This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Queen Eleta
    hmmm... I'm somewhere in the middle of you and Hats. I wheeze alot when the air is bad, or around allergy triggers. Sometimes in high humidity, I was a little worried about being in Vancouver, but it wasn't bad. I can have really bad, nearly life ending attacks too, but I usually have some warning, so I can get to the hospital. It has been a few years since one that bad. I don't wheeze with exercise anymore, because I have been exercising daily for about four years.
    I love exercising ... But I've been doing 'low impact' exercising. I've taken up Pilates and love it. The most I do to really get the blood flowin' is running up and down the stairs at the arena for hockey games ... If I took my inhaler hours ago, say that morning, my lungs HATE ME for the rest of the game, especially if it's cold out ... I won't be able to catch my breath the entire game

Adrianne
    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
    It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP
      That is the World's Best Reply right there! ::High 5:: That is just such a great reply it made me giggle

Adrianne
      Thenk yew, thenk yew very much.

Listening to you guys, I'm very glad I missed the "asthma gene" in my family (my dad and sister are the lucky recipients). Scary!
      sigpic
      Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Eleta
        hmmm... I'm somewhere in the middle of you and Hats. I wheeze alot when the air is bad, or around allergy triggers. Sometimes in high humidity, I was a little worried about being in Vancouver, but it wasn't bad. I can have really bad, nearly life ending attacks too, but I usually have some warning, so I can get to the hospital. It has been a few years since one that bad. I don't wheeze with exercise anymore, because I have been exercising daily for about four years.
        I ran the Chicago Marathon wheezing along the whole way. . Pyewackett has hiked a couple small mountains with me and is quite adjusted to my wheezing. Exercising regularly won't make it go away, but I learned how to deal with it and get the most oxygen. Stairs and mountains with dust or humidity are the most difficult. It sounds awful, but my asthma actually calms down after a while instead of getting worse. That's a blessing. If it gets bad, I just stop exercising.

Your kind of asthma doesn't work that way.
        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by SqueeG-1

Listening to you guys, I'm very glad I missed the "asthma gene" in my family (my dad and sister are the lucky recipients). Scary!
          I'm the only one in my family to have it. Apparently, there is a cousin who has it but in my immediate family, I am the only one to have it. Which means no one else in my immediate family can really understand what it's like to just be talking one minute and not breathing the next.

I would love to blame my mom's smoking on my asthma but since I'm the only one in the family to have asthma and mom very rarely smokes around me ... It's kind of hard to blame her

But cigarette smoke is most definitely a trigger! Just smelling the stale smoke chokes me.

Adrianne
          If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
          It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

I feel that way about my family's allergies. I've escaped the worst of it. Of course, then I adopt a dog with allergies. It's my karma.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP
              But cigarette smoke is most definitely a trigger! Just smelling the stale smoke chokes me.

Adrianne
              When I was a kid, everyone smoked, even the family pet (just kidding). I believe that's why I have asthma, but who really knows?

You know what sets me off the worst? Spray air disinfectants like Lysol. I knew a women who walked into a bathroom at her work where they just sprayed that stuff and ended up in the hospital. Strong scents don't set off my asthma, but they can really give me a headache.
              Last edited by Hatusu; 10 April 2006, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Puppy! Do you have to take the dog in for needles for that? I know someone who has to take their cat to the vet every 6 weeks for a shot.

Adrianna - my parents would be able to sympathize with you. My dad's stopped breathing a couple times because of his asthma. I've never seen one of his really bad attacks (thank goodness!).
                sigpic

Comment

Puppy! Do you have to take the dog in for needles for that? I know someone who has to take their cat to the vet every 6 weeks for a shot.
                  I was giving her allergy shots for a while, but they didn't work. My dog has been tested and the poor thing is allergic to beef and barley and carrots and dust and feathers and a ton of plants. She gets a bit of a break in the winter, but she goes back on Prednisone next week. She also gets thyroid medicine which helps (She tests low normal). Her allergies have cost me a bundle, but she's a good, affectionate doggie

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                    I was giving her allergy shots for a while, but they didn't work. My dog has been tested and the poor thing is allergic to beef and barley and carrots and dust and feathers and a ton of plants. She gets a bit of a break in the winter, but she goes back on Prednisone next week. She also gets thyroid medicine which helps (She tests low normal). Her allergies have cost me a bundle, but she's a good, affectionate doggie
                    Wow - poor dog! But puppies are such a large part of the family that it's impossible not to do whatever you can for them.

I tried to explain that to a non-pet owning friend of mine once. I said, "Put it this way, my pup has been a part of my family as long as my youngest sister. I see her every day and she wakes me up in the morning. I'm closer to her than I am to my extended family!" (My friend still couldn't quite grasp the concept.)
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow - poor dog! But puppies are such a large part of the family that it's impossible not to do whatever you can for them.

I tried to explain that to a non-pet owning friend of mine once. I said, "Put it this way, my pup has been a part of my family as long as my youngest sister. I see her every day and she wakes me up in the morning. I'm closer to her than I am to my extended family!" (My friend still couldn't quite grasp the concept.)
                      ((((((SqueeG-1 & Pup))))))

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                        ((((((SqueeG-1 & Pup))))))
                        You're too sweet! ((((((Hatusu))))))
                        sigpic

Comment

You're too sweet! ((((((Hatusu))))))
                          Thanks. . Well, I must get some work done. Bye for now.

Comment

Joining in on the asthma conversation... Put me on the list of exercise-induced asthmatics. High humidity makes even walking hard. It's not too bad if the air's fairly clean though.

And don't get me started on cigarette smoke (again).
                            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Quick favor request:

If you see this in the next ten minutes, please click on my handle and send a test e-mail to me. I can't remember which e-mail addy I used to register, and to where e-mail will be sent.

Thanks.

Comment

Great, message received. Thanks Adrianne!

Comment

Working...
                                X