Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would WE react if WE found out the stargate was true ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neither Star Trek or Stargate can truly claim to have predicted anything. They are both operating not merely on the fringe of modern science but in fact are beyond the fringe and across the galaxy by now.
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
    http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
    http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by darth_timon View Post
      Neither Star Trek or Stargate can truly claim to have predicted anything. They are both operating not merely on the fringe of modern science but in fact are beyond the fringe and across the galaxy by now.
      I agree, both dulled the boundaries between real and fantasy. I read yesterday that scintists have transported material up to ten miles. the problem being, the machine destroys the original during break down, and then creates a copy on the other end, so not viable. And i don't mean they predicted anything, more like inspired creative minds to come up with "something like star trek/strargate". I did like Stargate's method of incorporating real science, instead of made up words that future man had coined. How would we react if we found the stargate was real? At first fear would grip many hearts,due mainly to our outlook on "aliens" from the movies. (Not unfounded though, since 'survival of the fittest' is a common theme, from early star system development to simple and complex life alike) But given no attack, The next response would be anger at the hiding of such a technology, which would slowly be displaced by a massive increase in supply for whatever agency was in charge. The desire to leave for new ground could even lead to attrition on earth due to the fact that it is hard to live in the society we have built.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyadamson View Post
        1. Jules Verne wrote about rocket ships that "break the pull of earths gravity and leave our atmosphere" (from the earth to the moon) as well as (20000 leagues under the sea) where he had a vessel that could dive under the water and stay dry inside. Davinci drew up plans for a flying machine in the 15th century. in a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, the aliens had bracelets that were interconnected and were full of useful info on the galaxy, (pda or tablets with internet) Now lets go to the headlines. In the last year, we have done this: (search buzzfeed, 27 science fictions that became fact.) Weve made a replicator device, 3-d printing. And scientist at nasa are talking about using foodstuffs to make time in space healthier for the astronauts by 3-d printing meals for them, (stak trek) Weve made a cloaking device that bends light around an object, rendering it invisible, genetically engineered silk for body armor, robotic exoskeletons, spray on skin, eye implants repairing eyes that never worked, microsoft has just patented the holodeck from star trek, mind controlled robotics, self driving cars, artificial leaves that produce electricity, hyposray medical injections, which means no needles, scientists impressed us all this year by transporting materials a whopping ten miles, tractor beams "It works by shining a hollow laser beam around small glass particles, as Inside Science explains. The air around the particle heats up, but the hollow center of the beam stays cool. The heated air molecules keep the object balanced in the dark center. But a small amount of light sneaks into the hollow, warming the air on one side of the object and nudging it along the length of the laser beam. Researchers can change the speed and direction of the glass object by changing the lasers' brightness." Looking at the strong science fiction influences here, it's only logical to ask, "Would these have even been created had there not been science fiction stories to inspire them? A NASA scientist once told Gene Rodenberry that he was upset when the original Star Trek was cancelled because Star Trek was such a great source of ideas for them...more than he would ever have known. I could continue. Even trains and cruise ships were once a dream in some regular guy's mind. Don't be so 1 dimensional.
        You should break up your posts in paragraphs, hard to read a wall of text.

He was actually inspired by real science for his story on 'rockets', it revolved around the notion of firing a massive gun up at the sky and reach escape velocity. He himself attempted to do calculations regarding such a feasibility. Some Russian came by later and disproved them with calculations of his own and conceived of modern day chemical rockets. Point is he was inspired by science prior to his story.

His 20,000 leagues novel came after the Civil War, i.e. after the H.L. Hunley. Da Vinci didn't draw up plans on a whimsy, he studied birds and their wings before making his plans. He wasn't doing sci-fi here, he was doing actual science, early crude form of science but regardless.

The idea of 3D printing and its prototypes were around long before Star Trek's replicator device, about 10 years before by Hull and Kodama. Manufacturing engineers always wished to compactify the whole production process, this wasn't something dramatically new done by Trek that gave birth to something like that. You're just listing off technologies without having done the proper research for their inspirations, if any. Reading a pop sci magazine isn't going to give you the history of such and such innovations and especially not the development of the scientific theories that inspired them.

I'll grant you that sci-fi does inspire people to go into science and spark their own curiosity, but to make a sweeping generalization that all scientific innovations are inspired by sci-fi is ignorant and doing a disservice to all the hard work scientists and engineers have done learning the actual science and figuring out methods of applications for the theoretical works. It's mostly the other way around. But sci-fi does inspire some things in the field of engineering and applied sciences, sure.

Comment

[QUOTE=jmoz;13841832]You should break up your posts in paragraphs, hard to read a wall of text.

Perfect, thank you. don't want to argue, just wanted to hear some thing better than "you guys r dumb that shows fake." You are eight. I have been picking pieces off yahoo and the stories it leads me, and that was the full extent of my research. But I do love Stargate in all its forms.

Comment

I think it would be exciting but scary as well.

The thought of having such a piece of technology that can mean you can go to many hundreds of worlds.

You dont know if they will be friendly or hostile.
            But i think it is worth taking the risk.

After all its an adventure and we all like adventure the thought of exploring new worlds it cant get much better.

Comment

I found yet another good use of it that none of you thought about yet. Alas it was used in such way in S2E03-Prisoners. I would find a desolate planet with absolutely no other population. Rainforest or jungle. Clear away trees in a 500 mile radius and whack a giant concrete prison in it, the biggest prison ever built, at least by humans. We would only send the most evil criminals into that prison. and it would be a high tech facility, so there wouldn't be a chance to smuggling in or out anything or anyone. The gate on the planet would be modified in a way that it would only accept a dial in from Earth and the gate from the planet could only dial Earth, so no accidental visitors from any other planet than ours and no chance of escape, if it's even possible in a maximum security prison, to another planet, moon or such. The prison would be a self sustained facility, meaning there would be farms and animals inside and the inmates would cultivate those farms and breed the animals if they were to eat. The prison guards would be special trained, carefully selected and monitored personnel. A psych check would be mandatory every 2-3 month along with a full physical test and health examination. What do you think?
              sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Paradigm shift:

How would aliens react if they found out the stargate existed and they used it to travel to Earth?

Another shift:

How would one human react - or perhaps a small group of humans - if an alien race arrived, somehow managed to implant within the minds of every single human being on our planet the notion of humans and those aliens living together on Earth, only that one human or small group of humans would be immune to that implanted notion?
                Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
                Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
                What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
                An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
                When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
                Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Comment

To your first question: I think mostly the same as us. That is given their society is the same. Factors would be: 1)encountered other aliens before: Y/N
                  2)capable of interstellar travel: Y/N
                  3)Religious: Y/N
                  4)Are they identify themselves as following races or resemble them in any way: Goa'uld, Replicator, Ori, Wraith etc. If Yes please do not contact us again. If you do you could experience symptoms like mild/sever death, destroyed starfleets, captured comrads and possible extinction.

As for your second question, you had me confused, can you rephrase it a bit? I think I mainly understand what you are trying to suggest, but it has to make complete sense in order to be answered properly. That's just my opinion.
                  sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

How would WE react if WE found out the stargate was true ??
                    If it's the actual Stargate, and the actual aliens in the Stargate universe...

I would go beg the SGC to send me to the Tok'ra so I could be a host. Immediately.
                    sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

In reply to the OP's question:

I think it would depend on who found it - I mean, I assume you mean finding the Stargate in the modern day, and not back in 1929? The only reason the Stargate ended up being US property is because of the circumstances in Egypt at the time: it was discovered by an American archaeologist working in a country that was still politically influenced by the British, who was able to get the device shipped back to the US at the outbreak of World War II and claimed ownership due to the manner of the archaeological law of "finder's keepers". If Egyptian archaeologists - or for that matter, any archaeologist - discovered the Stargate today on the Giza Plateau, then the Egyptian government would claim ownership. In a country that is currently still experiencing political instability, but with a government that is Muslim-led, then religion could potentially influence the fate of the Stargate long before it had an international effect. It's quite possible that - fearing for the sanctity of their religious convictions due to its discovery - it would be locked away somewhere once destroying it proved impossible.

If, on the other hand, it was the Antarctica Stargate (and I'm working off the presumption we're using the show as a basis for location), then it's quite possible it would be found by the United States. Fearing for the long-term international effect such a device could have, they'd probably pay off the discoverers and either lock it away or utilise it in a manner similar to the show.

If civilian scientists discovered a Stargate in a Western nation and managed to bring it to the public sphere, then I imagine you'd get a situation that looked something like this: NATO would attempt to acquire it citing its ability for potentially hostile aliens to gain a foothold on Earth, if they haven't already; religious organisations would posture and go into a period of reinterpretation of their scriptures in such a manner to accommodate the possibility that God created life on other planets; fundamentalist religious groups would simply outright deny the existence/function of the device, and possibly attempt to destroy it or kill those that support its use citing heresy; China would vehemently object to the idea of the United States and its allies possessing an advanced piece of alien technology that could potentially give them access to advanced weaponry; and the United Nations would flounder trying to get all parties around a table to discuss property rights. Potentially leading to the dissolution of the UNSC and increased hostility between the continental powers.

Meanwhile, secular society would applaud the discovery and scream themselves hoarse trying to get their respective governments to recognise how petty we all must seem to the people that built the bloody thing in the first place.
                      If there is hope... it lies in the proles.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterking72 View Post
                        To your first question: I think mostly the same as us. That is given their society is the same. Factors would be: 1)encountered other aliens before: Y/N
                        2)capable of interstellar travel: Y/N
                        3)Religious: Y/N
                        4)Are they identify themselves as following races or resemble them in any way: Goa'uld, Replicator, Ori, Wraith etc. If Yes please do not contact us again. If you do you could experience symptoms like mild/sever death, destroyed starfleets, captured comrads and possible extinction.

As for your second question, you had me confused, can you rephrase it a bit? I think I mainly understand what you are trying to suggest, but it has to make complete sense in order to be answered properly. That's just my opinion.
                        RE: paradigm shift, my 1st question, and your 4 factors, let's say:
                        1) No
                        2) Yes
                        3) No
                        4) No

Regarding my 2nd question paraphrased:

Scenario:

An alien race arrives on Earth.

They implant all humans with fake memories of that alien race and humans living together on Earth.

Only one human or a small group of humans realize(s) that he/she/they is/are immune to that implant.

How would he/she/they react?
                        Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
                        What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
                        An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. D. View Post
                          RE: paradigm shift, my 1st question, and your 4 factors, let's say:
                          1) No
                          2) Yes
                          3) No
                          4) No

Regarding my 2nd question paraphrased:

Scenario:

An alien race arrives on Earth.

They implant all humans with fake memories of that alien race and humans living together on Earth.

Only one human or a small group of humans realize(s) that he/she/they is/are immune to that implant.

How would he/she/they react?
                          I'm going to be really annoying: are the aliens oppressive? The minority would be ridiculed for their outlandish beliefs (no matter how factual), and even if it was true, how could they object to the nice Serrakin that have brought us peace, prosperity and delicious space-cake? Maybe the aliens had a good reason for the implants: they wanted to integrate with humans (perhaps their species is endangered?) but feared the violent reaction they would get from a race that had never made contact with extraterrestrials?

Comment

Originally posted by Pytheas View Post
                            I'm going to be really annoying: are the aliens oppressive?
                            Let's merge both of my paradigm shift questions together, so an alien race discovers their stargate and they gate to Earth, at which point they implant the human race with fake memories of living together on Earth.

Regarding whether or not they're oppressive, let's say that it just happened and the one human or small group of humans do not currently know that. They do know that they are the only one(s) with what appear(s) to be unaltered memories, so they know that the aliens and humans previously did not live together, then they did, and yet there was no objection from the human race as a result of that change.

The minority would be ridiculed for their outlandish beliefs (no matter how factual), and even if it was true, how could they object to the nice Serrakin that have brought us peace, prosperity and delicious space-cake?
                            That definitely sounds like an initial reaction from other humans if the one or few who had their true memories spoke up about it. If they didn't speak up but chose to do something about it, how might they go about it?

Maybe the aliens had a good reason for the implants: they wanted to integrate with humans (perhaps their species is endangered?) but feared the violent reaction they would get from a race that had never made contact with extraterrestrials?
                            Very interesting possibility. What if they had good intentions? What if they had bad intentions? How would the humans with the true or false memories find out, and what could they do about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. D. View Post
                              Very interesting possibility. What if they had good intentions? What if they had bad intentions? How would the humans with the true or false memories find out, and what could they do about it?
                              I fear this might take me down the road of writing a basic plot for a possible television series.

THE IMMUNE
                              Earth, 2033. The Secundii and Humans have lived on this planet in symbiotic harmony for over a hundred years. Life is brimming; law is just; medicine can cure most ailments; and the planet is united - a single indomitable force of two races.

Yet, for all the peace and prosperity that this relationship seems to bring, one man knows the truth. For reasons he does not understand, Simon Barker is having memories of an alien invasion occurring ten years ago - by the Secundii. There is more: images of life on Earth, from 1925 to the present, that contains only humans and no mention of extraterrestrial life. Could it be that they are simply dreams? Or are they something more... something real?

With the fear that the Secundii are here for a much more sinister purpose, Barker seeks out others like him, and finds they are too numerous to be coincidence. From this pedestal, the so-called Immune continue their hunt to find more that are resistant to a suspicious neurological implant, and uncover the clues that might point to the reason why the Secundii are here.

Domination? Integration? Only the Immune can know.

Too late.

Comment

Wow that would be a good show

Comment

Working...
                                X