Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you coping without the SG franchise?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie to the forum, but not SG. Hubs and I started watching in SG1 1997 after loving the premise of the movie. We've watched it a few times since on DVD and I just recently started watching it again with our 10 year old son. He has become obsessed with SG (and I don't mind watching RDA-yummy) and we watch an ep almost every night (hubs is in Afghanistan and we only get 12 English channels, so it's not like we've got a lot else to do in the evenings). Hubs and I never got into SGA and I've not watched SGU. I may have to give at least SGA another chance. In Sept and Oct, I read all the Stargate novels available on Kindle (I read fast) and I read ff. I write some too, but I've never posted any of it. Watching SF1 again makes me so sad that it ended. Season's 9 and 10 were never my favorite though because there was not enough Jack. I could happily watch S1-8 again and again. I guess I have. Yikes. I was sad when SG1 ended, but it seems sadder to me now after 5 years because nothing has come on to replace it that is half as good.
    My mom flew over (we live in Europe) in Sept and we went on a cruise. Before we left and after we came back, she watched a few eps with us and fell in love (I also introduced her to Castle when she visited last year). We were on S4, but she wanted to watch from the beginning, so I let her take season 1-3 home with her (reluctantly and a promise of a painful death if something happened to them). Almost every time we talk on the phone, she mentions Stargate. I think it's funny. She's dying to get her hands on the next few seasons. We're almost at the end of S6, so I promised I'd mail 4-6 to her as soon as we're done.
    Oh, one of the stops on our cruise was Egypt (awesome!) and when we were at Giza, my son looked at the pyramids and said something to the effect that if the Goa'uld used them as landing platforms, the mother ships must have been massive. He is mad about Egypt, and plans to be Indiana Jones when he grows up (one of the reasons I thought he'd like Stargate) and it was cute how after he got over his awe of actually being there, he thought of Stargate.

I don't know what we'll do when we're at the end of the DVD's. I'm afraid he'll go into a deep depression. The books are a bit over his head, so I don't know what he'll do. Probably smuggle all the DVD's to the playroom and watch them on the TV in there over and over.

Good grief that was long. I swear I'm not always so loquacious. Simple answer to the original question: watch the DVD's, read the books, and fantasize about Jack O'Neill.
    FF Name ~ Shoe Queen

Read my 2014 Sam and Jack Multimedia Awards nominated fics!

Galatea
    I Saw Three Ships
    What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
    Staying Behind
    Always Find You
    Paper Flowers
    The Things We Want
    Have Yourself a Shippy Little Christmas

Comment

I don't think ya'll will find SG-1 ending to be depressing. Really, it comes to a grand conclusion toward the end of the eighth season. New characters, new villains in the ninth season. Everything came to a great conclusion in the movie The Ark of Truth, and Continuum served as one last hurrah. Both movies leave viewers with a lot of resolution. I suspect ya'll will love Atlantis. It started just after SG-1's eighth season premiere and aired parallel with SG-1 for three years. After SG-1 and the movies, Atlantis continued for two more seasons. After that, there was Universe, but I can't comment on the quality, I've only seen the first three episodes. I didn't like it at all. Back to Atlantis... Have you seen any episodes? If not, remember "The Pegasus Project?" Now imagine that going for 100 episodes.

Comment

I simply rewatch the old SG-1 and Atlantis on TV, SG-1 is on every day here still on a channel and SGA is on too, nearly each Monday =)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          After that, there was Universe, but I can't comment on the quality, I've only seen the first three episodes. I didn't like it at all.
          To be honest, SGU season 1 is an acquired taste. Season 2 was superior to season 1 which was pretty much setting up the scenario for far too many episodes than it needed. Considering they were dumped in a galaxy billions of light years away from earth they could have had a lot more action than they did. Instead they spent half of season 1 just setting up the plot.

Comment

I want new Stargate and I want it now
            sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

HI,

I'm a newbie to this forum, but possibly joined it or a different SG site a few years ago with a different email address.

Sad indeed was the day that SG ended -
              The "following" is certainly there for MGM to put some movies together and make profit so why they dont do it is beyond me .... I think its more to do with some politics than money, and that someone in MGM doesnt like someone else ie Brad

For me, Stargate IS and ALWAYS will be the BEST Sci Fi ever made.
              How the writers and producers came up with the never ending ideas and amazing storylines which intertwined with all of mythology and put it together like a giant jigsaw puzzle was incredible !!!

I coped with the loss of Stargate by spending every spare cent of cash to buy up as much Stargate memorabilia as possible from e-bay. And 150,000 dollars later I have what must be one of the best collections in the world ... Pride of place is the DHD device that was used on all three Stargate series and the films [I believe its the only "Screen Used" working version that exists ?] ...

Most of my collection is from SGU as most of the SG1 and Atlantis stuff was sold before I knew the stuff was being auctioned off ... but for me, SGU was actually shaping up from what we got in season 2, to be the best of the Stargate stories ... I bought 3 of the 8 sections of the "Destiny" Stargate and converted one of them into the best TV stand in the world [and even re-wired it all so that the gate addresses light up at the press of a button ... I can send you a pic if you email me].... And I even attended our 400 people Xmas party wearing Eli's SGU "Ancient Spacesuit"

For me, if they never resurrect it, "pleasure" will be sitting in the Stargate room surrounded by all the stuff from the show, and watching all the series time over with my son [who'se only 1 year old right now] and hoping that he gets the same kick out of the experience as me ...

Stefan

Comment

When I saw COTG for the first time I'd just finished my GCSEs. Stargate was then part of my life as I went through A Levels, Uni, moving from the London suburbs to Exeter, bouncing in and out of various bits of part time work, getting involved in Aspergers groups and then suddenly SG is scifi history.

I don't blame the writers for trying their hand at SGU...I was ready for it! I'm sorry that others...weren't. SG1 had an insanely long run. Atlantis fans have no reason to complain about a five-year run either. SGU...ended too soon. I'm not sure if a 4th Stargate show is or was ever doable from a creative perspective but I was expecting SGU to go 3 seasons at least.

What now...well...maybe Rewatch Babylon 5 for the first time since the 90s...in terms of current stuff well Doctor Who and Continuum are the best of the bunch really. Continuum is the new show that's come closest to gripping me since Stargate. Maybe try getting more into that fandom and bid Gaterdom and Gateworld goodbye.

All good things must come to an end I guess!
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I am coping very well. As I have every episode of SG-1 on Video and DVD (Video seasons 1-4) DVD seasons 5-10, Stargate Atlantis Seasons 1-5 on DVD, SGU seasons 1-2 on DVD.
                  And I also have Stargate Infinity.

Also here on in the UK. Sky 1 and Sky 2 show repeats of various seasons on weekdays. And PickTV has started a run of SG-1.
                  "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                  Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                  Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                  Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                  I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                  To thy own self... Be true
                  May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by stefanchik View Post
                    HI,

I coped with the loss of Stargate by spending every spare cent of cash to buy up as much Stargate memorabilia as possible from e-bay. And 150,000 dollars later I have what must be one of the best collections in the world ...
                    For me, if they never resurrect it, "pleasure" will be sitting in the Stargate room surrounded by all the stuff from the show,
                    Stefan
                    ahhh wow, post some pics please

Comment

I dont know how to upload pics, as its wanting a URL,
                      So here is a small list of some of the stuff that I have.

The actual and "only" working DHD device which was ever built and was used in the original movie, in SG1, all the SG1 films, Atlantis, and SGU

The interchangeable Atlantis DHD symbols that can be put in the DHD device above

Two of the 8 segments that the "Destiny" based Stargate was cut up into (which I then made light up like the actual gate did) .. did have 3 of the 8 but sold one last week

The "Destiny Power Core" that Rush electrocuted Col' Telford on

Eli's "Ancient Spacesuit"

One of the only 2 Ancient Drones that were ever made (those yellow ones from the end of season 7)

Both the open and closed versions of the "face hugging" Ancients knowledge database's

Both of the Destiny Shuttle flight console's that were made

One of the only two "Large Kino Controllers" that were built (is also a working version)

2 Computers used on screen in Atlantis (one of which is Mckay's tablet), and the other is the diagnostics Hand held Sony Vaio ... I've got an ebay listing for all the software which can be found here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170910583477...477%26_rdc%3D1

Control panels and monitors from Destiny's Bridge

All 8 of the beautiful Stasis Pod curved doors from the final scene of SGU

5 of the 8 stasis pod monitors

Dr Rush's screen used Oakley glasses

Crystals from the "Asgaard Core" which were gifted to the Tau'ri in the last episode of SG1

A Jaffa costume (without the serpent head unfortunately)

The list goes on and on and I couldn't possibly list it all here right now

When I get a website up next summer, I'll upload all the pics of the Stargate Room when its fully decked out and put a link to it on a suitable place here in the forum :-)

Comment

Currently coping by watching the franchise atleast once a year, including the original movie.

But, by the time SGU finishes I want more and I want SGU finished properly, I hate cliffhangers, it happened with Angel and now it's SGU. And just when I was starting to really enjoy it!
                        sigpic

Comment

@stefanchik Are you the person with the SGA gate segment in their SG room? Also was it you selling the SGU captains chair? - That was on ebay a few weeks back for $10k! Stunning piece of kit that. I would have settled for one of the drop down ceiling monitors from the bridge but I never even knew the stuff was being sold off until 2 years later!

I really loved SGU.. the ship (despite being battered) was incredible and full of so much character. I'm still really, really sad that its gone

Comment

Hi Energizer

I'm not the person you mention, thats the ebay seller "Humev"
                            ... Nice pieces yes, but the prices this person lists for are 3 imes what they paid to win the original auction items ... which is just trying to "rip off" the SG fans :-(

However, BETTER than their stuff ?, here is what I did to one of my segment's of "Destiny's" Stargate ... see the 2nd entry "Fan Ingenuity" :-))

http://vipfanauctions.com/blog/stargate/page/2/

PS: if you look closely, then above each of the gate address lights in the picture, you can see a switch that I installed which will turn that particular address on and off :-))
                            ... The original complete Destiny Stargate was controlled by a computer to turn everything off and on (all the ethernet cables were still inside my segment)

Comment

Thats an excellent TV stand stefan! I love it!

How heavy is the actual gate segment by itself? - Any idea how they all fitted together? - EG latches, poles / sockets, super glue?

Comment

Originally posted by stefanchik View Post
                                Control panels and monitors from Destiny's Bridge
                                Do you mean the monitors that came down from the ceiling of the bridge? - Do you have any photos of them?!??!

They really were one of the best parts of the ship... (dumb I know but it was such a great scene when they dropped down in the middle of season 2!)

Comment

Working...
                                X