Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much did a typical Stargate episode cost to make?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much did a typical Stargate episode cost to make?

in any series?

I think the average cost was around 2, to 2.5 million US dollars.

However this would vary as SG1 would cost more due to the overall higher salaries some actors would be getting after 10 seasons of work (compared to SGA's 3-5 seasons depending on actor).

sigpic

Comment

From what I've been able to glean, we know that SGU episodes cost over $2m, and SG-1 and Atlantis costing over $1.5m, but they never really go into specifics.

Comment

Aha, a good question.

As Saber said, 2-2.5 million is probably a fair guess. I would say the same.

Of course with SGU the money went towards the effects more than the actors.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
          Aha, a good question.

surly The Full Monty's leading man doesn't come cheap

Comment

Cartyle probably was a little more expensive then the other actors but I don't think it would have been a huge amounts. He isn't as well known in North America as he is in Europe
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but what exactly requires all that money for one episode? Are props really that costly? Although...I can actually think of a lot of things that would add up after a while.
              sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

The cast and crew specfically the cast members
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Cartyle probably was a little more expensive then the other actors but I don't think it would have been a huge amounts. He isn't as well known in North America as he is in Europe
                  He is well known for accepting an "affordable" salary if it's a project he wants to do. He talked a lot about taking a new direction because the film industry in the UK was nearly dead. He has done many Indie films that couldn't pay much. But it's a good bet it was significantly higher than the others.
                  sigpic

Comment

I doubt it was much more then what a lead gets versus the other regulars due the new information you gave me and he isn't that well known over here
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      I doubt it was much more then what a lead gets versus the other regulars due the new information you gave me and he isn't that well known over here
                      I would think Ming-Na and LDP were close, yet their roles were not as extensive, LDP being re occurring.
                      sigpic

Comment

Here's an interview from '09 where Robert Carlyle talks about how and why he took the SGU role. At about 3:20 minutes he specifically talks about his frustrations with the film industry.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLX5eJimUgU
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                          Aha, a good question.

SGU had a much larger cast with a bigger name lead, so I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
                            in any series?
                            In any of the series, no idea. Though by the time they got around to SGU, I believe that either Mallozzi and/or Carlyle mentioned a budget. The show was given a budget - for one season - of USD$40 million ($40,000,000). Do the math, 20 episodes per season, and that's an average $2,000,000 per episode. I suspect it was more for some episodes and less for other episodes. Given an average episode duration of, say, about 43 minutes, that gives an average cost of $46,500 per minute, or $775 per second. Crazy stuff.
                            Are you in the Kansas City area? Do you know any SG fans in the area?
                            Email me and join the local group of Stargate enthusiasts! (Email address in my profile.)
                            What if... events occurred differently in Stargate? | Which version Stargate fan are you?
                            An all new crew: Who would you want MGM to hire for a new Stargate show or movie(s)?
                            When have you met SG cast or crew (excluding conventions)?
                            Stargate Enthusiasts in the Kansas City Area | Being Introduced to Stargate

Comment

Working...
                            X