I miss Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
    It has been i while since i posted on here but currently feeling nostalgic about Stargate, Sg1 will always hold a special place in my memories. It is such an under appreciated franchise and i still wish we could see another Stargate show( i am not counting that mini prequel show they are making online).

SG1,SGA,SGU were all special to their fans in some way and in hindsight i think the biggest regret is how the fandom became so divided during the Atlantis cancellation and SGU debut. I believe the best way to have prevented the bad blood would have been to give the SGA fans a miniseries or a shortened final 6th season to run alongside SGU. Another idea could have been to emulate what Star Trek Deep space nine did which was run with another more traditional Trek show(TNG,VOY) during it's entire seven years, so that the fans who did not like the changes in DS9 still had a more old school entry in the franchise. Obviously this would have helped with those that did not enjoy the changes in SGU, so basically a 4th more old school Stargate could have aired with SGU to please most of the fandom.
    I agree with this. I loved all three shows, definitely felt SGA should have run concurrently with SGU. I think had that happened, SGU would have had more seasons. They should have done with those two the way they did with SG1/SGA .
    I think the reason they didn't do it that way was money. At least that is what I remember. SGA had more story to tell, I'd say at least 2 more seasons, and it would have helped ratings with SGU.

Comment

I think SGA had at least a good 3 seasons worth of material left..

Comment

Indeed, they should have "finished" SGA (however long a true ending would take - I personally would have loved 4+ more seasons, but one or two more to wrap up would have been nice already!).

They should have also launched a third spin-off (new team, probably set in the milky way after SG-1 - so you can have guest appearances of Sam, Daniel, Jack etc. and also show how humanity develops after having the Asgard legacy dumped into their lap!)...

Then again: They should have made more of an effort to correct everything wrong (IMHO!) with SGU!

That show wasn't what I expected from Stargate! Damned, I still can't really watch it! The characters are so incredibly flawed (some might call them "realistic" - but if that's what I want then I'll freaking go OUTSIDE and interact with those pesky real people!), selfish, stupid etc. after having more noble people (who still had flaws, like Jack's hate of the Tok'ra - as annoying as they were, they could have after all helped us make our own ships but didn't even share all their intelligence, despite the fact that that was part of the damned agreement! Or Daniel's inability to accept talking doesn't always work and instead of a speaking softly all the time sometimes you need the big stick! etc. etc.) for over a decade at that point! Not to mention that the premise was flawed (why would humanity with all the problems it still has to solve go after an ancient monument (Destiny is a piece of ancient junk compared to Atlantis and the Asgard Technology, hell the FTL-Method alone is flawed - seriously: Generators that have a serious cooldown period after leaving FTL, but can be used for years of continuous flight? Yeah makes sense!)) and the execution is crappy, too (why is a spaceship grim-dark? Did someone steal the freaking light-bulbs? I want to freaking see ****, not have to guess what is happening...I hate this in games, too but there at least ich can change the brightness level!)

I admit I still don't like SGU much - hell, I hate all of the characters except guest characters (Jack, Daniel, Sam etc.), Eli (despite the fact that he's the loyal puppet of ****ing Colonel "I am unfit for leadership and let my troops hurt civilians for fun! (could use all his other transgressions, too like not giving a crap about the UCMJ by sleeping with TJ or conduct unbecoming an officer for beating up Telford!)" Young!), Gin (what can I say, I just liked her because she was friendly - not to mention that she looked good!) and Rush (brilliant, driven guy - but also devious as hell and not sorry!) - but that doesn't mean I like what it did to the fandom

greetings LAX
        ps: I hate that they try to sneakily re-boot Stargate now with this damned new show which is a prequel, too (meaning they will probably mess up the lore big-time!)...give us more SGA, finish SGU (you started that mess, so at least give us a movie that finishes it!) and make a new show after SG-1/SGA

Comment

Strange its cause of that flawed characters i liked SGU quite a lot. They were not like the
          "always solving things in the last second after minutes of whining technobabble" of Sam or rodney..

Comment

I still stand by SGU. Sure, it wasn't the normal Stargate formula but I liked that! The show and the characters got progressively better with each quarter season and it all worked really. That moment during Twin Destinies with Rush and Young - "including you and me?" That really hit me and it was earned! It's such a shame it got cancelled when it felt like the show had hit its stride. Great characters, some great stories (still think Time is one of the best episodes of Stargate) and a really intriguing mystery.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
            X