This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Stargate

Does anyone ever think that maybe the Stargate series is reality? I mean come on. Obviously it would be insanely top secret! I'm not saying I do believe in it but it is just something to think about.
    Add to rep if you like the pic.

Originally posted by Inthenite42 View Post
    Does anyone ever think that maybe the Stargate series is reality? I mean come on. Obviously it would be insanely top secret! I'm not saying I do believe in it but it is just something to think about.
    Certainly not the series, lol. The possibility of a piece of technology like the Stargate? Not likely, given what little I know (and mostly what experts say) about wormholes and teleportation.

Maybe in the future, as I'd love to think this might become a reality (i.e. fast travel between planets), but not now.
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
      Certainly not the series, lol. The possibility of a piece of technology like the Stargate? Not likely, given what little I know (and mostly what experts say) about wormholes and teleportation.

Maybe in the future, as I'd love to think this might become a reality (i.e. fast travel between planets), but not now.
      i agree, especially because all people are concerned with is creating games about elves and orcs and television shows about dancing with celebrities instead of looking to go out into space.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        i agree, especially because all people are concerned with is creating games about elves and orcs and television shows about dancing with celebrities instead of looking to go out into space.
        Eh, venturing out in space would be more exciting if it wasn't so slow, so expensive, and dangerous. For a comparison, a standard F-304 can travel 35 million light years in the same time it'd take for us to reach Mars.

I gotta believe there's something out there smarter than us though.

Comment

Originally posted by dahok View Post
          Eh, venturing out in space would be more exciting if it wasn't so slow, so expensive, and dangerous. For a comparison, a standard F-304 can travel 35 million light years in the same time it'd take for us to reach Mars.

I gotta believe there's something out there smarter than us though.
          Well we gotta start somewhere Still, the problem of space travel time length is, indeed, a staggering one

I am inclined to agree with your second statement
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah why not. A Stargate is more believable than God and plenty of people believe in that!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              Yeah why not. A Stargate is more believable than God and plenty of people believe in that!
              Indeed

But IMO the Stargate couldnt really be real the news of it wouldve gotten out somtime. Not saying it wouldnt be really awesome it is just not really probable

Or maybe SG-1 is just cover like Wormhole Xtreme is in the series. Plus theres people out there that think we invaded Iraq to get control of a stargate!!
              O'Neill- "Whose your daddy!!"
              Sheppard- "Its the right thing to do Why? because it is!"
              Sam-"You blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water...Next up parting the red sea"
              Mckay-"Oh yes when its impossible you look to me"

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                The possibility of a piece of technology like the Stargate? Not likely, given what little I know (and mostly what experts say) about wormholes and teleportation.
                Didnt you know, Earth is flat, if you go beyond the edge, you will fall.

Scientists these days are too mainstream, if they have the guts to follow crazy ideas, they get ridiculed and cant get any funding.

Until one day, a simple guy (or woman) come along and achieve making an artificial wormhole stabilized at the two ends by superdense alloyed rings synchronized through subspace. Arrives the Nobel prize and humanity moves on to the next thing thats impossible to achieve.

Anythings possible.

Comment

No it is not real. It is nonsense. We know enough about how a wormhole would work to know that a stargate is down right stupid. A wormhole is a stretch of space between two points that is shorter than the stretch of space that is not part of the wormhole. If you could create a wormhole on demand it would be an empty spacial vacuum of a random length. The sudden appearance of a region of space on Earth would cause chaos. The wormhole would also not be attached to anything and would freely move relative to Earth. Everything would be able to travel both ways without any event horizon (which won't exist). The wormhole would likely close very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                    Didnt you know, Earth is flat, if you go beyond the edge, you will fall.

Scientists these days are too mainstream, if they have the guts to follow crazy ideas, they get ridiculed and cant get any funding.

Until one day, a simple guy (or woman) come along and achieve making an artificial wormhole stabilized at the two ends by superdense alloyed rings synchronized through subspace. Arrives the Nobel prize and humanity moves on to the next thing thats impossible to achieve.

Anythings possible.
                    The Earth is flat myth started in the 19th Century as a way of making fun of evolution. Funding is to be spent responsibly on worthy research not just handed out to any nut-job with a white coat. However it is always handy to have a few 'out there' people doing the alternative research as long as the public view them as the fringes of science and they don't take up too much money. This will not change the fact that some things have been shown to be effectively impossible.

There is a difference between what people assume is impossible due to a lack of imagination and what people know is impossible due to the laws of physics. The former has frequently been achieved, the latter will never be achieved. Stargates are impossible due to the laws of physics.

Comment

Actually it would be more accurate to say the stargate is impossible according to the law of physics as we understand them today.
                      In the future new laws, new loops holes or new discoveries may be made that make today laws irrelevent or to simple to explain how things really work out there in the universe and these new laws could allow for the possibility of the stargate.

The event horizon is what the gate creates to disassemble and reassemble and hold the object why this is happening. It is not the worm hole it self, which remains subspace and does not interact with our own universe or space, thus it would not cause any effect to the earth environment.
                      Last edited by knowles2; 21 July 2009, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Hod did I know one of you would show up?
                        Add to rep if you like the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          Actually it would be more accurate to say the stargate is impossible according to the law of physics as we understand them today.
                          In the future new laws, new loops holes or new discoveries may be made that make today laws irrelevent or to simple to explain how things really work out there in the universe and these new laws could allow for the possibility of the stargate.

The event horizon is what the gate creates to disassemble and reassemble and hold the object why this is happening. It is not the worm hole it self, which remains subspace and does not interact with our own universe or space, thus it would not cause any effect to the earth environment.
                          That's not how science works. The laws that have been proven are never replaced. They just are not applicable in some situations. The laws we have now are applicable for the universe. There is no real chance that a stargate will ever become possible.

Subspace is nonsense. The wormhole has an opening in space, as such it will affect the world around it. In Stargate the wormhole is so small that anything that wants to go through it must be 'broken down' into smaller pieces, sent through and 'reconstructed' at the other end. That is blatantly ridiculous. It would take a stupid amount of energy to achieve. Parts will easily get lost and the computational time needed to map each part and then place each part in its right place at the other end would take the lifetime of the universe.

Comment

As much as I would like the stargate to be real I seriously doubt it is. But I still say it could be possible. As someone else previously said on this post it wouldn't make sense due to science as we know it but if you went back in time 1000 years or so and showed people cars, televisions, computers, airplanes, jets, etc. they would have called it impossible and gone out of their minds. They would have thought it was witchcraft or something.
                            "If I find out your playing us I'm not going to wait for authorization. There isn't going to be any paperwork. I'm just going to kill you."

Comment

^^

IMO - today it would be impossible to keep it in secret
                              '- Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!
                              - Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth.
                              - Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?
                              - Yes.
                              [long pause] - Friend!!'

Comment

Working...
                              X