This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Movie - Anomaly

I'm rewatching the original movie of Stargate and realised (amongst many other things) there is a plot hole/anomaly.

How did the scientists know that 'gate travel was one way? In the control room, having established and broken first connection, they decide the mission is naught without recon. Meaning they need to go and then dial back. Why not assume that the connection works in two directions?

Presumably, wormhole physicist advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      Presumably, wormhole physicist advisers.
      Paging Samantha Carter to the white courtesy DHD...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Presumably ring transporters use different technology at some level (though possibly the underlying bit is the same) since one of the key scenes involves bi-directional ring transport.

Comment

Stargates use wormholes, the rings function like Star Trek's transporter room, only far safer and with limitations. I loved that the rings could only transport you to another set of rings. Alternatively, Goa'uld cargo ships could be used to be you from inside to below if the ship was close enough to the ground.

Comment

They also knew exactly what it would do and were able to track the transportation of the MALP.

This is why I laughed incredibly hard during 200 when Walter says 'We're so stupid.'

They were able to figure all of this out, but they couldn't find out the last glyph? Anyone heard of brute-force...? Only 33 choices.

They were quite stupid.

Comment

Comment

Depending on which version of the film you watch, original or Director's Cut, there is an additional scene that shows remains of Horus Guards embedded in rock. So in the movie (Director's Cut), they had an idea of what the device could do because of the remains buried underneath it as within the movieverse, the gate from time to time did connect.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                  hey were able to figure all of this out, but they couldn't find out the last glyph? Anyone heard of brute-force...? Only 33 choices.
                  They may not have tried trial-and-error out of fear. Reasonable, no?

Comment

They may not have tried trial-and-error out of fear. Reasonable, no?
                    No-ish. "We've only been able to get this far" when they'd dialled the first six glyphs. Which means they were prepared to try dialling six... so why not the seventh... apart from the shaking and groaning and power consumption...

Comment

I haven't seen the movie and/or might misinterpret the question so correct me if I'm wrong, but is it really as simple as just trying all 33 glyphs to get the lock? The other six glyphs would also actually have to be part of an address to get a lock, so if those aren't correct you can still try 33 times for the POI but it won't work, even if you get the right POI.

And using the information from the show you would also need a DHD to dial (stellar drift correction).
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

They had the first 6 symbols, and the address was for Abydos, so stellar drift wasn't an issue.

Comment

Because it was in the script that way.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                          sigpic
                          now also appearing on DeviantArt
                          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                            No-ish. "We've only been able to get this far" when they'd dialled the first six glyphs. Which means they were prepared to try dialling six... so why not the seventh... apart from the shaking and groaning and power consumption...
                            I meant out of fear of what might happen if they lock in the wrong seventh symbol. Remember, at the time, there was no knowledge of a network. For all they knew, it only went to one planet.

Comment

Stargates use wormholes, the rings function like Star Trek's transporter room, only far safer and with limitations. I loved that the rings could only transport you to another set of rings. Alternatively, Goa'uld cargo ships could be used to be you from inside to below if the ship was close enough to the ground.
                              The question is, does the Stargate beam the people using ring-type technology, through the wormhole it's created?

Comment

Working...
                              X