Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you a "week to week" or a "marathon" viewer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to watch Stargate SG-1 when it premiered, but I didn't keep up with it and sort of stopped after the first two seasons. It wasn't until 2009 that I watched the original movie for the first time in years with my dad one evening and immediately went out of my way to buy the first season on DVD. I ended up watching about four episodes (a whole disc) in one sitting and gradually made my way through SG-1 over the course of a year and a bit, as I didn't buy all the DVDs immediately after sitting through one season. I more recently bought Stargate Atlantis' first season on a whim and after getting through that I purchased the remaining four seasons, getting through them rather quickly before moving onto SGU.

Comment

Probably a bit of both to be honest. I saw the movie at the Cineama when it first came out, but when SG-1 was originally airing I was err...... "distracted" by the evils of "real life" () so I think I didn't start watching regularly till around S5 but then I watched all of it (ya, including SGU) up until the end on a weekly basis. With SG1 I was given a Subscription to the 2 disc a month pack with the magazine which I kept up until S7, but after that I just bought the sets as they came out.

Even now I probably see an ep of SG1 & SGA every day as they are on a 3/day rotation on Scifi Aus.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I saw the movie when I was younger and loved it, but it took me a while to realise a series had started from it lol. I started watching SG-1 weekly around the end of season 4, as it was airing new, but I did catch up with the show from the beginning around that time too in one heck of a marathon I really enjoyed getting into the series as it aired and following it until the very end.

With Atlantis, I gave it a go when it started airing (it used to be shown right after SG-1 each week), but I didn't follow it in the end as I much preferred SG-1. I didn't bother with Universe at all as I kept forgetting it was on, and I think I've only seen one ep all the way through - it didn't particularly grab me, tbh.

I am wanting to give Atlantis another go however, so as I am doing a rewatch at the moment I am going to incorporate Atlantis along the way when I get to it as I regret not giving it a better chance at the time it originally aired.
        sigpic
        Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

If you want to follow Atlantis chronologically with SG-1, hold off until you finish SG-1's seventh season. After that...

SG-1 (Season 8) / Atlantis (Season 1)
          SG-1 (Season 9) / Atlantis (Season 2)
          SG-1 (Season 10) / Atlantis (Season 3)
          The Ark of Truth
          Atlantis (Season 4)
          Atlantis (Season 5) / Continuum

Watch SG-1's eighth season premiere, then jump over to Atlantis for the series premiere. After that, bounce back and forth as you like. Watch SG-1's two-part season finale before SGA's two-part season finale. For the next two seasons (of both shows), bounce back and forth as you please. Though there are a lot of crossovers on SGA and one big one on SG-1, the shows stand apart really well. My mom and I watched SGA before starting SG-1 and finished the show before finishing SG-1's fifth season. She was able to follow the show without any questions. Oh, and the movies... You'll want to watch the SG-1 movie The Ark of Truth before watching SGA's third season finale. When you start SGA's fourth season, you'll understand why. As for Continuum, it was filmed with the intention of taking place right after the prior movie. Due to a delayed release for both movies, the writers added dialogue to SGA's fifth season premiere to imply that the second movie was about to happen.

I hope that helps.

Comment

With SG-1 I started right from the start when it originally aired over here and was a weekly viewer until season 6 started, then I lost a)my TV in that time and b) my interest in the show.
            For Atlantis I started after the second season. A former so called friend of mine made me aware on that show and recorded both seasons for me, unfortunately not in airing-order but up to her priorities. But I bought the DVDs very quickly for myself and also began to watch SG-1 again, first seasons 8 and 9 via DVDs later then season 10 first in English along with the third season of Atlantis. When both shows aired over here I tried my best to view it weekly, unfortunately I couldn't in that time because of the job I was working. So I became more and more a marathon-viewer.

About Universe ... well, I watched Air via Net short time after the original run in the US but gave up with that. Started a second try when the show came over but never got beyond the first 10 episodes. Not my cup of tea *shrugs*

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
            Sig & Avi by Josi
            sigpic
            LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
            I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              If you want to follow Atlantis chronologically with SG-1, hold off until you finish SG-1's seventh season. After that...

SG-1 (Season 8) / Atlantis (Season 1)
              SG-1 (Season 9) / Atlantis (Season 2)
              SG-1 (Season 10) / Atlantis (Season 3)
              The Ark of Truth
              Atlantis (Season 4)
              Atlantis (Season 5) / Continuum

I hope that helps.
              Thank you, it does help a lot *makes a note of it* I couldn't for the life of me remember where abouts Atlantis fit in (I actually thought it was at least alongside season 7 - if not 6 - of SG-1), so at least now it'll make more sense to me
              sigpic
              Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinar_of_Malkshur View Post
                Thank you, it does help a lot *makes a note of it* I couldn't for the life of me remember where abouts Atlantis fit in (I actually thought it was at least alongside season 7 - if not 6 - of SG-1), so at least now it'll make more sense to me
                There's another viewing order that is much more detailed, including specific events that occur between SG1 & SGA for certain characters, or just in general, though I'd have to dig it up. I've abandoned that approach all together, it gets too complicated and takes the fun out of the viewing.

Personally, I find it to be more enjoyable to watch:

SG94 first, then
                SG1, all of it, by itself, including AoT & Continuum at the end, then
                SGA, completely separate, then
                SGU.

One of the main reasons for keeping the productions separate is that they are very clearly different styles of Stargate.
                Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
                Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
                What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
                An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
                When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
                Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Comment

I watched the first 4 Seasons of SG-1 on a week to week basis while they were on TV (although they were a few years behind the US where I lived), then the next 6 Seasons of that and first 4 Seasons of SGA on DVD Box Sets. Then I watched Season 5 of Stargate Atlantis and all of StarGate Universe as it aired.
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

If you're already seen the shows, then yeah... it's more fun to watch them separately. However, if you're a first time viewer, you'll get more out of the two shows by watching them together. You don't need to alternate episodes or discs, though. Just alternate seasons. For example, finish out SG-1's eighth season before diving into Atlantis. Finish the first season, then return to SG-1 for the ninth season, and so on.

Comment

I'd seen the movie on TV around 1996. I had no idea a TV series had been made and caught the first season of SG-1 by chance whilst channel surfing when it was re-run in 1998 before the second season aired. At the time the first season began to be released on VHS with 4 episodes at a time in each volume. This way I caught up on what I missed of the first season. From the second season onwards I became an avid week to week viewer.

The family learned never to disturb me when Stargate came on, it was the weekly 'oasis' of peace when I could get some time to myself in the whirlwind that was real life back then with school age kids and a full time job!

I started to watch SGA in 2004 alongside SG-1 as it was broadcast one after the other on Sky One in the UK. We moved to Vancouver in October of 2005 and luckily I found the channel which broadcast SG-1 and subscribed to it, not even moving from one country to another would make me miss one episode of SG-1!!! SGA was being broadcast on another channel that you had to pay extra for and I didn't get into it so much having lost track of that after the first few episodes of season two that I'd seen before I moved. I bought the DVD's of SGA later on and watched them in marathons of 3 or 4 episodes a day, cherry picking ones that sounded good in the episode synopsis'. I'm catching up on some I haven't seen as I go through the SGA rewatch on GW.

SGU I watched on a weekly basis from the beginning as luckily it was being broadcast on the same channel that had broadcast SG-1 originally. I was glad it didn't go on that premium channel like SGA did, otherwise I would have marathoned it by buying the DVD's later on.

Comment

I started watching week to week when SGA Season 5 started ! Before that I catched up with SG1 and SGA over the course of a year ! I enjoyed SG:U on a week to week basis but I like to do a little marathon with it because this is a kind of show that you just want to get back and see how they resolve things.
                        sigpic

Comment

I was a week to week for sgu season 2. I hadn't finished watching the other shows almost until it was time for season 2. I flew through season 1 in time to watch season 2's promere live .

as for the other shows it was after they ended, so I watched an episode almost every night (as a treat since I was in college). Two parters together though .
                          sigpic

Comment

I watched the first 5 seasons of SG-1 and then jumped to the SGU when the series started and then went back and finished all SG-1, then SGA and finally SGU.

Comment

I did marathons whenever I got a new season of SG1 (birthday, Christmas).
                              I didn't watch it on TV - wrong timing.
                              CARPE DIEM
                              ANJA

Comment

marathon! definitely marathon!!

Comment

Working...
                                X