This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jafana
    But LOL!!! you are gonna have to change your sig - you've written JFA instead of SFA! hehe.
    Whoops your right. And i can't even blame the evil typodeamons since the es button is no way near the jay one .

Oh well easily fixed.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Yay CW, you're officially in!!

DFA: Thanks for the offer, but my hard working first prime handles that kind of stuff for me.. she's the one who designed my sig, as well as her own.

So we're all good

Comment

Yay CW, you're officially in!!

DFA: Thanks for the offer, but my hard working first prime handles that kind of stuff for me.. she's the one who designed my sig, as well as her own.

So we're all good

Cool. Peace I'm outta here.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I must now lament that I've been spoiled for Lockdown
          (Dammit and I was doing so well!!!)

I was searching for transcripts of rising (of which I found one of the WORST transcripts I have ever read - the transcriber at the beginning when describing the opening sequence used the phrase "Think 'The Little Mermaid!' It just got worse from there.")

In the process I found a site discussing the upcoming season... but it was so badly designed I had no idea that they were actually discussing the upcoming season.. Normally by their rank you know about which season is being discussed - this site used first names only - thus I was reading, and by the time I realised it was a spoiler it was too late

Gahhh.. that will teach me for going elsewhere other than GW.

Comment

So annoying when you can actually see a spoiler warning, with something so simple. I must admit GW does a good job about spoilers!
            __

__

Comment

I agree with spoiler space, but theres a few things...
              EVERYTHING IS A SPOILER. Say someone who hasnt seen the show and is intrested comes across the site and sees thatin the forusm theres seasons 1 thru 8 and atlantis season one, their gonna be spoiled cause they kno atlantis is out and there 8s seasons out and htey wont wanna watch it cuase itll beto far to catch up. Or they'll go in General and find out abotu character that coems out in season 4 when their on season 3. The fact is you can have a real conversation with spoiler space enforced to the point that I feel you wish it to be. Heres the thing, we need to have a compromise in Spoilers.

For each category should have a certain spoiler rule.
              General you should be able to spoil without the spoiler space atleast upto 5 or 6.
              in Season 1 thru 5 you shouldnt be able to spoil at all.
              in season 6 you should be able to spoil seasons 1 thru 4
              in season 7 1 thru 5
              in season 8 1 thru 6
              in atlantis you should refrain from spoiling each episode inconsideration for those who misit or have to wait for dvds or tapes to come out to see it. so in atlantis you should only spoil basic knowledge but no more than that.

I think this way people can have conversations with out the likely post complaing about spoiler space. Dont get me wrong its a good cause but starting a little clan is a little out of hand and wont solve muchcompromise with commonsense rules. And I nkow you'll say commonsense has been tried and no its time for action, but what can you do? only the mods and admins can do anything. The rules say use spoiler space and point out episode and cateogry and al lthat but come on everytihng is a spoiler. But honestly i assume people think that most of people that watch the series are atleast at seasons 5 or 6. A comprimise should be made instead of waging war upon everyone who doesnt think of sometihgn as a spoiler, that would be as evil as... SPOILER SPACE the gou'ald.

Once again dont get me wrong, I feel sorry for those who are spoiled by accident, and ur cause is just but it should of been a compromise and then if someone put a psoiler i na spoiler free zone then u can tell them to change the message. or say add spoiler space. If you want I can draw up a little compromise/treaty now and if the mods or admins would liek they could make everyone agree to it like the Terms and Conditions things. But thats ifyoud like, actually im kinda bored and i might do it anyway but if u ask I will for sure lol
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Hi there Metonic!

Firstly, what you say about spoilers is valid. But are you sure you have understood our purpose here correctly?

I read your proposal, but in actual fact, we are asking for much, much less than that!

Originally posted by Metonic
                EVERYTHING IS A SPOILER. Say someone who hasnt seen the show and is intrested comes across the site and sees thatin the forusm theres seasons 1 thru 8 and atlantis season one, their gonna be spoiled cause they kno atlantis is out and there 8s seasons out and htey wont wanna watch it cuase itll beto far to catch up. Or they'll go in General and find out abotu character that coems out in season 4 when their on season 3. The fact is you can have a real conversation with spoiler space enforced to the point that I feel you wish it to be. Heres the thing, we need to have a compromise in Spoilers.

For each category should have a certain spoiler rule.
                General you should be able to spoil without the spoiler space atleast upto 5 or 6.
                in Season 1 thru 5 you shouldnt be able to spoil at all.
                in season 6 you should be able to spoil seasons 1 thru 4
                in season 7 1 thru 5
                in season 8 1 thru 6
                in atlantis you should refrain from spoiling each episode inconsideration for those who misit or have to wait for dvds or tapes to come out to see it. so in atlantis you should only spoil basic knowledge but no more than that.

I think this way people can have conversations with out the likely post complaing about spoiler space. Dont get me wrong its a good cause but starting a little clan is a little out of hand and wont solve muchcompromise with commonsense rules. And I nkow you'll say commonsense has been tried and no its time for action, but what can you do? only the mods and admins can do anything. The rules say use spoiler space and point out episode and cateogry and al lthat but come on everytihng is a spoiler. But honestly i assume people think that most of people that watch the series are atleast at seasons 5 or 6. A comprimise should be made instead of waging war upon everyone who doesnt think of sometihgn as a spoiler, that would be as evil as... SPOILER SPACE the gou'ald.

We don't think stuff from the earlier seasons is spoilerish at all and we don't demand spoiler space for season 1 or 3 stuff. The only thing we ask for spoiler space on is recent seasons, the ones that haven't aired in syndication yet (as per the spoiler rules on the forum). That means season 7 and 8 and season 6.

Anything before that isn't considered a spoiler by us at all. And we aren't even all that vigilant about 6-7. We are mostly concerned with Season 8 and Atlantis.

I think the way the spoiler rules are now is fairly straightforward and easy to remember. If we start having different rules for different sections of the forum, people might get confused, leading to all the more forgetfulness or incorrect use of spoiler space.

As things are, if the thread title and the first post has a spoiler warning, then all the threads in that post don't need to bother with spoiler space. I think that is a pretty fair deal.

[/QUOTE]
                Once again dont get me wrong, I feel sorry for those who are spoiled by accident, and ur cause is just but it should of been a compromise and then if someone put a psoiler i na spoiler free zone then u can tell them to change the message. or say add spoiler space. If you want I can draw up a little compromise/treaty now and if the mods or admins would liek they could make everyone agree to it like the Terms and Conditions things. But thats ifyoud like, actually im kinda bored and i might do it anyway but if u ask I will for sure lol
                Actually, that is pretty much what we do already. We aren't mods or anything (as you point out). So all we do is remind people about using spoiler space if they forget, or we PM them if we think it is a newbie and they might not know about it - after all, we don't want to embarass them in front of the whole forum. In very rare cases where it is a major spoiler and it seems justified, we might report a spoiler-post to a mod and let them deal with it. I've only ever done this once, and that was before we even started this SFA thing. We put spoiler-space reminders in our sigs as a way of reminding people *before* they make a blunder and somebody gets spoiled. We try to do this in a humorous/lighthearted way, so as not to come across as too offensive.

I really don't think we are asking anything unreasonable, just that people remember the pre-existing forum rules about spoilers.

It's not like we are an angry mob hunting them down lol. In fact, I started a whole thread just in order to thank everyone here on the forum for remembering to use spoiler space lately. I really think there has been an improvement.

So I'm afraid I'm not sure what kind of compromise you might mean, since we don't ask anything above and beyond what the forum itself asks of its members. But if you would still like to explain you comprimise, you are most welcome to post it here for comments.

This thread is for anybody who feels strongly about the spoiler issue, whether they are personally concerned about being spoiled or not. And you are obviously concerned enough about the issue to post your opinion, so feel free to come back and tell us what you think.

Comment

well my idea was for a comprimise type thing that will allow Certain spoilers like in the category for seasons 1 thru 5, no spoilers unless Spoiler Space is given, In seasons 6 No spoilers for season 6 7 and 8 unless spoiler psace is given in season 7 not sapoilers for 7 and 8 unless spoiler space is given. in season 8 no spoilers for 8 unless psoiler space is given. The reason i am upset is that i have seen people asking for spoiler spaces and placing spoiler spaces in ridiculas areas. liek in General people place Spoiler warnings on the first episode and they only mention a tiny piece of it. Or spoiler spaces on ships and species and stuff liek that. General Category should be Spoiler Space Free for seasons 1 to 6. I have seen spoiler warnings for season seven and 6 in season 8 its common knowledge that if ur in season 8 your gonna have prevous seasons spoiled. As much as I like the fact people are trying to do spoiler space, they're doing it for small things like the goua'ld have a SPOILER SPACE Cargo Ship or Oniell is a Spoiler Space General. its annoying theres gotta be a balanced to the system, put spolier spaces up for new episodes and things theres a chance people might nto of seen like seasons 7 and 8 but not for things alot of people seen.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

well my idea was for a comprimise type thing that will allow Certain spoilers like in the category for seasons 1 thru 5, no spoilers unless Spoiler Space is given, In seasons 6 No spoilers for season 6 7 and 8 unless spoiler psace is given in season 7 not sapoilers for 7 and 8 unless spoiler space is given. in season 8 no spoilers for 8 unless psoiler space is given. The reason i am upset is that i have seen people asking for spoiler spaces and placing spoiler spaces in ridiculas areas. liek in General people place Spoiler warnings on the first episode and they only mention a tiny piece of it. Or spoiler spaces on ships and species and stuff liek that. General Category should be Spoiler Space Free for seasons 1 to 6. I have seen spoiler warnings for season seven and 6 in season 8 its common knowledge that if ur in season 8 your gonna have prevous seasons spoiled. As much as I like the fact people are trying to do spoiler space, they're doing it for small things like the goua'ld have a SPOILER SPACE Cargo Ship or Oniell is a Spoiler Space General. its annoying theres gotta be a balanced to the system, put spolier spaces up for new episodes and things theres a chance people might nto of seen like seasons 7 and 8 but not for things alot of people seen.
                    I can't really say much except that...I pretty much agree with you.

I've never asked anyone to put spoiler space for a season 1-6 episode. I'm pretty sure none of the other SFA members have either, though you'd have to check with them.

I've never seen anyone using pointless spoiler space, but then I have been avoiding a lot of threads that I think might contain spoilers (preventitive measures lol).

As for not worrying about season 7 spoilers in a season 8 thread etc...you would need to ask a mod's opinion on that one, since the forum rules technically mean you would still have to include spoiler space in the first post. I personally have never even thought about being spoiled for a season 7 ep in the 8 folder, but I suppose it is possible some people are peeking in the 8 folder to see whether the season ahead of them has been well received. But I figure if in doubt, stick to the forum rules.

Actually, asking a mod about that probably isn't a bad idea. Who knows, maybe they will clarify it for you, or even ammend the forum rules.

All I can say is that I don't believe the SFA is responsible for any of the spoiler-misuse you have noticed.

I don't think it is a huge inconvenience for people to simply put the word 'spoilers, S8 Affinity' or something in their thread title...that way the pressure is off them and anyone who stumbles on a spoiler, does so through nobody's fault but their own.

Comment

Wow what an anti-spoiler club..
                      O'Neill: Right, Carter you can fix it right?
                      Carter: Uh, I don't know sir...
                      O'Neill: What?!!??
                      -From Red Sky

Comment

Originally posted by Ocelot
                        Wow what an anti-spoiler club..
                        Well we're not anti-spoiler exactly. We just advocate cautious handling of them in threads that aren't clearly marked that way.

Spoilers should come with 'handle with care' stickers lol. But people are free to enjoy and share their spoilers,the way they are supposed to be shared, as much as they like.

We won't stop them.

We just want the space

Comment

I must now lament that I've been spoiled for Lockdown
                          (Dammit and I was doing so well!!!)
                          Oops, Jafana! I hate it when that happens! Seriously, I do. I think I've been lucky so far, but I tend not to stray too far from GW. I especially avoid the "shippy" sites where, based on spoilers, calls for this or that tend to get placed so prominently on the home pages.
                          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                          once done, cannot be undone...
                          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

EVERYTHING IS A SPOILER.
                            Metonic, thanks for your thoughtful post. However, I really don't think the rules for spoilers need to be that complicated. I simply link to the rules already in the FAQ.

I never, ever want to squash anyone's desire to know/read/discuss spoilers, I just want the option of not participating. Not speaking for the whole of SFA , I primarily want descriptive subject lines that are NOT spoilers in themselves, episode-specific spoiler warnings in the subject and spoiler space/warning when someone is going to inject a spoiler in an otherwise un-spoiled thread. After that, spoil away!

BTW, those are the existing rules, established and enforced by the Moderators. I'm not asking for anything more than that.
                            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                            once done, cannot be undone...
                            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Yup Antrho girl, that is pretty much what I want too.

The only thing the current forum rules don't address is putting spoilers in your sig. I've been spoiled from a sig before, and since Zero Hour aired, someone has actually included a direct quote from the episode in their sig...one that basically gives away the ending.

Since the person was posting in the Season 8 folder, it wasn't a problem. But the issue with spoilers in your sig is that you're not just putting the spoiler in the folder you are currently in, but in every thread you have ever or will ever post in.

That's like an uber-spoiler lol.

Anyway, I didn't say anything to the person with the sig in question because somebody else had already done so (and not an SFA member). It didn't spoil me since I've already seen Zero Hour.

And I have to say...I am SOOOOOOOO glad I didn't get spoiled for that episode
                              I loved it sooo much and I'm really grateful to everyone who used the spoiler space that I didn't get spoiled even one iota for it.

I hope I can keep this up week-to-week (what makes it hard is that I don't get to see the ep when everyone else does, hence there is a lot of discussion here about it before I've seen it...so I basically just avoid the forum for a couple of days until I get to watch.

Alas, Jafana can't do that as she's constantly at least an episode behind...currently two.

Comment

Metonic:

Not sure if my above posts made it clear or not, but I do think you have a good point about people using spoiler space innappropriately.

People using spoiler space when they *clearly* don't have to can be just as irritating (well, almost) as when they forget altogether.

So in a way, you agree with us If what you want is for people to use spoiler space *correctly*, then you stand basically for the same things we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X