No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you are actively asking for all-access everywhere -- much appreciated.

I think the big announcement will be Gateworld-related, not stargate/MGM-related. Perhaps, Gateworld will get a proper endorsement from MGM to exist, because right now this place is classified as a fan site and forum.

Run by fans, paid by fans and most definitely the absolute HUB of all things Stargate. A true stargate commuinity -- a big dysfunctional family of stargate fans.

Command has literally nothing on this place. It's a speck in the dust left behind by Gateworld as it races passed.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I still believe the two could be or should be merged. The episode threads are almost dead here anyway as only a few people makes rewatches at the moment. If they could link those to the SG:C, maybe we could have a few new active forum member here.

I have stopped to post pictures until further permission now. I have written an official letter to StargateCommand if I can share DVD screencaps or not on the message board. You know, it is ridicolous. I really wanted to help and to elevate that place, then I am being blamed to break the US copyright laws. Honestly I am feed up now.

skiwi : Hmmm, I wonder about these images. Surely they are breaking the draconian USA copyright laws?

Platschu : They are screenshots from episodes which were released on DVDs...

skiwi : My point entirely, they are unauthorised copies of copyrighted material, namely the video stored on the DVD. Remember the big warnings at the start of the DVD? I fail to see the difference, legally, between copying the DVD and screen shots of it. The best you can argue is the it falls into the fair use provision.

I was thinking how the current All-Access situation could be saved. They should split up the streaming and the "extras" into two cathegories, so all together we would have :
      - no access : just message board and minimal feed
      - access : message board, complete feed, comics and extras
      - All-access : message board, complete feed, comics and extras and online streaming
      So if the "access" would cost only 10 dollars, but then everybody from every country could pay for it, then every fan could enjoy the extras, but no episode stream. This way the legal problems about the SG streaming could be avoided as every "access" paying customer can watch the tv shows on their own DVDs at home, but the loyal, paying fans could watch the interviews.

Or option b.) The "dialing home" series should be released on DVDs. Maybe for 5-10-15 dollars.
      Last edited by Platschu; 24 October 2018, 12:06 PM.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        I have stopped to post pictures until further permission now. I have written an official letter to StargateCommand if I can share DVD screencaps or not on the message board. You know, it is ridicolous. I really wanted to help and to elevate that place, then I am being blamed to break the US copyright laws. Honestly I am feed up now.
        So, skiwi thinks you're breaking copyright laws -- on a website that is owned by MGM and posts the same images in their gallery? Talk about getting it backwards.

As long as you do not claim them as your own, there's nothing wrong with posting pictures, especially not screencaps because if they were a violation of copyright law, than all of us are literally breaking the rule by posting any and all stargate images on that feed.

Actually we probably are... but so long as MGM tolerates it, skiwi should just shut the hell up.

Comment

Oh thank you. Is this "Skiwi" not a moderator here? I have written a private message to StargateCommand, so I will see if they are willing to answer or not.
          https://www.stargatecommand.co/forum...tml&k=b4ff8e7b

Honestly it was not a big secret that I have always used our database photos from the Abydos Gate or the screencaps from the GateWorld like these:
          https://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s1/
          https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/th...s.php?album=12
          https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/th....php?album=249
          Just I didn't want to cause trouble for GW. Okay, I should have asked Darren's permission at first, but I have never stated that I have made these photos in the first place or they are my own. I have just reposted them. I have even frequently shared links back to the resource to GW. I have really used those pictures just with good intention to make some buzz, to shake up the message board, so basically to entertain people who are in or out of the current complicated system. And who knows? Maybe the nostalgic memories convinced some people to rewatch something on the stream or to pay for it.... But I have also got all of the official DVDs at home, so theoratically I can make screencaps on my own any time. And everyone else shared pictures about actors or behind the scene photos, those are also illegal then, aren't they? But anyway we are on the official MGM website, so it was breaking the law then the moderators would have stopped me long time ago.

I don't want to star myself as not everybody appreciate my enthusiasm (some people put me on ignore as I am "spamming" the message board), but I really have to remember 350+ episodes if I want to find one particular shot from scene or planet to share it with the others. I will see what the official response will be, just I feel I am being attacked for something where I don't feel guilty and I have really spent a huge amount of time and energy for this SG community. Peace.
          https://www.stargatecommand.co/profile/Platschu

edit. I have asked permision from Darren as well as I should have done since the beginning, so I believe this is the correct way if he knows about it.
          Last edited by Platschu; 24 October 2018, 01:21 PM.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Oh thank you. Is this "Skiwi" not a moderator here?
            Nope... he's literally a Kiwi, as in from New Zealand, according to his location settings.
            And he's still convinced he's not able to access the premium stuff, so either he's lying about his location and he's using VPN (which doesn't work anymore) or he's not awake most of the time posting.

But anyway we are on the official MGM website, so it was breaking the law then the moderators would have stopped me long time ago.
            They wouldn't because there are no "moderators" on that feed, like there are here.

The official account only makes random posts where there is a direct question or a problem. They use the feed as a support page, much like several others complaining about the Bluetooth problem for one -- man, I want to yank all those [bleep] through my screen and yell at them to scroll first, post later cause there have been 10 [bleeps] before them already.

The users moderate the place by reporting and ignoring.

Comment

"Organised chaos".

Honestly I doubt that they will respond at all, but I won't post pictures until that time. We will see how many people miss them at all.

edit. They have responded:

"Hi Platschu - we have no legal issue with you sharing DVD screencaps on our Forum at all! You are within a legal MGM Forum, sharing our IP with others within the same Forum! Have fun! - Stargate Command"
              Last edited by Platschu; 24 October 2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

It just got worse. Stargate Command tweeted about working on fixing access for those who have re-enlisted. So, from that message I can gather that indeed they care more for those fans. And the tweet ends with #MostPatientFansEver. So, those who have waited for a year and are still waiting are not patient?

I think for the first time ever I actually send an angry message directly to someone. I usually don't like to just criticize anyone, least of all over the internet, let alone write an angry message, but this is going way too far.

If I wasn't already done with this, then this is the final nail in the coffin... ahem, sarcophagus.

Comment

"Organised chaos".
                  Wouldn't go that far...

"Hi Platschu - we have no legal issue with you sharing DVD screencaps on our Forum at all! You are within a legal MGM Forum, sharing our IP with others within the same Forum! Have fun! - Stargate Command"
                  Let Skiwi know.

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                  It just got worse. Stargate Command tweeted about working on fixing access for those who have re-enlisted. So, from that message I can gather that indeed they care more for those fans. And the tweet ends with #MostPatientFansEver. So, those who have waited for a year and are still waiting are not patient?

That would P... me off so much, right now. Scratch that, I am PO'd they even dare to post such a thing.

I've added another tweet... and used the SHAME-bell from Game of Thrones for added good measure.

If I wasn't already done with this, then this is the final nail in the coffin... ahem, sarcophagus.
                  I don't know whether there are actually nails in a sarcophagus but to hell with that... [insert a few choice words deemed worthy of strong moderation]

Comment

Well, this is new... *shrug*

"You have been blocked until 2018-10-30 23:59:59 UTC. Contact customer[dot]support[at]topfan[dot]com for more information."

I guess I'm not returning any time soon then.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

"You have been blocked until 2018-10-30 23:59:59 UTC. Contact customer[dot]support[at]topfan[dot]com for more information."

Ah, well, seems the Trust has invaded the SGC after all.

Comment

Ah, well, seems the Trust has invaded the SGC after all.
                        I am mildly curious about the reason but then I realized it's Stargate Day and I think it seems fitting that I say the fandom goodbye on that day.

DOCTOR WHO DAY, HERE I COME!!!

Comment

As long as FH stays here. That is all that matters
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            As long as FH stays here. That is all that matters
                            She will.

Best place on the internet.

Comment

I believe they have iniated the Lemming Protocol with this step.

Comment

She will.

Best place on the internet.
                                Because Jelgate is here?
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X