X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1's qualification

Sam and Daniel have PHD's - aren't they a bit young to have PHD's

Does teal'c have any qualifications - do jaffa go to school etc.
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

No. Neither Sam, nor Daniel are too young to have PhDs. My sister has two doctorates and she is still younger than Sam was at the start of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid

Teal's was Apophis's First Prime...thats gotta count for something...you don't get to be in the position if your stupid

Comment

Well both Sam and Daniel have had doctorates since they were first introduced, Dr. Daniel Jackson in the Movie, and Captain/Dr. Samantha Carter in CotG.

I don't know if Jaffa go to school, I would presume they learn from their parents and their wide spread religion. Bra'tac was Teal'c's trainer/tutor, so I presume he would learn his ways from them.

Comment

Sam has a PhD and tow top up degrees I think...
          Daniel did a joint degree course prior yo getting his doctorate.
          Jack has a joint college degree in Military Sciences and Engineering.

and Teal'c...

well Ryac never went to school, so Teal'c probably never either, but as someone (sorry...terrible with names) mentioned...being first prime to apophis must look good on the CV!
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
            well Ryac never went to school, so Teal'c probably never either, but as someone (sorry...terrible with names) mentioned...being first prime to apophis must look good on the CV!
            Jaffa have CV's
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

My friends Aleks, Pip and Tim got (or will probably get) their PhDs last year, this year and next year; they are currently all 27.

Daniel must have been at least 30 at the time of the film, plenty of time for a smart man and a quick study to get his doctorate. Sam is of an age with or older than Daniel.

Jack, for all his claims that he 'didn't get on with high school' must have graduated there and taken a degree (probably at the Academy). Well, I say must; there's a slim chance that he joined up as an enlisted man and got and kept a brevet commission, but I'm told it's not common. He might also have taken a degree in-service.

Teal'c completed training for the Serpent Guard in the bash'ak, which probably included some study of military science, logistics and theology.

sueKay, I'm curious to know where your information comes from.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

You are very knowledgeable Mr. Prophet
                love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                  Well, I say must; there's a slim chance that he joined up as an enlisted man and got and kept a brevet commission, but I'm told it's not common. He might also have taken a degree in-service.
                  What you've been told is correct. And mustangs aren't that common in the last twenty five years. In the US that usually comes up from exceptional battle experiance.

Comment

You are very knowledgeable Mr. Prophet
                    The headteacher at my school is ex-USAF; I took the opportunity to tap him for information.

Comment

Both Sam and Daniel went to college/university in the United States. I believe Daniel has his PhD (or one of them) from the University of Chicago (http://anthropology.uchicago.edu/gra...haeology.shtml) and a PhD in linguistics. I'm not sure if he has actually has two PhDs, but it's possible he has two master's, one in linguistics and one in anthropology/archaeology and only one PhD in archaeology.

Sam has a PhD in astrophysics/physics/quantum mechanics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (http://web.mit.edu/physics/graduate/index.html).

Normally, in the US, students graduate high school at about age 18. They enter undergraduate university at 18 and normally finish in about 4 years. A normal student completes his/her BS at around 22. A master's usually requires 1-2 years of post bachelor's study, so you figure, around 23 or 24. A PhD can vary in length, but usually about 3-6 years in length post bachelor's or on average 4 years post master's. So, assuming Daniel and Sam both have master's degrees, which Sam might not have, since she could have gone on for a PhD right after her undergraduate degree, here's a rough age range:

Bachelor's degree: 18-22, graduate at 22
                      Master's degree, 22-24, graduate at 23 earliest, 24 latest.
                      Doctorate degree: 23-29, graduate at around 28 or 29, 30 at the latest.

If either one graduated high school earlier, or finished college in 3 years, shave off another year.

Therefore, it's possible either Sam or Daniel graduated with a PhD, at the earliest, around 26 maybe 27. Possible. Archaeology has more requirements involving internships and special projects, so it would probably take longer. Physics is hard but pretty straightforward. I'd say Sam probably bypassed the master's, went straight into her doctoral program, and did not have to go through any internships or projects (like archaeological digs, etc.). If she finished high school at 17, college at 21/22, and worked on her PhD diligently, she could have finished in 3-4 years, graduating at around 26 or so.

If Daniel has two PhDs, or two master's, he could have combined the requirements for both degrees to shorten the length to earn both. My dad has a JD (Doctor of Law) degree (law degree) and a master's degree in business administration (MBA). He earned both at the same time and his program shortened the length of both degrees so that the elective courses for one degree also were the elective courses for the other degree, thus shaving off a few years. Daniel might have done something like that.

Teal'c probably has life experience coupled with substantive knowledge he's learned from Apophis, if any, and from his travels throughout the galaxy while serving the Goa'uld coupled with his knowledge gleaned from SG-1.

Jack, as a USAF officer, has a college degree. Unless there are exceptional circumstances, all commissioned officers in the US have college degrees, at least at the undergraduate (bachelor's level). Many officers go to college first, earn their degree, then gain a commission. Dr. Fraser probably went to college and then medical school first, then joined the USAF as a captain. Some officers joint ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) while in college and upon graduation, simultaneous receive a degree and a commission in the service. A bachelor's degree usually only gets an O1 commission.

In the AF, O1 = First Lt, O2 = Second lt, O3 = Captain, O4 = Major, O5 = Lt. Col., O6 = Full Colonel, O7 = brig Gen, etc.

If you go in with an advanced degree, like a PhD, law degree, or medical degree, you're usually commissioned as a Captain (O3) and bypass the first two ranks. I don't know why, but that's usually what it is. Like on JAG, they're all JDs (Doctorates in Law), and as lawyers, they have higher ranks than most "younger" officers of the same age due to their advanced education. Same with medical doctors and scientists and pharmacists and veterinarians and dentists and other professionals with advanced degrees.

So, as a full colonel, Jack either was continuously promoted until his present rank, or if he had a master's degree in something, it helped him advance somewhat.

I'd say Jack has a bachelor's degree in something, could be anything, but most likely engineering, military science, political science, or business admin. Gen. Hammond probably has a master's degree in public or business administration, military sciences, or something along those lines.

Kinsey probably has a law degree or MBA or something.

Dr. Weir has either a PhD in political science (or public administration) or a JD (Law degree). Or both.

Comment

Check out Jack's office here. The props show his career in the AF with lots of photoshopped pics of him as a pilot. Does the guy on the right in pic 13 look like Maj. Davis?

Unlike most human slaves, all Jaffa must be able to read in order to follow written instructions, fly ships, etc. Teal'c knows many obscure goa'uld dialects which might have helped him. There are also pilot qualifications for gliders and other ships. Also, killing a whole lot of enemies allowed Bra'tac to present Teal'c to Apophis.

Comment

Originally posted by Unas
                          Check out Jack's office here. The props show his career in the AF with lots of photoshopped pics of him as a pilot. Does the guy on the right in pic 13 look like Maj. Davis?

Unlike most human slaves, all Jaffa must be able to read in order to follow written instructions, fly ships, etc. Teal'c knows many obscure goa'uld dialects which might have helped him. There are also pilot qualifications for gliders and other ships. Also, killing a whole lot of enemies allowed Bra'tac to present Teal'c to Apophis.
                          Jaffa must have some sort of formal schooling. Teal'c mentions in an early epsiode that he is only qualified to fly a death glider, not a Ha'tak or Al'kesh. I assume training/schooling is needed to get your Ha'tak license.
                          "Thats O'Neill with TWO L's!"
                          *Jack holds up three fingers*
                          ------------------------------
                          Anubis' Jaffa: "No matter what you've previously endured. You have no idea what Anubis is capable of."
                          Jack: "You ended that sentence with a preposition..... Bastard!"

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                            Sam has a PhD in astrophysics/physics/quantum mechanics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (http://web.mit.edu/physics/graduate/index.html).
                            Is this canon? I thought that she took her degrees through the USAF Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                              Is this canon? I thought that she took her degrees through the USAF Academy.
                              While I'm not sure about MIT, the USAF Academy only offers a BS in Engineering. All other degrees must be acquired elsewhere, I have like 5 military guys in my 12 people grad class.

Comment

Working...
                              X