This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chevron View Post
    I've been making replicator blocks and zat guns recently. Am currently working on mini staff weapons. After that I'm working on a wraith stunner that will light up (from PH. for myself and probably won't sell them.)

Was just thinking if I had a 3d printer I'd print them out, but since it's a lot of work to put together, I'd have to charge a little over what it costs. I heard that model costs $150 to print, put together, electronics etc.
    If I ever get my own 3D printer, I am definetly going to make myself a replicator! ( like this person did HERE! )
    Last edited by RunnerRonon; 01 January 2015, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerRonon View Post
      *Facepalm* Sorry, apparently I didn't see the beginning of that sentence, even though I commented on the end of it Adding CNC Mills to my list of things to read up on Thanks
      Here is an example of a cnc mill produced stargate

timber stargate.gif
      sigpic "Check out or post Models, toys and blueprints " or: "latest Stargate PC Games "

Comment

I used a milling machine when making my first puddle jumper

My arms hurt for days afterwards

Comment

If I ever get my own 3D printer, I am definetly going to make myself a replicator! ( like this person did HERE!
          I know of a company who makes them. They sold them at a con, but don't know how to ship them, so they're selling them as "kits". You'll have to glue the legs on and paint it. They don't officially sell them, you have to email them. Believe the finshed one were $150 at the con, and he said kits would be around $100-$120.

I might order one. I've seen there work, its very good!

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
            I used a milling machine when making my first puddle jumper

My arms hurt for days afterwards
            There are computer controlled now for a reasonable price
            sigpic "Check out or post Models, toys and blueprints " or: "latest Stargate PC Games "

Comment

I know of a company who makes them. They sold them at a con, but don't know how to ship them, so they're selling them as "kits". You'll have to glue the legs on and paint it. They don't officially sell them, you have to email them. Believe the finshed one were $150 at the con, and he said kits would be around $100-$120.

I might order one. I've seen there work, its very good!
              That sounds pretty amazing actually! But I do think part of the fun is designing it yourself, and have it look exactly the way you envisioned it, which isn't really an option if it is a kit where you only have to glue the legs on.

Comment

Originally posted by Stubba2 View Post
                There are computer controlled now for a reasonable price
                if it's not computer controlled, it's not a CNC mill. And a CNC mill isn't a 3D printer

Comment

That sounds pretty amazing actually! But I do think part of the fun is designing it yourself, and have it look exactly the way you envisioned it, which isn't really an option if it is a kit where you only have to glue the legs on.
                  I can understand that.

Just don't think it would be possible to 3d print one. You have the print out about 12 different pieces then glue together.

What they did was take there screen used blocks and make replicas, then take those and glue each one together (4 legs one body) and then mold those, then glue all of those together and paint them. They're the most accurate ones you can get without paying $500 from someone on ebay.

Comment

I can understand that.

Just don't think it would be possible to 3d print one. You have the print out about 12 different pieces then glue together.

What they did was take there screen used blocks and make replicas, then take those and glue each one together (4 legs one body) and then mold those, then glue all of those together and paint them. They're the most accurate ones you can get without paying $500 from someone on ebay.
                    You are right, thats exactly how the person did it on the forum I linked earlier. I love fidgeting around with things like that and making it exactly the way I want it. The thing is, it is a lot easier if you only have to design 5 parts and build it from there. It might not be as easy as legos, it does resemble it a little. For this, you don't need great blender/3d software skills to make something, you only need the parts, the patience and the creativity to put those parts together.

Comment

You are right, thats exactly how the person did it on the forum I linked earlier. I love fidgeting around with things like that and making it exactly the way I want it. The thing is, it is a lot easier if you only have to design 5 parts and build it from there. It might not be as easy as legos, it does resemble it a little. For this, you don't need great blender/3d software skills to make something, you only need the parts, the patience and the creativity to put those parts together.
                      These replicator blocks are selling for $13 a 15 block set, may be what you are after. Ships worldwide from USA.
                      https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/2001...kQsaAhmt8P8HAQ
                      Last edited by Stubba2; 01 January 2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

These replicator blocks are selling for $13 a 15 block set, may be what you are after. Ships worldwide from USA.
                        Was going to say the same thing! I've bought those blocks before, and they're good! Just need some cleaning up. But that's actually the same company that makes the full bug, might be cheaper to get the full bug. If you got 150 blocks it would be $75, I'd guess you need around 125 to 225 blocks to make a bug.

It's strange, in the USA the blocks are only $10 for 15.
                        https://www.etsy.com/listing/2001697...earch_type=all

Comment

Thanks! I'll look into that, but I probably won't be able to do that anywhere soon, seeing how I can barely watch my shows, let alone build my own merchandise for them

Was going to say the same thing! I've bought those blocks before, and they're good! Just need some cleaning up. But that's actually the same company that makes the full bug, might be cheaper to get the full bug. If you got 150 blocks it would be $75, I'd guess you need around 125 to 225 blocks to make a bug.

It's strange, in the USA the blocks are only $10 for 15.
                          https://www.etsy.com/listing/2001697...earch_type=all
                          Although buying it would guarantee quality, and eliminate the fact that I barely have time to do it, I also think it takes away at least half the fun of owning it. When something is within my reach(skill wise) to do on my own, and I do find time to do it, I will like it a lot more than when I buy it knówing I could've done it on my own

Comment

Free webinars: Best Practice—Prepare files for 3D Printing
                            Due to the great success of the previous webinars, we are happy to announce: There is yet more to come! Take part in our free live online introduction to netfabb Professional using real and practical examples!

"Best Practice—Prepare files for 3D printing"
                            » Thursday, January 22nd, 2015
                            » Choose your starting time: 9:00 AM CET or 6:00 PM CET
                            » Duration: 30 min.

Course details:

Watch a real-time demonstration of netfabb Professional's key features at work
                            See how to prepare and optimize your files for 3D Printing
                            Learn how to fix frequent errors easily and quickly
                            Ask our expert trainers any questions about the team play of netfabb and 3D Printing
                            To register for your free netfabbinar, please choose your desired starting time:

For early session (9:00 AM CET) please click here.
                            For late session (6:00 PM CET) please click here.
                            Please be aware that each course is limited to 100 participants!

Our free webinars will show you how to improve the workflow in your company. We are looking forward to meeting you online!

Comment

pretty self explanatory, It was a free web seminar on how to prepare stl files (models) for printing on 3d printers

Comment

I'm taking a 3D-modelling & printing course in evening school at the moment. Learning all there is to know and more.

We use all free available online software.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X