Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I said, I haven't read it but you have to understand it isn't just a mistake, somewhere in there is a rationalisation, a reason, and it was good enough to convince MGM the owners and creators of the show to roll with it.

edited - but I do appreciate it doesn't work for you for some reason, it happens, not every book is for every reader. So in the interest of not destroying this thread: pax. I'll butt out now and leave you guys to it.

Bests
    Steve
    Last edited by StevenSavile; 09 October 2009, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I find it more likely that this 'detail' just happened to slip past the quality-control process unnoticed. While I do agree that because people are paying money for these books, readers deserve to have books with high standards of quality, you must understand that these books are often 300+ pages and I can well imagine that sometimes it's just not possible to catch every mistake. I've seen upwards of half a dozen grammar/spelling errors in a single book, not to mention punctuation, and the odd inconsistency isn't too bad, really. But the way people tend to type these days, a lot of emails or posts on forums I see often contain half a dozen grammar or spelling or punctuation mistakes per sentence. Language is fluid, especially while you're still in the process of writing the book, and grammar and spelling is just the easiest of errors to spot. My point is only that it's not easy by a longshot to catch everything, nobody is perfect, and sometimes you just gotta let it slide in order to enjoy something fully.
      Last edited by Jersey13; 09 October 2009, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSavile View Post
        As I said, I haven't read it but you have to understand it isn't just a mistake, somewhere in there is a rationalisation, a reason, and it was good enough to convince MGM the owners and creators of the show to roll with it.

edited - but I do appreciate it doesn't work for you for some reason, it happens, not every book is for every reader. So in the interest of not destroying this thread: pax. I'll butt out now and leave you guys to it.

Bests
        Steve
        Steve, I understand what you are saying but there really isn't any rationalization at all. Check out other reviews on Amazon, just for example. I understand that you have faith in the author and in the approval system, but many people read this book and had exactly the same problem. I read the book and browsed back to see what the heck's going on with the two-way-street and nada, niente, zip! If you are so convinced of your theory, then read the book, please. If I'm mistaken, prove it to me and I'll gladly admit my mistake and correct my assumptions. Why? Because after this book, I'm wary of everything written by James Swallow. I want to be proven wrong!

Comment

Kat, try to chill out a bit, hon. It isn't Steve's fault you found an error in one of Mr. Swallow's books, nor is it his fault as a writer that errors occasionally get missed by the quality control process before publication. MGM are the folks who ultimately sign off on a book before it gets published, so it's really not any one person's fault when mistakes slip through now and then. By all means, express whatever opinions you want, but griping about the presense of a mistake in a book that's already been published won't make any difference, unfortunately. If you really want to make a difference, you might try writing a letter to MGM with suggestions about how they might improve their approval process. If it means anything, although I haven't read the book in question, I have read 1 or 2 of James' other books and they seemed pretty darn well written to me.

Comment

Because after this book, I'm wary of everything written by James Swallow. I want to be proven wrong!
            Actually, I think that after reading this thread (and I'm pretty sure James is a regular visitor to this forum) I doubt he would make that mistake ever again (and if it wasn't a mistake and there was a reason for it, he'll make sure that reason is made more clearly next time). You've made your point and we all understand what you are saying, let's move on now because I'd hate for anyone to get their feelings hurt over a mistake.

I've always enjoyed JS's other books, in fact his writings are amongst my favorites, this was the only one that didn't really interest me and I think it was more that Dr Keller played a fairly large role and she doesn't hold my interest. I notice inconsistencies in a lot of books/comics (not just in this fandom) and really, other then a 'well that's not right' thought, I just let my imagination smooth over the cracks. There's not a one of us that is perfect yet it is human nature to desire close to perfection from others, I could guarantee you that if your were to write a novel yourself there would be folks who would find fault/mistakes no matter how well you know the show or how well you were to write.

Now, the question I have to ask is this- Is there any new releases this month? I thought there was one due at the end of October, any word on if that will still come out on time or if it will be moved back again?
            Last edited by gottaluvit; 09 October 2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Question: Has anyone in this forum read Valhalla? On Amazon, it's rated one star only - two reviewers rated it one star and they were quite vocal in their dislike of the book I'm curious what people thought of it and if it's really that bad or if it just isn't to some people's tastes because it focuses strongly on Jonas.

@gottaluvit - nope, no releases this month. The schedule should be - the last time I checked - as follows:

Nov. 2009 - SGA 12 - Chris Wraight's "Dead End"
              Feb. 2010 - SGA 13 - David Niall Wilson and Patricia Macomber's "Brimstone"
              Apr. 2010 - SGA 14 - Aaron Rosenberg's "Hunt and Run"
              May 2010 - SG-1 15 - Steven Savile's "The Power Behind the Throne"
              June 2010 - SG-1 16 - Diana Botsford's "Four Dragons"
              July 2010 - SGA 15 - Jo Graham's "Death Game"

Plus an SGU book around there somewhere but I'm not a fan of the show so I didn't write it down, sorry.
              Last edited by katikatnik; 11 October 2009, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Well you still might as well have included it in the list since you took the time to write that sentence. A novelization of Air is due out in November too.

As for Valhalla, strongly disagree with those reviews. My own thoughts are in this thread somewhere I think.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                  Well you still might as well have included it in the list since you took the time to write that sentence. A novelization of Air is due out in November too.

As for Valhalla, strongly disagree with those reviews. My own thoughts are in this thread somewhere I think.
                  I didn't put this list together just for this forum. I copied it from my LJ. And since I don't like SGU nor am I interested in buying the book, why would I hunt down the release date? I just pointed out that yes, it was there somewhere, that's all I remembered about it off the top of my head. I wasn't paying attention to the book when I was making the list in the first place. And since the poster asked, I just quickly copied and pasted the list I made for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by katikatnik View Post
                    Question: Has anyone in this forum read Valhalla? On Amazon, it's rated one star only - two reviewers rated it one star and they were quite vocal in their dislike of the book I'm curious what people thought of it and if it's really that bad or if it just isn't to some people's tastes because it focuses strongly on Jonas.

@gottaluvit - nope, no releases this month. The schedule should be - the last time I checked - as follows:

Nov. 2009 - SGA 12 - Chris Wraight's "Dead End"
                    Feb. 2010 - SGA 13 - David Niall Wilson and Patricia Macomber's "Brimstone"
                    Apr. 2010 - SGA 14 - Aaron Rosenberg's "Hunt and Run"
                    May 2010 - SG-1 15 - Steven Savile's "The Power Behind the Throne"
                    June 2010 - SG-1 16 - Diana Botsford's "Four Dragons"
                    July 2010 - SGA 15 - Jo Graham's "Death Game"

Plus an SGU book around there somewhere but I'm not a fan of the show so I didn't write it down, sorry.

Thank you for that. I'm disappointed that we only get one more SGA novel before Christmas. When the release date list came out earlier this year it looked to be a very exciting year with plenty of books for SGA fans. I really hope the books listed for next year come out on time.

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
                      Thank you for that. I'm disappointed that we only get one more SGA novel before Christmas. When the release date list came out earlier this year it looked to be a very exciting year with plenty of books for SGA fans. I really hope the books listed for next year come out on time.
                      I hope so too. The books sound really interesting! I'm glad that we'll get more on Ronon and Teyla and their background!

Comment

Alright, I've finally tracked down a few of the Fandy books. I hate buying stuff online, and they've been very hard to find in Texas, but I picked up A Matter of Honor, City of the Gods, The Price of Honor, Relativity, and The Barque of Heaven yesterday. Excitement abounded. Also got the fifth McCay SG book, so now all I need is Reconnaissance.
                        "All I wanna do is see the universe and eat pie"
                        "Who doesn't?"

Comment

Heaven, I think is one of the best SG1 novels. You read through the other McCay novels then?
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Not yet. I'm working on the Terminator Salivation prequel that Zahn wrote, then I'm diving into those.
                            "All I wanna do is see the universe and eat pie"
                            "Who doesn't?"

Comment

The Power Behind the Throne cover (was Shadows) is up on my website now for anyone interested... it's another step closer.

Comment

Echoing m'colleague Steve, I'm pleased to announce that cover art and info on my next Stargate novel, an adaptation of Air, the three-part pilot episode of Stargate Universe, is now up on my Livejournal here.

Out Now:
                                Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
                                Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
                                "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
                                ---------------------------------------------------
                                Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X