This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unas
    While I'm not sure about MIT, the USAF Academy only offers a BS in Engineering. All other degrees must be acquired elsewhere, I have like 5 military guys in my 12 people grad class.
    So even if she'd taken the initial batchelor's at the Academy she'd have been sent out for the PhD. Right so.

Cheers.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

In 1969, didn't Daniel mention that he was four years old in that year?

USAF officer rank run as follows: O1 = 2nd Lt., O2 = 1st Lt., O3 = Captain, O4 = Major, O5 = Lt. Col., O6 = Colonel, O7 = Brig. Gen. (One star), etc.

For a full rundown of military rank, UK, US, China, Israel, Russia and many more besides, I can heartily recommend the following website www.rankinsignia.info
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
        Is this canon? I thought that she took her degrees through the USAF Academy.
        There are no graduate degrees, at least at the PhD level, at the USAF Academy. See for yourself http://www.academyadmissions.com/academics/. I read in several places that Sam went to MIT for her doctorate. This is to the best of my knowledge. It may have also been mentioned in an episode, early on in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak

USAF officer rank run as follows: O1 = 2nd Lt., O2 = 1st Lt., O3 = Captain, O4 = Major, O5 = Lt. Col., O6 = Colonel, O7 = Brig. Gen. (One star), etc.

For a full rundown of military rank, UK, US, China, Israel, Russia and many more besides, I can heartily recommend the following website www.rankinsignia.info
          Sorry, I always confuse the First and Second Lieutenant thing. I guess Second is lower, which makes sense. I think Lt 2 = gold bar and Lt. 1 = silver bar. Kinda like major is a gold oak leaf and lt. colonel a silver. Why would gold be lower than silver?

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak

Yeah, in 1969, he said he was four years old in that year. That would make him born in 1965, which would mean he is either going to turn 40 or will turn 40 in 2005. Michael Shanks, however, the actor, was born in 1970, so in reality, he wasn't even born in 1969, but his character was.

Amanda Tapping, I think, was born in 1965 ot 1966, so she's already 40, or close to it. I have no idea if her character, Sam is supposed to be younger or older than Daniel.

Don't forget, Stargate the movie was in 1994, so Daniel had to be at least 30 or 31 or older at that time. Why? He'd be teaching and doing research for some time, maybe briefly, after receiving his doctorate, so if he graduated at around 28 or so, you add on a few years, and he'd be in his early 30's at the time, which is consistent with the 1965 birthdate.

As of 2005, I would guessthat:

- O'Neill is in his late 40s to mid 50's. I honestly don't know, but he was either 40 or in his early 40's (if he was just rounding off or making a general statement to the aliens in Brief Candle) in Brief Candle, which was season one, 9 years ago, so he'd be at least 49, but probably older, like 52-55 maybe.

- Daniel is about 40
            - Sam is about 38-40
            - Hammond is about 62-64
            - LTC Mitchell (Ben Browder) is about 38-40
            - Siler is late 40's/early 50's
            - Chevron guy is mid to late 40s
            - Major Davis is mid to late 30s
            - Kinsey about 65 to 70
            - Maybourne late 40's
            - Pete late 30s
            - Dr. Weir late 30s/early 40s
            - Dr. McKay late 30s
            - Dr Beckett late 30s/early 40s
            - Major Sheppard late 30s
            - Teyla late 20s/early 30s
            - Dr Grodin late 30s
            - Lt. Ford mid 20s

Officers of certain ranks usually fall into a certain age range, UNLESS they are doctors, scientists, lawyers, etc. In other words, if you're a regular officer (not a JAG (lawyer), medical corps, scientists, engineer, etc.), and lack an advanced degree, you move the up the ranks at a normal pace based on your merit/performance and ratings. You military peeps would know better than me, but you normally start off as a Lt 2/Lt 1 at a pretty young age, around 22 or 23 and then move up. I don't know how long you spend in each grade, but probably a few years. I've seen some captains who are in their 20s, and they weren't doctors or lawyers, just regular officers.

I think it's a fair bet that most Captains would achieve that rank by the time they're in their late 20s/early 30s and majors by the time they are mid 30s or so. I don't think you'd have too many Lt Colonels in their 30s, but you might have a few depending on the facts. Most full colonels would be in their 40, I woudl think, not 30s. It would be rare to have a full Colonel who is in his/her 30s; that's probably too young. I would also think most generals would be in their 50s, late 40s at the earliest.

Now, if you're a doctor or lawyer or something professional and in the military, you advance quicker because you skip a few ranks. Most physicians and attorneys who serve in teh US services start off as Captains/Lt Junior Grade (navy) right off upon being commissioned, and then move up the chain quickly if they stay in. It's not uncommon to see JAG officers, or medical corps officers, with ranks like Lt. Commander, Commander, Major, LTC, Colonel, and even one-star generals/admirals.
            Last edited by LordAnubis; 17 February 2005, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Good research - well done
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                Good research - well done
                thanks dude

Comment

you all know so much!
                  sigpic
                  http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                  http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah
                    you all know so much!
                    They do but you probably know a lot more about shipping than they do
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                      Sam and Daniel have PHD's - aren't they a bit young to have PHD's

Does teal'c have any qualifications - do jaffa go to school etc.
                      Jaffa train to be warriors all their life. That he is still alive is the only thing he needs to establish his merit, and the golden seal on his forehead...

Comment

Someone asked where I found out about Jack's degree...I'll go find the piccy!

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...rtificate.html

To reach the rank of Colonel, it is mandatory (more or less) to have education to at least college degree level.

Suz
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay

To reach the rank of Colonel, it is mandatory (more or less) to have education to at least college degree level.

Suz

Actually, to reach the rank of colonel, I believe you must have at least a Master's Degree.

J.
                          "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Well then...he must have a Masters degree in Military Sciences and Engineering...

I always thought it was a masters degree, but someone told me it was a college degree...

*goes away making note about not being so gullible in the future*
                            sigpic
                            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                              My friends Aleks, Pip and Tim got (or will probably get) their PhDs last year, this year and next year; they are currently all 27.

Daniel must have been at least 30 at the time of the film, plenty of time for a smart man and a quick study to get his doctorate. Sam is of an age with or older than Daniel.

Jack, for all his claims that he 'didn't get on with high school' must have graduated there and taken a degree (probably at the Academy). Well, I say must; there's a slim chance that he joined up as an enlisted man and got and kept a brevet commission, but I'm told it's not common. He might also have taken a degree in-service.

Teal'c completed training for the Serpent Guard in the bash'ak, which probably included some study of military science, logistics and theology.

sueKay, I'm curious to know where your information comes from.
                              Jack has to have a Masters, at least, because outside of a congress-declared war one cannot be promoted above Major without one.
                              My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                              -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                              -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                              -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay

Suz
                                A certificate is NOT a degree. That is a training certificate. No doubt, he still has at least a bachelor's degree.

Comment

Working...
                                X