be so down on your own species just because we're able to do things that, supposedly, only the Lord your God was supposed to be able to do. Face it ,we're getting to the point where His miracles don't seem as miraculous.
                          Adding Chemicals into clouds to make them rain hardly counts as miraculous, and remember, it only works when there actually is clouds. And why would this technology take anything away from God (who in fact gave humanity the intelligence to do things like this). Just because doctors heal people, does not take anything away from when God heals people. The fact is that what God can do is still much greater than anything man can do. Mankind cannot create thunderstorms in an area that never has any clouds or God can heal people that doctors cannot.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                            Adding Chemicals into clouds to make them rain hardly counts as miraculous, and remember, it only works when there actually is clouds. And why would this technology take anything away from God (who in fact gave humanity the intelligence to do things like this). Just because doctors heal people, does not take anything away from when God heals people. The fact is that what God can do is still much greater than anything man can do. Mankind cannot create thunderstorms in an area that never has any clouds or God can heal people that doctors cannot.
                            Mankind already does what God actually does. There are people all the time getting credit for things when they don't deserve it. Of course, God manages to do that while not existing, so I guess he does still one up mankind there...
                            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                              lol. btw, womble has no comeback to that since god was the one that ultimately wanted that posted.
                              I don't need a comeback to that. It was a perfectly self-defeating post on Morbo's part. When one posts silly pictures instead of a reply, it usually means they are the ones with no comeback.

Originally posted by s09119
                              Sure it does. My computer can sometimes be fixed by a well-placed kick, and it does work. Doesn't mean it isn't a crude method of fixing.

And don't be so down on your own species just because we're able to do things that, supposedly, only the Lord your God was supposed to be able to do.
                              But we aren't. Now, if we were able to replicate the whole cycle the way it goes in nature and on the scale on which it goes in nature, we could begin to talk about whether or not our glorious species are "getting to the point where His miracles don't seem as miraculous". So far, it's all on the level of crude imitation, like putting two bricks on top of each other and claiming that it is an act of building equivalent in value to the creation of Taj Mahal.

Comment

I don't need a comeback to that. It was a perfectly self-defeating post on Morbo's part. When one posts silly pictures instead of a reply, it usually means they are the ones with no comeback.
                                lol, spoken like someone who just got pwned and doesnt want to admit it.

Comment

Working...
                                X