This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    but it would be an emmerich based stargate show, and not one based on the tv version characters and storylines the many, many fans love.
    Of course not. But even if they did a new Stargate series it wouldn't involve (much) of the older actors and characters, because they are either too old or have moved on to other things. So while past Stargate series were truly great, and will always have a special place in my heart, it will never be the same (with other actors/characters or other showrunners/writers).

The best case scenario for me would be one last combined SG1-Atlantis-Universe movie to close up the universe and end it on a high note, then a new movie blockbuster by Emmerich then a new Stargate TV series loosely based on it (due to the popularity of the Stargate brand brought by the new movie. Better start a series with a popular name than a new sci-fi series from scratch some TV exec may think. People who saw the movie will at least take a look at the series, same with fans from the old series).
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

but it would be an emmerich based stargate show, and not one based on the tv version characters and storylines the many, many fans love.
      But, and it's the crucial bit, not enough fans loved[$]. Otherwise they'd still be making the show!

With a movie, the studios have general estimates for how many will turn up, which they can assume will include former fans of the TV show. At the end of the day, how many WON'T actually wander along for a peep?

Just in passing, I'm surprised by the passion being debated in this thread. We're only talking about a TV show, not a pet or pocket-watch handed down from a grand-parent... We're just fans, we're not owed anything.

[$ - Okay, for "loved", read "loved enough to watch, with all the advertising, in its original slot in American TV schedule"]

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
        Of course not. But even if they did a new Stargate series it wouldn't involve (much) of the older actors and characters, because they are either too old or have moved on to other things.
        Some lost their looks yes, but moved on to other things? Not really, except for a few like i said before, mainly from SGU, and Shanks.

If they do a complete reboot, im done. If they do a soft reboot, I'll watch at first, and if it doesn't have the original taste, im gone. If they make a new series, even without returning characters, and respect continuity, I'll watch every single episode. Cameos aren't necessary, but would be appreciated.

Could you imagine watching a Starwars movie knowing its not really set in the same universe as the others. Same with StarTrek. Tell me, whats the point? Sure for the casual viewer its great entertainment, but for fans, its annoying. They could've made the story in the same universe but decided not to so revenue would be higher with the general populace? I'm sorry but that doesn't fly with me, cause in the long term its the fans that allows them to expend and make sequels. Its the demand for those stories that pushes the studios to make them. Ultimately they do it for the money but it doesn't mean they cant give what the fans really want, both aren't exclusive. Thats why you need great writers on these projects, to blend the old with the new so that everyone can enjoy it.

MGM could pull it off. And make a boat load of money too. They just need the right people at the wheel.

Comment

I would say that, proportionally speaking, Stargate probably has more to gain from reboot movies than Trek did. That said, it probably has proportionally more to lose too.

Comment

Well, I just saw "White House Down". It may have been slated by the critics but I loved it. His best movie in years. Yes, very gung-ho and cheesy but entertaining, definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
              But, and it's the crucial bit, not enough fans loved[$]. Otherwise they'd still be making the show!
              but, and this is just an opinion, it wasn't the fans that started the downward spiral, but the writers losing their inspiration and muse.

they should have *never* made two shows at once! i saw what happened with star trek next gen, when they added another trek to the writers load, and the same, exact thing happened with sg1.

i have 100 percent faith that with the right writers/producers, the tv franchise stargate could be brought back AND be popular and profitable!

the sg1-atlantis-universe characters don't have to be the stars, just keep the new series/characters close enough that any of the original characters could make guest appearances.

how about mars is being teraformed to be a second sgc, and the series is based on the main crew to run this small base? there's really MANY different scenarios that could be written, that could include the tv franchise mythology and some characters.

bring in well-known actors (i'm choosing michael weatherly as the male lead), a smart and caring show runner, and it could be the newest hit stargate!

there's no reason to drop the old, just to bring in the new. and that includes the fans.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

but, and this is just an opinion, it wasn't the fans that started the downward spiral, but the writers losing their inspiration and muse.

they should have *never* made two shows at once! i saw what happened with star trek next gen, when they added another trek to the writers load, and the same, exact thing happened with sg1.

i have 100 percent faith that with the right writers/producers, the tv franchise stargate could be brought back AND be popular and profitable!

the sg1-atlantis-universe characters don't have to be the stars, just keep the new series/characters close enough that any of the original characters could make guest appearances.

how about mars is being teraformed to be a second sgc, and the series is based on the main crew to run this small base? there's really MANY different scenarios that could be written, that could include the tv franchise mythology and some characters.

bring in well-known actors (i'm choosing michael weatherly as the male lead), a smart and caring show runner, and it could be the newest hit stargate!

there's no reason to drop the old, just to bring in the new. and that includes the fans.
                I'm sorry, there IS a reason to drop the old - and that's the fact that the universe has become too big and complicated. All your suggestions about how to continue are based on a VERY technologically advanced Earth. One could argue that the core idea of Stargate is about real world Earth venturing out into the universe and seeing how tiny we are. This is what SGU kinda tried to do by isolating the main characters - no gucci weapons or spaceships....

The SG TV universe grew out of control, and it's the reason that I don't like later SG1 or SGA as much as I like the early days, because it's gone far too Trek!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

... I have room in my heart for both versions, even if they are separate... even if it's a reboot and may be different to the original movie that I love... It might be better... He may have learnt some new tricks for the reboot... If he loves this movie like he seems to (in my opinion) he may do something equally as cool or cooler... but then again we could be disappointed, but what about giving it a chance before we decide what it is or isn't going to be...if it happens...
                  Last edited by Lunaeclipse; 22 September 2013, 01:51 AM.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                  "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                  a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    But that's a nicety to the existing fans - it is not the same as a continuing on the universe in the same manner.

And hey, I'm a geek and proud. Truth be told, the majority of people here are if they're honest with themselves.
                    That's funny, I would've said the opposite, the majority of people here really aren't, in my opinion.

Comment

One could argue that the core idea of Stargate is about real world Earth venturing out into the universe and seeing how tiny we are. This is what SGU kinda tried to do by isolating the main characters - no gucci weapons or spaceships....
                      But we already saw that venturing out phase, and we already know how tiny we are. That's the point. DD&RE's Stargate was in 1994, almost twenty years ago. Look how far we come since in the real world. Sure it was nice back then when most people have imagined what the future would be. The future is now here. It's also kind of funny watching old Trek movies, when it is evident that the handhelds we have now are working better, looking better than those featured in those movies.
                      Think back further when the movie The rocketeer was a hit, now we have jetpacks that work even better than the one in the film.
                      A new Stargate has to be actual and exploring new horizons not going back to stir old waters that already been settled.
                      sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                        That's funny, I would've said the opposite, the majority of people here really aren't, in my opinion.
                        Difficult to say, there's not really been that many separate people expressing views, only perhaps a few dozen at most. It's hardly indicative. And for one, I'd go see any new movie...

Comment

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
                          Think back further when the movie The rocketeer was a hit, now we have jetpacks that work even better than the one in the film.
                          Im not sure we're living in the same universe you and i. Did you get your hands on that alternate reality mirror thingy?

Comment

@meo3000:

This:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8HMlt8k8DY
                            This:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWLvrNKVjc
                            And finally this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yolum7_0UCA

They maybe not as small like in rocketeer, but certainly better. Are you convinced now?
                            sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

I'm sorry, there IS a reason to drop the old - and that's the fact that the universe has become too big and complicated. All your suggestions about how to continue are based on a VERY technologically advanced Earth. One could argue that the core idea of Stargate is about real world Earth venturing out into the universe and seeing how tiny we are. This is what SGU kinda tried to do by isolating the main characters - no gucci weapons or spaceships....

The SG TV universe grew out of control, and it's the reason that I don't like later SG1 or SGA as much as I like the early days, because it's gone far too Trek!
                              I think the SG universe grew at the right pace. Not too big too fast but it was more of a gradual thing and allowed fans to adjust to the change. But then they introduced Universe w/o any sort of lead and THEN it got too big. There was no build up like there had been with SG-1 and Atlantis. It was just BAM! here's Universe and all it's ish.
                              Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                              Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
                                I think the SG universe grew at the right pace. Not too big too fast but it was more of a gradual thing and allowed fans to adjust to the change. But then they introduced Universe w/o any sort of lead and THEN it got too big. There was no build up like there had been with SG-1 and Atlantis. It was just BAM! here's Universe and all it's ish.

Disagree about Universe - SGU scaled back everything and suddenly we were back to using pretty much nothing but Earth tech.

Otherwise yes, but that's fine for existing fans, if you want to make SG big again, it's too much. It's just another space opera. A revamp of SG would take modern day tech and pit it against the universe, which notably doesn't include Earth space warships.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X