Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got an email today about a grant administrator position at our central office. Tempting. Although I did apply today to be an academic dean at a middle school. I've wanted to get into a deanship for quite awhile now. This would at least be a foot in the door.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
      Is there a shortage of teachers with a technical degree (Think maths, physics, engineer) in the US too? Because here there are very few people with a technical degree that want to work in education, partially because of the classes and partially because it pays so little compared to the businesses and not to mention the lack of career opportunities.

Also, most people with technical degrees here that do go into education remain at the universities because they get paid more and they can do fun stuff like research.
      Absolutely, unequivocally yes.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      I got an email today about a grant administrator position at our central office. Tempting. Although I did apply today to be an academic dean at a middle school. I've wanted to get into a deanship for quite awhile now. This would at least be a foot in the door.
      The grant administrator position is certainly an important one. We have someone now who is brilliant at it, and our school system has benefited greatly from his expertise.

Nola, I know you're in a large school now. I was amazed at the difference it made to move from high school to middle school because of the difference in school size. I went from 2100 kids to 850. The high school took up a whole city block for the building alone. It really is more comfortable being in a smaller environment.

In some ways, seventh and eighth graders are worse than high school freshmen. They've learned they can be defiant, but they haven't yet learned why they might not want to be. There's also a herd mentality that starts to ease up in high school as some kids grow more self-possessed. Agewise, I do have to say that the older kids suit me better.

Being a dean here is almost always a stepping stone to more advanced administrative positions, usually assistant principal to principal to central office. My impression is that the grant writing position is the more important of the two. I'd say apply for both. You never know what will happen.

Where do you stand now with your doctorate?
      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

i'm pathetic about disciplining myself to write. I should be much further along than I am.
        sigpic

Comment

i'm pathetic about disciplining myself to write. I should be much further along than I am.
          Or you're a teacher who's very busy during the school year.

You're not working this summer, are you?
          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
          May we all be so well loved.

Comment

no I'm not. So I'm going to force myself to work on the dissertation. I'm just terribly un-wordy. Rather a Joe Friday kind of writer - just the facts ma'am. So I wind up with three citations for every sentence and it takes me forever.
            sigpic

Comment

I need help and to sulk

This is my second semester student teaching. I have gotten absolutely NO direction from my cooperating teachers and my class teacher -- college/course teacher -- tells me that I should initiate the discussions and what not ... When I have tried my CTs have treated me like scum on their shoe! How do I deal with this? I have finally come across a CT that actually does engage me in discussion when I ask her questions, instead of wiping me on the carpet like scum on her shoe ...

I'm really perplexed and don't know what to do

I'm going to bed ...

Adrianne
              If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
              It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

I cannot imagine a CT acting so badly. In my district you have to volunteer to become a CT and it is with the understanding that you will guide the student teacher in methodologies and classroom management. Part of that means allowing the student teacher to actually TEACH - it is, after all, a practicum and practice is what it is all about.
                sigpic

Comment

Oh, Darn! McCaine and others are praising Hillary Clinton. That means it's over.

I support Obama, too, but I leaned toward Senator Clinton.
                  Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

I cannot imagine a CT acting so badly. In my district you have to volunteer to become a CT and it is with the understanding that you will guide the student teacher in methodologies and classroom management. Part of that means allowing the student teacher to actually TEACH - it is, after all, a practicum and practice is what it is all about.
                    Apparently, it's not just me that's having this problem! Everyone seems to be having a problem with their CT this semester!

Today was a lot better... At least now I know what teacher in the class is actually my CT and evaluating me!!! NOW THAT THE SEMESTER IS HALF OVER! Oo well.

I got to do sorting with the kids and I was pretty crushed that the kids had no idea what to do ... My course teacher implied, I think, that this comes naturally With these kids the only thing that comes naturally is breaking things

Adrianne
                    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
                      Oh, Darn! McCaine and others are praising Hillary Clinton. That means it's over.

I support Obama, too, but I leaned toward Senator Clinton.

I love that after all her negativity towards Obama she's now, apparently, all, "Oh I'll be his VP, sure!"

Adrianne
                      (I don't like Hilary, btw )

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Meanwhile in Dutch political news: New embryo selection plan is leading to political tenson as two of the coalition partners share opposite views. Will this cabinet finally fall or will it be the first cabinet since 1998 that serves out its term?
                        Signed,

Gregorius
                        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post

I love that after all her negativity towards Obama she's now, apparently, all, "Oh I'll be his VP, sure!"

Adrianne
                          (I don't like Hilary, btw )
                          That's just politics. If she takes it and they win, she'd be the first female Vice President. That stands for something.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                            Meanwhile in Dutch political news: New embryo selection plan is leading to political tenson as two of the coalition partners share opposite views. Will this cabinet finally fall or will it be the first cabinet since 1998 that serves out its term?
                            The Dutch Cabinets haven't lasted a term since 1998? How do they hold things together.

Comment

The Dutch Cabinets haven't lasted a term since 1998? How do they hold things together.
                              Heh. France does the same thing As I recall.

Comment

They ruin everything in the time they have. Currently we're on the 4th cabinet in 6 years, all with the same prime minister, and those 4 cabinets managed to do (or wreck) a lot.

Originally posted by gatelover12 View Post
                                Heh. France does the same thing As I recall.
                                Italy.
                                Signed,

Gregorius
                                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Working...
                                X