Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is morally acceptable to kill an infant Goa'uld?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would take one home and put them in my cat.

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kidwizz View Post
      Also, Take Tanneth, they thought that he was good, but turned out to be just a plan old evil Goa'uld.
      The Tok'ra did not believe Tanith was willing to become a Tok'Ra because he had a revelation that the Goauld where bad. He was going to infiltrate their ranks to spy on them from the beginning. Egeria the first Tok'Ra queen spawned all the "modern" Tok'Ra. Why did she do that? Well maybe in that time the Sarcophagus was used only by the System Lords, being viewed as a luxury to the less ranked and powered Goauld. Maybe Egeria was a low ranked queen and was one of the only ones that did not possessed access to a sarcophagus, and was not influenced by it.
      sigpic
      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
        i would take one home and put them in my cat.
        As if cats weren't evil enough...

Comment

They arent. How can an animal that sleeps all after noon be evil?
          sigpic
          - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

You just think they're sleeping. They're using that time to plan their next attack.

http://www.catswhothrowupgrass.com/kill.php

Comment

From a sociological perspective, it's unlikely a race of entirely evil, selfish beings would survive. Just saying.

So we could extrapolate that it is in fact the Sarcophagus that made 'em this way. However show canon would suggest not.
              Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                From a sociological perspective, it's unlikely a race of entirely evil, selfish beings would survive. Just saying.

So we could extrapolate that it is in fact the Sarcophagus that made 'em this way. However show canon would suggest not.
                But terms like good and evil are relative. No one sees themselves as "evil," we view Nazis as the most morally repugnant group, but from their point of view they were the moral ones and it was us who were the evil. While we might see the Goa'uld as evil, in their eyes they'd probably see themselves as in the right and their actions necessary for their continued survival.

As for the topic, I it is perfectly moral to kill infant Goa'uld symbiotes, their a massive threat, driven by their genetic memory for a lust for power and control. Tanith was a young Goa'uld who had never had a host before but he was just like the rest of them. While Egaria spawned the Tok'ra that was several thousand years before, since then the thousands of years of conquest and quest for power has become etched into the Goa'uld consciousness and along with their abuse of devices like the sarcophagus have only been made worse.

Comment

the goauld should not be driven to extinction, but i think it's morally perfectly fine to kill goauld. in fact, it's morally unacceptable NOT to. those larva will enslave people, kill people, torture and murder, just because their genetic memory tells them to.

Comment

Originally posted by angela21 View Post
                    Also, if they were human babies who were born with evil genetic memories, I think Daniel would be the first one to try to help them.
                    I don't doubt it. However, it isn't in a human's biology to puncture another sentient being's neck, crawl inside their skull, interface with their nervous system, seize control of their body and condemn that being to a nightmarish life of hell and eventual insanity.

Bear in mind that this was early SG-1. At this point (both for the characters and the viewers), the Goa'uld were only known to be extremely evil - there had been no contact (that I can remember) with the Tok'ra, with Yu (a moderate and approachable Goa'uld in the grand scheme of things), or even Ba'al. There hadn't even been any mention as far as I know that the Sarcophagus had a big hand in producing the genocidal tyrannical tendencies of the snakeheads, and as for the effect on the Jaffa, they were still regarded as the threat, the enemy, there was no real hint of a Jaffa rebellion this early in the series, therefore anything that affected the numbers of Jaffa would likely have been perceived as a good thing.

Personally, I always viewed Egeria as an aberration, a freak mutation that produced a compassionate Goa'uld - it certainly seems out of the ordinary for the goa'uld as a species, who are extremely territorial, competitive and aggressive. From this perspective, and the lack of evidence for "Goa'uld gone good" cases, it's probably fair to say the chances of the larval goa'ulds maturing to become anything other than 'evil' were slim, at best.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                      Skydiver, ma'am.... we've been repeatedly told that the Goa'uld are "pure evil", and it's evidenced that even immature larval goa'uld are certainly malevolent.

Kill or be killed innit.

then how do you explain the tok'ra? Egeria was once a goa'uld, so if she was 'inherently evil' how come the tok'ra exist?

or how about Yu? It can certainly be argued that he acted with honor and dignity.

or Ba'al? his actions were often far from evil
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        the goauld should not be driven to extinction, but i think it's morally perfectly fine to kill goauld. in fact, it's morally unacceptable NOT to. those larva will enslave people, kill people, torture and murder, just because their genetic memory tells them to.
                        so, using your ideal that all goa'uld, even in infancy, when they're totally helpless, should be killed.

so, if egeria was cloned and reproduced, you'd murder all her tok'ra children?

you'd happily and willingly condemn all jaffa, being victims of the genetic manipulations of the goa'uld, to death?

you'd commit genocide of one race, and secondary genocide of another, based on the undone actions and 'maybe's' of a batch of children? children so helpless that they can't even defend themselves?
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

There is no way a bad Goa'uld would become pacifict and good even of they try to stay under the radar and do nothing, as with Baal on earth they still hunger for power and will kill in order to posses it. The bad about they, come from those genetic memories, as well as the memories the emotions and feeling are also pass along to the infants. What one liked the other will also, if one developed megalomaniac tendencies and hunger for power, the others would also.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          then how do you explain the tok'ra? Egeria was once a goa'uld, so if she was 'inherently evil' how come the tok'ra exist?

or how about Yu? It can certainly be argued that he acted with honor and dignity.

Every Goauld will kill if they have a chance and if it will prove advantageous to them, if not they will tag along, even helping you if it will help him later. He may be helping you but he is also preping to stab you in the next chance he gets. As for Baal? Far from evil? One way or another it would put people in danger some time or another. When he sad, whille on earth, that he wanted to be left alone he would do no harm, do you believe that? Imideatly before he bout a large corporation and where already a powerful man. And instaled a building-bomb in the center of the town, is that is not evil for you?
                          Last edited by Steelbox; 21 January 2010, 06:43 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I wonder what percent of total Goa'uld the Tok'ra, Yu, an Ba'al made up. 1%? 0.1%?

Comment

We never knew to total number of Goa'uld. But i think that their number are on the thousands. Those that have made an host maybe a cuple hundreds.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Some of Ba'al's actions may not be seen as evil, but his motives usually were, he was driven by a thirst for power and he may have done things that benefitted others but that was that was a side effect not his main aim.

Comment

Working...
                                X