This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
    Morbo wins the "Unintentional Deep Statement of Truth" award.
    And it was very artistic as well. I simply adored his use of negative space.

Comment

Spacecowboy, perhaps you should invest a little time to read a fable called The Emperor's New Clothes. It's a classic and teaches a very valuable lesson about mass reinforced delusions and social roles. People can convince themselves of all kinds of ridiculous things when they're so heavily invested in a false belief.
      How morally and mentally superior you must feel to dictate to others what is false. I would never belittle your beliefs because they contradict with mine. You have asked questions and to the best of my ability, I have tried to answer them. I have known atheists, agnostics, christians (both the fallen and the faithful), and muslims who never once said that what I believe in is a delusion or a fallacy. Still though you will not anger me. Though you may think of it as a waste of time, I will pray for you.

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime View Post
      Insult you? That wasn't an insult. I was mocking your fallacious non-answer.

You couldn't counter the argument, so you replied with a Loki's Wager logical fallacy with which you argue that non-believers can not possibly understand the true meaning of the Bible, therefore your opinions can not be challenged by them.

Therefore, I took your assumptions & reasoning to it's logical conclusion.
      If you are correct, since I am a non-believer....
      ....my conclusion should have been a great source of inspiration for you.
      I do not intend to argue with you. You have the right to challenge the Word if you so please. As I said, I let the Bible be my guide and nothing else. I must pray for God to suppress my own sinful nature and to guide me through his word. I am no better than anyone on that ever has, is, or will live. I cannot be so arrogant as to interpret the Bible by my own wisdom or the wisdom of anybody else. My ego and my opinions are irrelevant. I love the Lord with all of my heart, body, mind, soul, and spirit. Even still I sin, I doubt, and I become prideful. I simply speak the Word, I don't write it.
      sigpic
      "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by spacecowboy000 View Post
        I do not intend to argue with you. You have the right to challenge the Word if you so please.
        I don't debate scripture. It doesn't interest me, nor do I think it proves anything.
        I was simply pointing out the flaw in your statement.

Comment

Originally posted by spacecowboy000 View Post
          How morally and mentally superior you must feel to dictate to others what is false. I would never belittle your beliefs because they contradict with mine. You have asked questions and to the best of my ability, I have tried to answer them. I have known atheists, agnostics, christians (both the fallen and the faithful), and muslims who never once said that what I believe in is a delusion or a fallacy. Still though you will not anger me. Though you may think of it as a waste of time, I will pray for you.
          If you tell me 2+2=5, I'll tell you it's wrong. If you tell me the sky on a clear day at noon is red, I'll tell you it's wrong. If you tell me the Bible is accurate despite its contradiction within itself, and more importantly, its contradiction with observable reality, I'm still going to tell you it's wrong. It's not arrogant to evaluate claims and draw proper conclusions. I'm not gonna give you the benefit of the doubt on a delusion just because you're personally convinced it's true. Being open-minded still means you actually have to evaluate claims that people put forth. Intellectual laziness is not a value for which I strive.
          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime View Post
            I don't debate scripture. It doesn't interest me, nor do I think it proves anything.
            I was simply pointing out the flaw in your statement.
            It was through scripture I made my statement. However, since it doesn't interest you than I shall go in peace. I pray your life is long, fulfilling, and though you may not wish me to I will pray that perhaps one day you will find God. Farewell.
            Last edited by spacecowboy000; 28 July 2007, 11:29 PM.
            sigpic
            "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Intellectual laziness is not a value for which I strive.
              Spiritual awareness and serving God's will are the values for which I strive. I pray that your life gives you peace and I pray that one day you may find God. Farewell.
              Last edited by spacecowboy000; 28 July 2007, 11:28 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

So the fact that the second story explicitly states plants and animals were created after humans (in fact, humans were treated as a prerequisite for plants, along with rain) and the first story explicitly states plants and animals came before humans doesn't make for a contradiction? That's some mighty powerful compartmentalization you're employing there...
                No, that's some mighty confusion going on in your head. There are no contradictions in the creation order between Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, and BOTH say that plants and animals came before humans. In fact, let us see how Genesis 2 opens:

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, and every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
                Yep, plants before humans, just like in Genesis 1. It simply clarifies the finer details, noting that the original creation was not instantaneous; before they were in the earth, plants and other things were created in potential, and then left to naturally develop.

But then again, you haven't seen the original text of Genesis 2 until now, have you? Indeed, why do your own reading and thinking when you can pluck a list of "contradictions" off a website? It's the new scientific method!
                Last edited by Womble; 29 July 2007, 01:07 AM.
                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Didn't UK used to be christian?
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                    Didn't UK used to be christian?
                    Even if so, it's no guarantee that he had ever actually read the text. The trouble with Christianity is that it is a religion of convenience, and does not oblige its followers to actually study stuff.
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Sweden is officially christian, but that doesn't mean all of its population is. I'm for one am not a christian.

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                      The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

If you tell me 2+2=5, I'll tell you it's wrong.
                        actually 2.4+2.4=4.8, therefore to 1 significant figure it could be said 2+2=5

and to freelancer i think they meant uknesvuinng used to be christian
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                        Quotes!
                        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                        sigpic

Comment

Ah. Obviously I don't spend enough time here
                          And you math is flawed btw. Yes, 2.4+2.4=5 to 1 significant figure, but 2+2 doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
                            Ah. Obviously I don't spend enough time here
                            And you math is flawed btw. Yes, 2.4+2.4=5 to 1 significant figure, but 2+2 doesn't.
                            but if the 2.4's were put to one sig fig they would be 2
                            Spoiler:
                            Disclaimer:
                            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                            Quotes!
                            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                              actually 2.4+2.4=4.8, therefore to 1 significant figure it could be said 2+2=5

and to freelancer i think they meant uknesvuinng used to be christian
                              You only write the end result as the amount of digits behind the number with the lowest amount of digits in front of the = , therefore 2 + 2 is never 5, it is 4.

If you were to write 2.4 + 2.4 you would need to write 4.8E0, or if the 2.4 is calculated from a number that is significant to one digit you would write 5E0.

Comment

^ what he said

Originally posted by AvatarIII
                                but if the 2.4's were put to one sig fig they would be 2
                                And then it would be 2+2, which equals 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X