This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did SGC become operational?

Assuming it took years to build the SGC, how long did it take for the Stargate to become operational?
    And whatever happened to the female soldier kidnapped from the SGC by the goa'ulds?

The President issued the formation of nine teams in February 1997, thats when it officially began, we know that over the next few years they added a lot of stuff to the base.

As for the female soldier, she was killed by Apophis after Amonet, his queen, rejected her as a host.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
      Assuming it took years to build the SGC, how long did it take for the Stargate to become operational?
      2 years. In the orginal movie General West said to Daniel "So, you think you've solved in fourteen days what they couldn't solve in two years?".

And whatever happened to the female soldier kidnapped from the SGC by the goa'ulds?
      Apophis killed her because she wasen't compatible for his queen.

Comment

Did you watch "Children of the Gods"? It shows very clearly what happened to her.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          Did you watch "Children of the Gods"? It shows very clearly what happened to her.
          Melty Brain...
          sigpic

Comment

also depends on how picky you want to be. we see the video flashbacks back to the 60's when ernest littlefield(aka carson beckett) went through the gate which would be the first time the tau'ri have used the gate since the egyptians sealed it. so either 2 years as the movie says or potentially up to 40 or so according to Sg1.

Comment

It depends what you mean by "operational". The Stargate was apparently moved to the base by the 40s but didn't get it to work. Presumably it was then ignored and all-but forgotten for another 50 years prior to being resurrected two years before Daniel was brought on-board by Catherine.

Comment

Assuming it took years to build the SGC
                The SGC wasn't built, it's under Norad as part of Cheyenne Mountain. Quite simply, it was already there when the stargate showed up.

how long did it take for the Stargate to become operational?
                Anyone's guess, but as Tanith stated, two years if you go by the movie.

Haven't you been watching the show? See "Children of the Gods."

Comment

I meant to ask first how long did it take to build the huge underground complex at Cheyenne Mountain to accomodate the Stargate program?? I presume that the full stargate program was only operational when Cheyenne Mountain was fully able to accomodate it.

Comment

The Cheyenne Mountain Complex was formerly a high security missile silo dating back to the 1960s. The ceiling retracts, and above the gate is a shaft, remaining from the days as a missile silo, which leads to the surface. A crane mechanism within the shaft is able to hoist the gate up or down.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

The Cheyenne Mountain Complex was built in the 1960's. The SG-1 episode "1969" revealed that the part of the mountain that exists as the SGC had always been a part of the facility. In short, nothing new was constructed to represent the SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        The Cheyenne Mountain Complex was built in the 1960's. The SG-1 episode "1969" revealed that the part of the mountain that exists as the SGC had always been a part of the facility. In short, nothing new was constructed to represent the SGC.
                        It also looked remarkably similar in "Torment of Tantalus" though it's unclear whether that's meant to be the Cheyenne Mountain complex.

Comment

It can't have been the same room in 1945 (The Torment of Tantalus). The Cheyenne Mountain complex didn't exist yet--it started construction in 1961 (look it up, it's not a fictional base). We know that the room that became the gate room was there at least by 1969 (as we saw in 1969), but as for when it was re-purposed for the Stargate is anybody's guess.

I think Tanith might be on the right track though, judging from movie dialogue. The TV show retconned the movie to take place in 1996, and the scientists were working on the problem for two years prior to Jackson's recruitment, so that puts it at 1994. Possibly earlier, depending on how long it took to assemble the team to work on it.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

And Sam confirms it in the pilot:

CARTER
                            Colonel, I was studying the 'gate technology for two years before Daniel Jackson made it work and before you both went through.

ETA:

And again in Continuum:

MITCHELL
                            Stargate Command is a branch of the United States Air Force. Founded in 1990-something…

DANIEL
                            —Four…

MITCHELL
                            …I forget the exact year,for the purposes of exploration and the establishment of peaceful relations between new worlds.

Although I could have sworn it sounded like Mitchell said "nineteen ninety seven? Or something."
                            Last edited by fems; 14 November 2011, 12:03 PM.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

The SGC is a converted missile silo under NORAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X