This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
    The question is, does the Stargate beam the people using ring-type technology, through the wormhole it's created?
    No, not ring technology.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
      No, not ring technology.
      Depends what you and I each mean by "ring technology". There can only be so many ways of dematerialising the human body. It seems daft that the Ancients came up with completely different ways for the two devices. I'm being particular here to separate out the dematerialising/materialising part from the transmission part.

Comment

In that case, I suppose both devices could be based on the same underlying technology.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          I haven't seen the movie and/or might misinterpret the question so correct me if I'm wrong, but is it really as simple as just trying all 33 glyphs to get the lock? The other six glyphs would also actually have to be part of an address to get a lock, so if those aren't correct you can still try 33 times for the POI but it won't work, even if you get the right POI.

And using the information from the show you would also need a DHD to dial (stellar drift correction).
          At the time of the movie they had found a cartouche with 6 glyphs and they had a reasonable working theory that it was a transportation device. However, they first thought that the glyphs were from an unknown language and therefore there was no reason to assume the 6 glyphs even had anything to do with a destination for all they knew it was an alien language explaining how to turn it off and on or just saying hello. So then it would stand to reason that since they didn't officially know it was an address of some sort they would have had no way of knowing that they even had to input a seventh symbol, or for that matter an eighth or a ninth, etc. Like someone said above me, "what happens if the wrong one blows up the world if we keep punching in symbols?". It's been awhile since I've seen the movie but Katherine Langford states "Jackson has identified the seventh symbol" in a way that implies they were looking for one all along but I think really it's him that points out that they need one in the first place.

Comment

I'm rewatching the original movie of Stargate and realised (amongst many other things) there is a plot hole/anomaly.

How did the scientists know that 'gate travel was one way? In the control room, having established and broken first connection, they decide the mission is naught without recon. Meaning they need to go and then dial back. Why not assume that the connection works in two directions?
            I think the simplest answer to your question would just be if it works 2-way then they are fine either way but if they assume that then they risk stranding the team. More than likely they just are trying to avoid that and make sure if they send people through they can get them back, otherwise they learn nothing about the other world if the team is lost to them forever.

Comment

Originally posted by terminator View Post
              At the time of the movie they had found a cartouche with 6 glyphs and they had a reasonable working theory that it was a transportation device. However, they first thought that the glyphs were from an unknown language and therefore there was no reason to assume the 6 glyphs even had anything to do with a destination for all they knew it was an alien language explaining how to turn it off and on or just saying hello. So then it would stand to reason that since they didn't officially know it was an address of some sort they would have had no way of knowing that they even had to input a seventh symbol, or for that matter an eighth or a ninth, etc. Like someone said above me, "what happens if the wrong one blows up the world if we keep punching in symbols?". It's been awhile since I've seen the movie but Katherine Langford states "Jackson has identified the seventh symbol" in a way that implies they were looking for one all along but I think really it's him that points out that they need one in the first place.
              Because by the time that she says it, they've already had the meeting when Daniel said they would need 6+1. If you recall, they have the big meeting ("done in fourteen days what they couldn't in x years" and "no, seven: six points for a destination and one for a point of origin"). It ends with Daniel stating that the Earth glyph is POO, but Dr Myers(?) says that that glyph isn't on "the device", so they open the blast shield and start spinning the wheel for no apparent purpose. During THAT sequence, Daniel spots Earth POO on the Stargate and Katherine makes the phone call to Gen. West...

Comment

Because by the time that she says it, they've already had the meeting when Daniel said they would need 6+1. If you recall, they have the big meeting ("done in fourteen days what they couldn't in x years" and "no, seven: six points for a destination and one for a point of origin"). It ends with Daniel stating that the Earth glyph is POO, but Dr Myers(?) says that that glyph isn't on "the device", so they open the blast shield and start spinning the wheel for no apparent purpose. During THAT sequence, Daniel spots Earth POO on the Stargate and Katherine makes the phone call to Gen. West...
                Yes absolutely I just got sloppy at the end there. I just meant that nobody there even knew they had to enter more than 6 until Daniel pointed out what the symbols were (constellations rather than words) and what their purpose was. Prior to him they had only entered 6 symbols because that's all that was in the cartouche. He points out that the 7th is below it in a different place that they had overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by terminator View Post
                  He points out that the 7th is below it in a different place that they had overlooked.
                  And isn't a directly represented symbol on the Stargate, either...

Comment

Working...
                  X