Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    Most of us do here just we are tired of waiting for the next Stargate chapter.
    2021 is still more than 9 months away... That's a lifetime in merchandise/franchise world, especially in a franchise that hasn't seen anything alive in more than a decade.

The RPG has gained a little extra time for development and testing.
    According to Nick, they haven't changed much since they opened up for beta testing, even made it worse.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yep. I have read the previous posts, but I don't want to comment the beta testing.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
        Well, that particular version of Star Wars is a reprint of the WEG D6 game. But I do think the narrative dice for FFG's Star Wars RPG are quite interesting. Unfortunately, I don't like the way they organized their books. They separated the different types of characters into separate standalone core rulebooks. If I wanted a varied game (like the original trilogy, with Luke, Leia, and Han), I'd need three separate books, each also rehashing the same core rules. So it would be quite expensive, let alone the fact that the oldest books are already out of print.

Also, one of the designers of the FFG Star Wars RPG also worked on designing the 2d20 system for Modiphius. He initially wanted to use similar narrative dice, but Modiphius decided not to, and I kind of agree with them. Because then you'd need to either buy specialized dice, or keep looking up conversions. The narrative dice are pretty cool, but I still prefer the regular dice.

As for why I think the 2d20 system works for Stargate, I will try to explain (I find explaining things like this extremely difficult, hence my hesitation).

1) It's classless. Multiple systems are that way of course, so it's not the biggest selling point, but it does help. Another part that helps is that the system uses two sets of six attributes; one representing the innate abilities, the other overall "professional" experience. This makes it easier to create multidisciplinary characters like Sam and Daniel. It's a personal preference, and I don't think it's better or worse than using classes, though I just think it's a bit more efficient and a lot more open.

2) Instead of rolling a single die, or a dice pool, and adding the results together with bonuses and penalties, you roll 2d20 (by default). To determine success, you select the two most appropriate attributes (one of each set) and add them together to create the Target Number. Any d20 rolled equal to or below that TN counts as a success, and you need to roll a number of successes equal to or higher than a regular DC (averaged at 2) to succeed. Rolling a 1 counts as two successes, a 20 causes a Complication (which can be invoked by the GM, or saved for later) though can still mean the task succeeds. You can buy or otherwise gain up to 3 additional dice (including an assist from another character, or a starship in the case of Star Trek Adventures). This is the gist of it, there are a couple of additional features, but that takes more time to explain. This is also a personal preference, but I just kind of like this system (I don't think it's better or worse than anything else, just different).

3) Like the D6 System, Modiphius slightly alters the 2d20 system to fit the source material, rather than trying to shoehorn the material to fit the system. This isn't exactly the fault of 5e, but most third-party games based on IPs seem to do that. I find this especially the case with classes (and multiclassing) as seen in the AEG Stargate RPG, and will undoubtedly happen with the new RPG as well (probably even worse since they focus entirely on Stargate Phoenix). A classless system, and in particular 2d20, is more open to adapt the system to fit the IP. But yet again, it's personal preference. Which is also why I want to try using the D6 System with Stargate.

4) The particular flavor of 2d20 used by Star Trek Adventures simply has the right mood and narrative and mechanical "power" that I think fits very well with Stargate.

All in all, it really is just my personal preference. I own a pretty hefty collection of books (mostly just PDFs, of Savage Worlds, Fate, D6, and a couple others, but I more recently bought the physical PHB and DMG of D&D 5e, and a series of books for Star Trek Adventures). I've read through them all, but I always struggled with trying to understand the rules and how to create a character, one of the biggest reasons I struggled to get started with RPGs in the first place. But since buying the physical D&D books, I grasp it a lot more (I find physical books easier and less distracting to read, since I'm not staring at a screen).

And when I got the core book for Star Trek, it just clicked. It's a thick book, but I just instantly grasped the rules, and while I haven't played it that extensively yet, short experiments that I did just made it "click". That's the real reason I want to run Stargate with it. This is the system that just fits me, you know? And Modiphius seems like a pretty cool company, based on what they're doing, and the fact that I got the PDFs of the books I bought for free. Sadly though, there isn't an OGL, and they are still thinking about publishing a generic rulebook. But since I feel STA is pretty close to the feel of Stargate, it shouldn't be too hard to homebrew (and this is a long term goal anyway).
        So did I read correctly that you are working on STA for FoundryVTT? I'd be very interested in that if you are.

Comment

Originally posted by BYUSinger84 View Post
          So did I read correctly that you are working on STA for FoundryVTT? I'd be very interested in that if you are.
          For fear of going off-topic , yes, I'm working on it. However, it's far from finished, and it will still take a little while. I've been working on a number of things for both Foundry and myself. I'm currently finishing Fate for Foundry, and then back to Star Trek.

To return a little on the topic of Stargate, I've also started a writing the first bits of a manuscript for my homebrewed Stargate RPG (but focused on just some of the lore).

Comment

No habla Jaffa.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Jaffa kree, dammit!

Comment

Well, I'm done with the new RPG, and basically fandoms as a whole. Based on another new version, I provided some feedback about a couple of mistakes in the introduction when talking about the lore of Stargate, more specifically about the SG teams, and it pretty much descended into yet another argument that I'm wrong. And it's about one friggin' line of text and just a small piece of feedback, yet someone else had to turn it into yet another one of those "canon arguments".

This happens to me all the time, but I know I'm not alone. And no matter what kind of arguments I provide to back my statements up, they always find the tiniest crack in my logic to shoot it down. It happened with Stargate Origins, it happened with ST: DIS, and now it happened with one single piece of feedback for a TTRPG.

And people wonder why I prefer to "live" in my own little world...

Comment

Based on another new version, I provided some feedback about a couple of mistakes in the introduction when talking about the lore of Stargate, more specifically about the SG teams, and it pretty much descended into yet another argument that I'm wrong.
                  And here I thought that was what beta was all about, to have people who know the lore tell you what could be better or different.

*shrug*

Comment

Well, I'm done with the new RPG, and basically fandoms as a whole.
                    And people wonder why I prefer to "live" in my own little world...
                    I understand your feelings and we are here for you like we did the MGM new spinoff thread Even if this fandom is also split up like a puzzle, you can always find those groups of fans who share the love and care to Stargate with you.

Off. I was watching some gameplay YT videos (for example Red Dead Redemption 2 and Star Wars Fallen Order on PC). These games have got such high level graphics that maybe this could be a future of any tv show. They can create so believable characters now that you can see every emotion and look and outfit change. Then I have started to dream what if somebody could make a proper FPS game with this technology. I really would like to see wild alien worlds, new trees, bushes, so basically new ecosystems. If it can't happen in live action series, maybe a computer game could have been a tool for this nextgen vision as they can create such different environments what people would like to explore when they arrive through the stargates. I wish the Stargate Network game could be accelerated as so many digital artists could build their "own" world.

Comment

I was watching some gameplay YT videos (for example Red Dead Redemption 2 and Star Wars Fallen Order on PC).
                      On a completely related, yet off-topic, note: how does one record their gameplay to put on twitch or youtube?

(Not aspiring this, just wondering -- even though, I'm a hoot when I'm arguing -- loudly sometimes -- with Cortana while playing any of the Halo games. Not the Microsoft Alexa-version Cortana but gameplay Cortana)

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        On a completely related, yet off-topic, note: how does one record their gameplay to put on twitch or youtube?

(Not aspiring this, just wondering -- even though, I'm a hoot when I'm arguing -- loudly sometimes -- with Cortana while playing any of the Halo games. Not the Microsoft Alexa-version Cortana but gameplay Cortana)
                        Using something like OBS Studio (Open Broadcaster Software), or XSplit, and a few others, which can record windows or full-screen games as well as a microphone, with a whole suite of configurations to tailor it to your needs. And you'd then usually edit it with tools like Adobe Premiere, HitFilm, or Sony Vegas, and perhaps Audacity or Adobe Audition to edit the audio itself.

I understand your feelings and we are here for you like we did the MGM new spinoff thread Even if this fandom is also split up like a puzzle, you can always find those groups of fans who share the love and care to Stargate with you.

Off. I was watching some gameplay YT videos (for example Red Dead Redemption 2 and Star Wars Fallen Order on PC). These games have got such high level graphics that maybe this could be a future of any tv show. They can create so believable characters now that you can see every emotion and look and outfit change. Then I have started to dream what if somebody could make a proper FPS game with this technology. I really would like to see wild alien worlds, new trees, bushes, so basically new ecosystems. If it can't happen in live action series, maybe a computer game could have been a tool for this nextgen vision as they can create such different environments what people would like to explore when they arrive through the stargates. I wish the Stargate Network game could be accelerated as so many digital artists could build their "own" world.
                        That would basically just be an animated series, which have their own costs (especially if it's meant to be photo-realistic). Of course, Unreal Engine, and even Unity, is being used more and more for animated media beyond games. I would love to see Stargate made in it, and nowadays, especially with the advent of real-time raytracing (the Nvidia RTX GPUs), even games look almost as realistic as the best movie CGI.

Depending on how much time I have, and how I can get better at 3D, I wanted to do some simple VFX stuff when I record my RPG sessions for both Stargate and Star Trek. Like modeling the Trek ships and building some interactive scenes to quickly visualize the classic flyby shots or battles.

Comment

Probably I jsut repeat myself, but when I see such games then I am thinking that what the nextgen Stargate should provide for the audience. I mean visually these games are stunning and it really creates interactivity for the players. A new generation has grown up since 2010 which can be the new targate audience (age 12-35). They write really nice and deep lore as well that all "normal" tv show could look boring next to these games. If you can make interactive decisions, where every NPC will react to every action, then who would watch an "old style" tv show? I know there is a difference between live action and computer animation, but nowadays only the imagination (and money and time) is the limit. They can create any environment, so maybe similar digital sets would be the future of a scifi show. I still wish we could get a tv show where they are brave enough to show something visually unexpected. Most of them must still play the budget game, so they can hardly leave the standing or temporary sets. But it would be nice to see giant chrystal tress, weird cactuses, upside down mountain, floating mosses, non humanoid lifeforms etc. so something completly odd alien landscapes on live tv shows. But what do we got? They make a few seconds background shots, maybe a bush or a flower, but nothing more. I know I have joked about a few times and maybe it is boring that not every tv show must look like the Avatar movie, but the technology is more and more common so it would be possible. I always hated when they have modelled one tree then the same one is put into the digital shot in different position or changed size. I know it is easy, but if they could make 4-5-6 different trees you can make a more believable forest with the mixing of more models. The heart of Stargate is still exploration, so when they go to different places. While other shows can spend more time between closed doors, I have really enjoyed those episodes when they have shot some scenes "offworld" in the nature. But maybe these are only my expectations and 2-2,5 million dollars wouldn't be enough for such nextgen SG look what I have imagined.

But okay, we should return to the RPG here... I have read the end of February version, I have written down my suggestions. I can't and I won't talk about it until it was published.
                          Last edited by Platschu; 28 April 2020, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Using something like OBS Studio (Open Broadcaster Software), or XSplit, and a few others, which can record windows or full-screen games as well as a microphone, with a whole suite of configurations to tailor it to your needs. And you'd then usually edit it with tools like Adobe Premiere, HitFilm, or Sony Vegas, and perhaps Audacity or Adobe Audition to edit the audio itself.
                            Thanks.

That would basically just be an animated series, which have their own costs (especially if it's meant to be photo-realistic). Of course, Unreal Engine, and even Unity, is being used more and more for animated media beyond games. I would love to see Stargate made in it, and nowadays, especially with the advent of real-time raytracing (the Nvidia RTX GPUs), even games look almost as realistic as the best movie CGI.
                            I can't remember where but didn't someone build a mod for an existing game with Unreal Engine for Stargate?

Comment

It is the "Stargate Network" which uses Unreal engine v4.0 :
                              http://www.stargate-network.net/en/

Maybe you could help them if you know how to use the required programs :
                              https://www.stargate-network.net/en/team
                              Last edited by Platschu; 28 April 2020, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                And here I thought that was what beta was all about, to have people who know the lore tell you what could be better or different.

*shrug*
                                Nope.
                                Beta testing is for the -system- not the lore, that's a whole other beastie.
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X