Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New TV Series for Michael Shanks - CTV's "Saving Hope" Picked Up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for letting us know the obvious...
    sigpic
    Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

*shrugs*...Oh well, we can't escape facts can we?....I'm just concentrating on supporting another Stargate actor who caught a break....whether it's big or small I'll support him and watch....

Just a shame that there's nowhere that the UK and Europe can join in the fun....even on the official sites many "free" viewings are blocked... ...I'd have loved to have been part of being able to help with the viewing numbers but my support is of no consequence at the moment and that makes me mad...

Deeds xx
      sigpic
      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

I like hospital dramas and this one has an interesting twist.

I live near Toronto. For some reason I thought Saving Hope was being filmed in Vancouver. Imagine my surprise when a FB friend posted a picture of a scene of this show being filmed in my town! Not only that but they rented my church hall for the day!

Imagine, Michael Shanks may have sat on a chair that I sit on regularly!
        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Y'know, reading through the posts, I can say I see both sides of the story. I loved the premier of Saving Hope, but I'm a big fan of character-centric stories. I liked how it delved into each of the characters' reactions.

That said, I can see where certain portions of the acting was lacking. Especially since I know what Michael is capable of. (We see exactly what in SG-1 episodes like "Legacy" and "Lifeboat.")

All that aside, however, I've noticed something about new shows, and it goes for the beginnings of stories as well. As a published author myself, I find myself going back and editing the first portion of the story to polish it up. With TV series, you don't really have that option. Most series that I've watched are a bit rocky in the first episode, smooth out a bit in the second, and then pick up steam from there. I really hope that's what happens here.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            Also does anyone know how many original Canadian series have premiered this season? Arctic Air and The L.A. Complex come to mind but were there any others? With luck this series may improve and survive.
            Continuum is the only one I can think of, although I'm no expert.

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
            Y'know, reading through the posts, I can say I see both sides of the story. I loved the premier of Saving Hope, but I'm a big fan of character-centric stories. I liked how it delved into each of the characters' reactions.

That said, I can see where certain portions of the acting was lacking. Especially since I know what Michael is capable of. (We see exactly what in SG-1 episodes like "Legacy" and "Lifeboat.")

All that aside, however, I've noticed something about new shows, and it goes for the beginnings of stories as well. As a published author myself, I find myself going back and editing the first portion of the story to polish it up. With TV series, you don't really have that option. Most series that I've watched are a bit rocky in the first episode, smooth out a bit in the second, and then pick up steam from there. I really hope that's what happens here.
            There was a year between the pilot being made and the start of series filming. That's plenty of time for changes and tweaking, and it does need both. It will be interesting the see the next episode in light of that.

I enjoyed it, although it does have problems. And omg really, get rid of the lens flare already!

It could well be a slow burner ... I just hope (hah!) it's give time to develop and grow. Given the speed with which shows are canned these days, I'm not sure it'll get it.

I do remain hopeful, though, and wish Michael well.

Comment

2nd episdoe - much better than the 1st. I really liked this one. Now I can't wait for the next episode.

Only one thing I really didn't like - the songs. Uggh - mute time.
              (I didn't like the songs in the 1st ep either)
              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I enjoyed this episode more than the first as well. Michael and Erica were great in it, and I was glad we got the supporting characters fleshed out a little more.

Comment

Really enjoyed the second episode much more than the first! They toned down the lens flares, which was helpful, and the character interaction was SO much better. I was really able to connect to the characters a bit more.

Comment

My wife and I enjoyed episode 2 very much. We really hope that this show makes it.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Nice to see the ratings for ep 2 were up in Canada and the States. Is this unusual after the first ep? I always thought ratings tended to dip after the first show. *shrugs* What I know about ratings you could write on the back of a postage stamp and still have room for more.

FWIW, I thought this week's ep was way better than the pilot. The pacing was better, the characters more assured and there were some genuinely funny one-liners. Good guest performances, too.

Onwards to ep 3. This little show's a grower ...

Comment

0.7 in the adults 18-49 demo for both episodes, this should never have been given to NBC methinks. Given thier track record.

Comment

Just watched it....and enjoyed it.....LOVED the interaction between Charlie and the young boy...Michael Shanks most certainly should work with children and possibly animals!..

Yep it's getting a tad pacier, the storylines are reasonably thought provoking in a mild mannered way and it was strange to see three women in one series that Michael Shanks has acted/interacted with before....the actress playing Charlie's ex-wife also played his murdering g/friend in CSI Miami, the new head of Surgery was in Suddenly Naked with him and of course this is third time out with Erica....

The man certainly gets around with some fine ladies!!..

Got my two episodes copied onto the iPad now...very useful for long journeys and travel!..will be adding to them hopefully soon...

Deeds xx
                          Last edited by discodiva; 17 June 2012, 11:34 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Contact
                            Spoiler:
                            A week ago, Saving Hope premiered to reception that was less then favorable and less then middling viewership numbers. (though it did look like a success for eOne) One thing that is known that after the first episode; things supposedly get better... Well the second episode is better; they have their own set, they improved the chemistry and they even reduced the lens glare (which is appreciated, much better.) but honestly, it's only a minor improvement; even with the plot they have going on.

This episode does show that there's more to it then it being a Greg's Anatomy inspired show; for instance, it has many of the character moving up, situations changing and certain character relations being improved. Michael's wife is a specific example since this episode shows just how much her world changes without her if you can imagine being in her shoes, having to report to someone else then you can just imagine how she feels. Let's not forget about the relationships being formed, certain people getting involved in his life and the formation of a story arc that'll keep viewers interested. (because this show is about Michael; people would tune out if Michael did nothing but stand there while the people around him saved lives.) However, it still has some of that Greg's Anatomy feeling (especially in conversations), the camera angles and effects that seem generic (but done decently when the situation warrants it.), the music (again, also done decently), the same old cases that don't bother to be anything unique and the feeling that this is nothing more then a generic hospital drama with the gimmick of having Michael Shanks onboard. The characters here do serve their roles well and it is competent in it's execution but still...

Don't mind me, I'm just here for the ride...

One of the best things the episode has going for it is the focus on Michael, which is what the people will obviously flock to when they watch this episode. I find it nice that they begin to focus on Michael's world in the second episode, almost as if they're aware that they needed to do something or they'd lose their audience. We've only been hinted at it in the pilot episode, I mean who knows how this world exists and how many people inhabit it so to see some exploration of it is nice though the exploration of it is small in general as half of the episode consists of Michael's usual thing of narrating while he watches hospital life around him. But the other half where he encounters a boy who just so happens to be in a near-death state like him is pretty good; these scenes showcase what made Michael Shanks so good in the first place; by dropping the attempts to be dramatic and just being sensible and caring, he manages to provide a performance that is straight to the point, fits his character well and just may be the most dramatic performance that he has done yet; the bond between him and the boy isn't as good as you may expect but it does work to provide a sense of charm and cuteness that makes these scenes super special. It advances the story sure but it also shows how much of a nice guy Michael Shanks is and it reinforces the love he holds for his dear girlfriend.

Speaking of which, Michael's girlfriend continues her reign as one of the best actors of Saving Hope by continuing to act as good as she can be. She manages to act like she did in the first episode, stern, caring and a little bit emotional but this time she's putting a just a teensy bit more effort into it, I think that may be due to the improved chemistry the show has and the plotlines she's being put through... Throughout the episode, you can see her devotion as she saves lives, makes some casual conversation and just cares about Charlie in general; the scenes she does with the boy really showcases the characters skills as a doctor and it shows that she can really act when the moment calls for it. If there was one thing I disliked her in, it'd be the generic fight that isn't really a fight but it's a fight with Michael's ex-wife; I understand if this is relating to the lengths they have to take to save Michael but can it not be a fight? I want to focus on treatments that may not 100% work; not focus on a fight and whether or not these two will start duking it out in the end. I will admit, the thing she and Michael has is special and she makes it clear throughout the episode; whether it's in the hospital or even in the past, these two have a connection that carry the show. Fact.

[SIZE=1]A boy and Michael, a true bond.

There are certain things that irk me though, the promos that NBC showed during the last episode implied that the kid had a gift to see him and that he would be able to communicate with him while his wife doubted the kids ability. I doubt that it would work out the way it was implied but that promo was misleading and it also spoiled what was the best moment of the episode that happened in the end. The picture was something which I thought would happen in the middle or the beginning, not the end; if I were running NBC then I would of just omitted the picture entirely and just showed Shanks with the kid, that would of been 10x more powerful and effective then the promo that we got. Oh and there could of been a whole lot more with the kid, it was just a shame it had to be squeezed in with a couple of plots relating to other hospital patients and people who are not Michael Shanks.

So anyway, this is an improvement but not a major improvement. Michael Shanks and the kid is a very good plot, one that explores the world, gives credit to the character and also works to showcase the love between her girlfriend which is one of the best things the show has going for it. However... It still feels stuck in the generic hospital drama routine and even though the lens flare is reduced, there still needs to be a lot more work done. Still, this is more enjoyable then the previous episode and at least eOne has a successful Summer series under it's belt.

7.0/10
                            Back from the grave.

Comment

I'm watching Saving Hope just to see Michael Shanks act in a different type of show. He's really got great range and it's unfortunate that this show isn't a better platform for him to showcase his talent. I find it difficult to know that the best thing to happen in the storyline would also spell the end of the series. Mainly, having him wake up. I'm really wondering how they are going to perk this program up in the meantime. The Sci-Fi fan in me would love for him to develop some type of communication method that would allow him to interact with the rest of the cast. I'm just not to sure that idea would fly with the majority of the viewing public. Other than that, I'll be anxious to see how the writers can make the rest of the series any different than the first two episodes. Saving Hope will not just be the title after a couple more episodes. I'm afraid it will become, Saving the Show, instead...

Comment

Originally posted by 12OzMouse View Post
                                I'm watching Saving Hope just to see Michael Shanks act in a different type of show. He's really got great range and it's unfortunate that this show isn't a better platform for him to showcase his talent. I find it difficult to know that the best thing to happen in the storyline would also spell the end of the series. Mainly, having him wake up. I'm really wondering how they are going to perk this program up in the meantime. The Sci-Fi fan in me would love for him to develop some type of communication method that would allow him to interact with the rest of the cast. I'm just not to sure that idea would fly with the majority of the viewing public. Other than that, I'll be anxious to see how the writers can make the rest of the series any different than the first two episodes. Saving Hope will not just be the title after a couple more episodes. I'm afraid it will become, Saving the Show, instead...
                                I'm thinking that they are already in Saving the Show territory already.

For me, the day to day medical side of the show is well, very ordinary. They also seem to be wasting the gimmick of the show, Charlie. They don't seem to be utilising him very well, making his role very engaging. So on both sides they are shooting below par. There just doesn't seem to be enough oompf in the the show, something unique that makes the general viewers want to come back week after week.

I really hope they improve the series in later episodes otherwise I don't see it getting another season. Last year Combat Hospital did better numbers in both Canada and the States (and I feel it was a much better show all around) and it got canned.
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X