This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
    Hey, on this topic, I know it's a stupid question, but is it true that the Shipper threads are "protected"? I've never heard anything like that before, so is it true? Or is it just some understood rule? I voiced my personal opinion in one of them yesterday (hey, I was bored...), and over SIX of them gave me a bad rep point for posting my ONE argument in a "protected" thread! And they ALL had something to say:
    1-(not activated)-Trolling in the Shipper Thread? Bad form.
    2-This is a protected Sam and Jack thread.
    3-I think you have poor manners!
    4-This is a protected pro-ship thread. Take it to the ship discussion thread.
    5-bothering shippers on a clearly marked shipper post
    6-Spamming in a protected thread is not accepted at GW
    7-Protected thread
    Maybe I did deserve it, and let me tell you I'll never enter one of those horrible threads again, but I still can't find anything about "protected" threads in the Gateworld FAQ. Can someone help me out here? (And if anyone would like to donate some spare green rep points to me for any reason, whatsoever, they would be greatly appreciated ) Thanks!
    I really thought that the Protected Thread concept was in the FAQ, but I can't find it. It is usually noted in the first page of the thread. The basic concept is that the topic of discussion is for people that want to positively discuss it. Opposing opinions are not permitted. For example, if you were in the Sam/Jack Shipper thread, posting a comment negative to that particular pairing, it would be against forum rules. (Although the rules should be in the FAQ! If someone can find it let me know!) That would explain the response of some that gave you the bad rep points.

The moderator mentioned your post in the Shipper thread and removed it because it is a protected thread.

I'm sorry you didn't understand the concept. It took me a while to realize it myself when I was new. I lurked forever trying to figure out everything before I started posting and still commited a few faux pas!

Have fun and don't worry about the rep points! I don't even know how many I have!!

Comment

aAnubiSs always tell me when it's him. He's a good chap in those regards. Of course, no one would ever tell you if they gave you a neg rep point. That would be too honest.

Comment

I've got three green dots
        and five black ones
        people no like me. ah well.
        i'd rather not know who's giving me the reputation points, but i'd prefer to have a comment posted with it as to what its for.

Comment

If there even is something official in the rules about "protected threads", then does anyone else think that it should be required to be in the title somewhere? You know, kind of like SPOILERS? To warn/remind you that this thread is not just open for everyone? Just a new idea of mine... maybe one of you wandering moderators might take note of the idea? (hint, hint)
          There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

If there even is something official in the rules about "protected threads", then does anyone else think that it should be required to be in the title somewhere? You know, kind of like SPOILERS? To warn/remind you that this thread is not just open for everyone? Just a new idea of mine... maybe one of you wandering moderators might take note of the idea? (hint, hint)
            it might be a good idea to have "protected" in the threads title alright. but even so, i think its just common knowledge and general curtosy to not go into a thread that is obviously in favour of something like ship when there are clearly other threads for ship discussion and anti ship and other pairings where you can post the kind of thing that you posted. also, i think a lot of people may have taken offense to the way your post was phrased. other people have made similar mistakes in the past and from what i've seen did not recieve anything other than a friendly reply stating the name of the thread they might prefer.
            personally i did find your post to be fairly insulting and antagonistic, but i didn't bother adding to your rep.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
              personally i did find your post to be fairly insulting and antagonistic, but i didn't bother adding to your rep.
              Was it really that bad?...
              Well if you get a chance please just let everyone over there know that I'm really sorry if they felt insulted by my post. It won't happen again! And thanks for not bothering. I've definitely learned my lesson about "protected threads"! (Watching your reputation literally double it's size in less than one day with all red dots kinda does that to you, huh?)
              There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

The Shipper Thread did have a caveat on the first page. I know that we cannot expect anyone to read a whole thread when it's large, and there's nothing wrong with jumping in towards the end and posting, but I'd recommend that anyone who does that reads the first post of the thread anyway to get an idea of what the topic is (thread titles don't always make it as clear as the first post itself, and the thread-starter has the right to set the topic.

I can't remember your post well enough to comment on it. But I'm sure you could post yourself in the shipper thread, if you want to apologise. They'll be nice, honest

Madeleine

Comment

Was it really that bad?...
                  Well if you get a chance please just let everyone over there know that I'm really sorry if they felt insulted by my post. It won't happen again! And thanks for not bothering. I've definitely learned my lesson about "protected threads"! (Watching your reputation literally double it's size in less than one day with all red dots kinda does that to you, huh?)
                  I agree with Madeleine if you want to post an apology on the shipper thread, I'm sure everyone will be nice. I know I will, especially when you didn't know about the whole "protected threads" thing.
                  ~Athena

Comment

Just one more question. Whats the difference between a grey dot and a red dot. As far as i know, there's only i approve and i disaprove, soo, where does the third on comes from?
                    "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Wow, thats sooooo cooool. I just got a grey(I assume a bad one) dot just for posting this thread. Isn't this funny?

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Newbies can give rep, but whether they click the positive or negative buttons it comes out grey, and the number of points given is always zero. So you only can tell what the point is for if there's a comment with it.

Once a poster has been here a little while the rep they give becomes green or red, and it will either add or subtract a point from your rep total.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                          Newbies can give rep, but whether they click the positive or negative buttons it comes out grey, and the number of points given is always zero. So you only can tell what the point is for if there's a comment with it.

Once a poster has been here a little while the rep they give becomes green or red, and it will either add or subtract a point from your rep total.
                          I see. So the grey one means actually nothing? Like when they give me a point without a comment I dunno then whether it was a good one or a bad one?

+When do you know when your points become woth of something?
                          +Does the grey dot changes if the poster will be here enogh long time? Or it will always stay grey?

Comment

Shrug off any grey points,veneticuss.They will never activate.
                            As to when rep can be given as green or red ? No idea.
                            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                              Shrug off any grey points,veneticuss.They will never activate.
                              As to when rep can be given as green or red ? No idea.

I'm guessing one week at the earliest and one month max? It surely can't be a hige amount.
                              __

__

Comment

No idea.
                                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                                X