Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tal View Post
    2008?
    Richard Dean Anderson is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!!
    sigpic
    Hawaii-Five-O-Heat-Wave-Thunk-thread-of-hotness

Comment

Liked the premiere. Good to see this show back on the air again.

Spoiler:
      The triad games thing seemed really familiar- it was used on another cop show at some point. I kept thinking Mentalist, but I don't think that's right. I know that the betting was all arranged by... food placement or something.

Anyway, at the end of the ep when Beckett mentioned the dire straights faced by the widow, I fully expected there to be some hintage that Castle had given his winnings to her (Jane did that in one ep of Mentalist), but I guess with the way things went down maybe he didn't collect? Which means he's out $20K?

I also think Beckett let him off too easy. I guess they had to do that to set up the season, but I would have left him hanging until the next ep at least. Sure, the apology helps, but the damage is still done. *shrug* Dunno, it just made her seem too easy to placate. Maybe he SHOULD have gotten her flowers, too, like Cannell suggested.

Also on that note, I worry about the links tying the victims together. Does this mean her mom was into something dodgy? Or maybe her dad was and Mom just got caught in the crossfire? Will be interested to see how THAT develops.

Loved the little shout-out to Fame. Maybe it was just a crazy random happenstance, but I'm choosing to think of it as being a nice nod to Maurissa Tancharoen's brother.

Comment

There's also another shout out of relevance, the film Christmas Carol - Molly Quinn (Alexis) is in it - I laughted when I saw that moment!

Comment

Originally posted by Tal View Post
          There's also another shout out of relevance, the film Christmas Carol - Molly Quinn (Alexis) is in it - I laughted when I saw that moment!
          Ha! Nice. I wondered if there was a connection, but as I loathe Jim Carrey I haven't paid attention to who else is in it.

Comment

Enjoyed the episode last night, it was great!

I like Ryan's little line, "isn't this great? Mom and Dad fighting and a dead body in a tree, what could be better?" or something like that!

Anyhow, just bought Season 1 of "Castle" so now I get to watch without commercials or cut-off when I was taping it

Later
            sigpic

Comment

I missed that particular line, will have to watch again, but there are so many good moments in this episode!

Make sure you encourage all your friends/family to watch next week (and catch up on this week's ep/watch again) on Hulu or the ABC full episode viewer. Ratings could have been a lot better... I'm a little worried.

Comment

ABC's crime drama lost about half its "Dancing" lead-in and finished with 9.26 million viewers, on par with what it did last spring. While in raw numbers it's not that bad (it finished second across the board at 10, behind "CSI: Miami"), the retention from DWTS was not great.

Despite this, I think 9M plus viewers on a Monday night at 10pm is not bad. Castle picked up steam as the first season progressed, and I have high hopes it will move up as this second season progresses.

It was a very funny premier, lots of great lines. I just love the character interplay between Castle and Beckett.
                ---------------------
                sigpic
                Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

I think part of the problem is that Dancing is a pretty stupid lead-in for a show like Castle. It helps to have a complementary pairing. Monk & Psych have done well over the years (it'll be interesting to see what happens with Psych next season now that Monk's folding shop), I think Smallville and Supernatural did well and if I'm not mistaken the switch to Vampire Diaries has been pretty good, too. But Dancing with the Stars and Castle? There just isn't a lot of common ground, there. I'm sure there are folks who watch both, but I can't see legions of DWTS fans being inclined to stick around for a snarky author solving murders. And there is NOTHING that could entice me to watch DWTS. Well, OK, maybe if Neil Patrick Harris was involved, but he's not enough to get me to watch American Idol so there's no guarantees.

Comment

Hi Shadow,

I agree with you that it is not an ideal pairing. I think the logic of the network buffos is simply that DWTS has a larger audience, and in their simplistic minds, they will just stay tuned after it is over. Of course the legion of people who watch DWTS are 95% women (according to the stats I recall from the past), and I bet the audience of Castle is at least a majority men like me who watch it because we associate Nathan with action and like his humor. I know Nathan has a loyal female following but detective shows featuring a snarky male author and an eye candy detective are going to have a male centric audience (Like me!!).

Well, I still feel better about Castle then the anger seething away in me over the network idiocy occuring with Defying Gravity. In fact it is time to shoot over some emails on the latter to every network, and I will have to watch my contempt level when I write.
                    ---------------------
                    sigpic
                    Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      Liked the premiere. Good to see this show back on the air again.

Spoiler:
                      The triad games thing seemed really familiar- it was used on another cop show at some point. I kept thinking Mentalist, but I don't think that's right. I know that the betting was all arranged by... food placement or something.

Anyway, at the end of the ep when Beckett mentioned the dire straights faced by the widow, I fully expected there to be some hintage that Castle had given his winnings to her (Jane did that in one ep of Mentalist), but I guess with the way things went down maybe he didn't collect? Which means he's out $20K?

I also think Beckett let him off too easy. I guess they had to do that to set up the season, but I would have left him hanging until the next ep at least. Sure, the apology helps, but the damage is still done. *shrug* Dunno, it just made her seem too easy to placate. Maybe he SHOULD have gotten her flowers, too, like Cannell suggested.

Also on that note, I worry about the links tying the victims together. Does this mean her mom was into something dodgy? Or maybe her dad was and Mom just got caught in the crossfire? Will be interested to see how THAT develops.

Loved the little shout-out to Fame. Maybe it was just a crazy random happenstance, but I'm choosing to think of it as being a nice nod to Maurissa Tancharoen's brother.
                      In regard to Beckett's action....
                      Spoiler:
                      ....letting Castle off too easy after his apology. I figured that her boss and the mayor already told her that she was stuck with him regardless of what she wants. She already knew he'd still be around (even if he didn't) and his apology was so wonderful and heartfelt that she melted!

I really like this show even if it is cliche!
                      Desperate Thunker

Comment

Just got done watching the rest of the 1st ep. We had bad weather on Monday and the cable kept going out). Couldn't get ABC's viewer to work but found it over on Hulu.

My 1st suprise was how much the daughter has grown since the end of last season. She's not going to look like a kid much longer.

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                        I agree with you that it is not an ideal pairing. I think the logic of the network buffos is simply that DWTS has a larger audience, and in their simplistic minds, they will just stay tuned after it is over. Of course the legion of people who watch DWTS are 95% women (according to the stats I recall from the past), and I bet the audience of Castle is at least a majority men like me who watch it because we associate Nathan with action and like his humor. I know Nathan has a loyal female following but detective shows featuring a snarky male author and an eye candy detective are going to have a male centric audience (Like me!!).
                        I think of Nathan as the eye candy.

I don't watch DWTS but I've just about given up trying to understand the logic of network programmers.

Originally posted by Critter View Post
                        I really like this show even if it is cliche!
                        I think that's alot of the fun. They make the cliche-ness of it work. It's part drama/ part fun, part snark, part sexy (for the women or men take your pick).
                        sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                          Just got done watching the rest of the 1st ep. We had bad weather on Monday and the cable kept going out). Couldn't get ABC's viewer to work but found it over on Hulu.

My 1st suprise was how much the daughter has grown since the end of last season. She's not going to look like a kid much longer.

I think of Nathan as the eye candy.

I don't watch DWTS but I've just about given up trying to understand the logic of network programmers.

I think that's alot of the fun. They make the cliche-ness of it work. It's part drama/ part fun, part snark, part sexy (for the women or men take your pick).
                          So do I, I like watching Nathan and after meeting him and talking to him, I still like him. Some actors I watch and then meet, I don't want to watch after wards, not Nathan, probably cuz we are born in the same city

I have watched Season 1 on DVD Some of the episodes have commentaries on them and it fun to watch them! Molly Quinn once and and awhile yells out "minor in the room" and that Actors, Executive Producer and Writer laugh!

Anyhow, they mentioned on the show how the dynamic is... How Castle is surrounded by women in his life to keep him centered and how Beckett is the same at the police station. And the EP and Writer say "oh so that is how it is" (with sarcasm) so, I think the show is good for Men and Woman, whom ever they like to follow, I like watching Nathan, oh the dynamic between the Detective's Ryan and Esposito

Speaking of Detective Ryan, he is currently on a episode of C.S.I. - Vegas, playing a bad guy Guest role I guess
                          sigpic

Comment

Okay I have watched Season 1 of Castle and of course very good again!

Now I am watching last weeks episode and have noticed that painting of the stairwell, in Castle's home office, behind his desk, has grown big time since Season 1 or is it just me!

yes daughter does look a whole lot older too!
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh my...Tonight's episode!!

Spoiler:
                              Started laughing at the beginning and didn't quit till the end,

Except when Alexis and Dad were talking about Owen.

Oh and Det. Ryan and his one liners.. LOL!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OneillTwo"LL"s View Post
                                Oh my...Tonight's episode!!

Spoiler:
                                Started laughing at the beginning and didn't quit till the end,

Except when Alexis and Dad were talking about Owen.

Oh and Det. Ryan and his one liners.. LOL!!
                                This was a great episode! I might have laughed more at the looks everyone was giving each other than the lines. Especially before Beckett knew about the bet.

Good board work?!?!
                                sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Working...
                                X