Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
    Spartacus is about gladiators (Rome was not. Showing a different part of Roman society, which was still full of sex and violence), and the gladiators short life was hard training, blood, death and brutality. They killed and died for the entertainment of others. What else do you expect a program about gladiators and their lives to depict? If you ignore all that stuff, it loses its realism. The only difference between now and the supposed "good old days when everything was rosy", is that the show runners are allowed to show more. Life 2000 years ago was harsh and unpleasant; now we live (have returned to) a point in time when we can finally show that reality.
    If you dont like the style, fair enough, but the show is about violent people in a violent job in a violent time.
    Great post. I agree with your view entirely.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Figured I would breathe some life into this thread.

sigpic

Comment

I think it's cool to work on one of these sets and then see how the final product turns out on screen. Definitely looks like a lot of work.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
          I think it's cool to work on one of these sets and then see how the final product turns out on screen. Definitely looks like a lot of work.
          Oh, most definitely. And overall, they have done a magnificent job on this show. I am sure that this final season will be every bit as visually stunning.
          sigpic
          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

The season premiere for War of the Damned will be January 25th 2013!

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/fi...-january-63921
            sigpic

Comment

Gah, they called Rome an empire in that article...It wasn't an empire at that point. But other than that, a good article.
              sigpic

Comment

Such a shame this is ending already, but it is going to be epic. I just know it.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                    Gah, they called Rome an empire in that article...It wasn't an empire at that point. But other than that, a good article.
                    Sure it was. Just because it didn't have a de jure dynasty yet doesn't mean they hadn't conquered and subjugated vast numbers of foreigners, while at the same time spreading their culture far beyond their own borders.

Cultural hegemony, is what I'm getting at here. Cultural imperialism. A bit like the States today, but with more swords and sandals.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Sure it was. Just because it didn't have a de jure dynasty yet doesn't mean they hadn't conquered and subjugated vast numbers of foreigners, while at the same time spreading their culture far beyond their own borders.

Cultural hegemony, is what I'm getting at here. Cultural imperialism. A bit like the States today, but with more swords and sandals.
                      Fair enough. I just meant that, historically, the Roman Empire namewise did not appear for a few more decades.
                      sigpic

Comment

I know what you're getting at. But if we're nitpicking, it was the principate from Augustus till the third century AD--still trying to maintain the facade of the Republic despite the de facto autocracy that was in place.

If we were nitpicking.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                          After seeing this, I am reminded of just how bad I want this season to get started already. At least it is getting closer.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I'm watching ROME for the first time because I need a fix before the next/last season of this...
                            sigpic

Comment

This final season of Spartacus should really be something special. I am starting to get very excited.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X