X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
    I love mysterious Masonic imagery.
    I'm amused by the conspiracy theories surrounding it.
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
      I find it somewhat unsettling that I am reading stuff about Nuns and choosing an order..but never do I see God or following HIS lead in any of this.... Isn't that the priority of anyone associated with the church??? Or do people now just view this like anything else..its a job, I will do my best, if I suck..oh well I will move on
      Are you reading my opinions or opinions on the web?

I'm not sure how to answer your question

(Personally, I think becoming a Religious is seen more as a "lifestyle" choice, versus a job ... because your being a Religious is not limited to your job, it's your life and you live it day and night.)

Adrianne
      If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
      It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Maybe God wasn't specific enough in his call to serve?
        You're right, I think.

My cell phone service contract is up. I can order a fancy new phone and re-enlist for 2 years, but what phone? Has anyone tried any of the navigater phones? Are they worth it? It would be nice not to have to buy a Garmin for turn-by-turn directions.
        Who's your service with???

Adrianne
        If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post
          You're right, I think.

Who's your service with???

Adrianne
          Verizon. I like the W755 phone. It's an upgraded Razr.
          Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Personally it seems like if your God is really all powerful and he really wants you to be a nun he will open the correct doors and place you in the correct nunnery. From what I've heard he doesn't want you to take the initiative, he wants you to follow his initiative... or something.

'Course, I've heard this crap from Baptists, and I don't even follow the guy. So I could be wrong.

All hail Discordia.

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12 View Post
              Personally it seems like if your God is really all powerful and he really wants you to be a nun he will open the correct doors and place you in the correct nunnery. From what I've heard he doesn't want you to take the initiative, he wants you to follow his initiative... or something.

'Course, I've heard this crap from Baptists, and I don't even follow the guy. So I could be wrong.

All hail Discordia.
              People called to the religious life often struggle.

I'm no expert, but I understand that it works this way. The Catholic Church welcomes the practical as well as the very spiritual people. There are roles in the church for both. That's one of the reason orders were formed. Some are very wordly and go out and operate schools, community centers and hospitals. Some are missionaries. Some are reclusive, pray many times each day and make wine, beer and cheese to support themselves. Some orders, such as the Jesuits attract intellectual types who study, teach and argue the canon.

Yes, it is best to search within yourself and ask God for guidance, but the orders also allow time before final vows are taken so that the person knows they have made the right decision.

Comment

Hats, on which bill is the masonic icon?
                Signed,

Gregorius
                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                  Yes, on one of your bills ... with the all-seeing eye!
                  Wrong country, go a little further south. (And it's on the $1 bill.)

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                  You've never heard of the Pyramids of the Great White North?
                  Yes, the well known Canadian pyramids with little maple leaf heiroglyphics.
                  Ooooooo, I'm going to have to look for those...
                  sigpic
                  Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SqueeG-1 View Post
                    Ooooooo, I'm going to have to look for those...
                    They probably sell Maple Syrup candies and such in the Gift Shop.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Talk about having one of those days....

Woke up at 4 AM and could not fall back asleep. Fonally, at 7:30 I went to work. By 11:00Am I was hearing whispers of ill tidings, which were confirmed by 3:00PM--with the exploding fuel prices, NOAA is being forced to cut a number of cruises just to pay for the ones currently underway, or preparing to head out. One of the cruises that looks to be cut is BASIS--that would be the one in the Bering Sea that I was supposed to on in September on the damned-near brand new research vessel Oscar Dysonhttp://www.moc.noaa.gov/od/, and which I was stratospheric about going on last November Thanks to the same friend who got me that assignment, though, I have gotten another position, on a cruise in the Gulf of Alaska aboard the R/V Tiglaxhttp://alaskamaritime.fws.gov/tiglax.htm--a Fish and Wildlife Service vessel( I just can't get away from them can I?) also in September, but that's only going to be for ~ 1wk, vs. 3 wks for the BASIS cruise, and its not the Dyson

Then, at 4 PM, I met with with one of the School of Fisheries' top oceanographers--this wonderful lady http://www.sfos.uaf.edu/directory/faculty/norcross/ and proposed my idea for a graduate thesis if she took me on as a student. She was quite enthusiastic, and once I can explain in detail, why I want to be a graduate student and what I want to do with myself afterwards, it looks as though she will take me on

I still can't decide whether to rate this a good, bad, or neutral day
                      Last edited by alaskannut; 12 June 2008, 10:49 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                      "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

My parish will be closed in 2 years time, regardless of anything. Let's go with you had a Neutral day.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                          Hats, on which bill is the masonic icon?
                          It's on the U.S. dollar bill. It's the all seeing eye over the unfinished pyramid.
                          Last edited by Hatusu; 14 June 2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskannut View Post
                            Talk about having one of those days....

Woke up at 4 AM and could not fall back asleep. Fonally, at 7:30 I went to work. By 11:00Am I was hearing whispers of ill tidings, which were confirmed by 3:00PM--with the exploding fuel prices, NOAA is being forced to cut a number of cruises just to pay for the ones currently underway, or preparing to head out. One of the cruises that looks to be cut is BASIS--that would be the one in the Bering Sea that I was supposed to on in September on the damned-near brand new research vessel Oscar Dysonhttp://www.moc.noaa.gov/od/, and which I was stratospheric about going on last November Thanks to the same friend who got me that assignment, though, I have gotten another position, on a cruise in the Gulf of Alaska aboard the R/V Tiglaxhttp://alaskamaritime.fws.gov/tiglax.htm--a Fish and Wildlife Service vessel( I just can't get away from them can I?) also in September, but that's only going to be for ~ 1wk, vs. 3 wks for the BASIS cruise, and its not the Dyson

Then, at 4 PM, I met with with one of the School of Fisheries' top oceanographers--this wonderful lady http://www.sfos.uaf.edu/directory/faculty/norcross/ and proposed my idea for a graduate thesis if she took me on as a student. She was quite enthusiastic, and once I can explain in detail, why I want to be a graduate student and what I want to do with myself afterwards, it looks as though she will take me on

I still can't decide whether to rate this a good, bad, or neutral day
                            I'm sorry about your missed opportunity, Nutty. Good luck with the grad. school.

Comment

Nutty: too bad about the new ship and the longer cruise. thumbs up for *something* and yeah for someone taking you on as a grad student - overall good/bad day

Adrianne: two years? then what? that sounds awful. - overall bad day
                              sigpic

Comment

(((((Nutty))))))
                                It sounds like it was a bad day with a pleasently upward twist

Sorry to hear about your first ship but I hope that the other works out the way you want it to
                                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                                X