This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Defcon View Post
    I assume the SGU related part of the answer is just a macro they add to every Stargate related mail, since while not everyone who likes SG1 or SGA novels will also like SGU novels there's a likelihood that at least a part of those people are interested in it, so they try to get the message out that there are SGU novels, too.

I understand that it's annoying when the actual answer is way shorter than the advertisement, but AFAIK Fandemonium is a small company and has to use any means at their disposal to reach an as big an audience as possible, I guess.
    I understand that complications with the approval process may occur - as I said, I work in a publishing company that specializes on scifi/fantasy/urban fantasy books, I know what it takes to get a licensing agreement from a company that refuses to communicate - but the whole "it's a small company" doesn't fly for me anymore. It's not an excuse for everything. Because it's a small company, they should be able to communicate better with their clients, they should nourish them. Because it's a small company, there should be a very short chain of command so that you should get an answer to your question right away/within days.

I remember seeing the publishing schedule for this year and going all "yay!" And in the end? We got what? Two SGA novels out of 5? 6? Only one SG-1 novel and one SGU novel - that wasn't even planned at the beginning of the year (according to their schedule). I told myself to be patient the first two-three times they postponed a book, but enough is enough. I'm annoyed that I just can't rely on anything they say/post anymore!

Their publishing schedule for next year looks great - but I'll eat my hat if they actually uphold it. I bet that within a month or two we will hear of yet another cancellation/postponing/whatever excuse. They aren't doing us a favor, we are paying customers and I would expect a better customer service. I'm sorry if that sounds uppity.

Comment

Originally posted by katikatnik View Post
      And wasn't that the point of Fandemonium? From fans, for fans?
      Yes. I wish they would go back to have former fanfiction writers for the books who know the characteres and can throw in so many little things. That was why I was recommending the books to all my friends and really enjoyed them. The Jack in "Valhalla" has no depth, he is only there for snarky comments. Looks not like a leader at all to me.

I always did enjoy most the books where a second layer was added, not only the action, but the relationships between the characteres, about the aftermath of something we saw on TV.

And why do we only get Sam's perspective all the time? The other books switch so that you can read from POV of all characteres. Made for a boring read.

You got two Atlantis novels this year, I only got one SG-book I was desperately waiting for and I am very disappointed with it. I guess I will stop pre-ordering and will wait for the first reviews from now on.
      Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
        Yes. I wish they would go back to have former fanfiction writers for the books who know the characteres and can throw in so many little things.
        Exactly! The latest books in the SGA series are the same. Flat characters in peril won't make the reader engaged. I miss the good old days when the authors actually took care to flesh out the characters. I mean, take SG-1's Sacrifice Moon: action, horror, mythology - but also friendship and bonding. I don't know, maybe it's just the "female touch", who knows. To me it feels like the SG books written by male authors are... sterile.

In a show/movie the whole "shoot 'em up" scenario might be enough with special effects and high-speed action and all - but in a book, I need to know what the characters think, what they feel, the author needs to show me, description is not enough! The characters aren't robots, if someone's threatening their best friend, they experience rage and fear, their heart's beating fast, their palms are sweaty because they know that they mustn't miss... They aren't just shooting at the enemy!

Comment

help! I haven't read any of the stargate novels yet, but having no season 6 of 'atlantis' to look forward to i've decided to make a start - can any of you good people point me in the direction of stories that feature the wraith.

amazon lists a novel called 'hunt and run' which shows ronon and todd on the cover - does this or any of the novels actually feature todd?

any help gratefully received!

Comment

Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall has both the Wraith and the
            Spoiler:
            Asgard
            in it!!!!

Comment

thanks - that's a good place for me to start then!

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                I've got to wonder though Atlantis Rocks, are you willing to wait for a good novel or demand one that seems to miss fundamental parts of Stargate science? TBH Air is brilliant, James has done a great job with it.
                They have removed Dead End from their schedule for the meantime. As I've said before, from the preview I had doubts about it - once again, I iterate that they had the wormhole being a physical tunnel they piloted the Jumper though...:/ Sounds like someone needs to watch the show. Now if James' oneway wormhole in Nightfall pissed folk off (still haven't gotten around to reading it) then I imagine Dead End woulda done worse.

They opted to give us a brilliantly written and interesting novel instead. Rock on Fandy. I understand that they're a tiny company doing lots of work. Like I said, their schedule for the next year and a half is full. Im more than willing to wait for good quality novels which Fandy do deliver (though few do slip through). I'd rather not rush them and receive crap. And I'm always willing to re-read prior awesome novels.

So you want to read rushed novels for the sake of it? Go elsewhere. I want some quality stuff that I'm willing to wait for. Show some consideration. Fandy is for the fans by the fans and they care about the quality of the stuff they're selling us. I, for once, appreciate it.

Evil: Valhalla's SG1 story is really interesting. I did love seeing Jonas back (I think he's great) but I don't think his story was as cool as SG1's.
                With all due respect I personally couldn't give a toss or a rats arse about how well written or good Air is or may be, the author may have done a blinding, job fair play but I personally HATE SGU with a passion, so it wouldnt make any difference to me how much better the books was or wasnt.

I don't want to read SG1 books either an I quite like SG1, I may at some point get round to it just like I might eventually buy any some SG1 box sets. NO I am a Atlantis fan first an foremost those are the books I want to read an those are the box sets I currently own.

Sorry not meaning to be rude but I also don't care if the company is a small, they could have the common courtesy to reply to a question about SGA an try and NOT shove SGU down everyone throats instead off.

But since last Feb starting with one of the proposed books then March /June for the others at least with Amazon anyway, the various SGA books were showing for pre order for sale in Aug, Sept, then Oct, then Nov then Feb 10, NOW god knows 4 book titles all moved back.

So I gave up with Amazon UK because of the dumb marketing an pre order thing an then started dealing direct in the vain hope for some accurate details an info and still NOTHING but YET again delays an put backs.

Fine the books may not be ready " blah blah" etc..... I can actually understand that, SO THEN DON'T GIVE ANY TIME FRAME if you actually don't know for sure what the hell is going on, don't get peoples hopes up.

But also don't play dumb when people do get upset when they also some how managed to get SG " bloody U done in stead, considering that the SGA book saga delay dates had been going on long before SGU even aired an I believe some SG1 as well, that's just plain not fair ".

THAT'S WHY I'M ANNOYED AN FRUSTRATED.

PS. They really should have a option to tick which shows you want to hear about, as it I have cancel the news letter solely because I don't want my email box taken up with SGU related news, that's why I don't go into SGU forums or news articles because I'm basically not interested.

I just fed up an angry simple as that, what a way to run a business, the way its going as much as I like SGA, I'll end up saying stuff it not bothering. Just wait for the books to show up on ebay or second hand books shops at some point in the far distant future. Because it seems to me all we are ever going to get is SGU or SG1 merchandise pushed first across the board an SGA as an after thought.
                Atlantis Rocks

sigpic SGA the right people in the right place

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis Rocks View Post
                  With all due respect I personally couldn't give a toss or a rats arse about how well written or good Air is or may be, the author may have done a blinding, job fair play but I personally HATE SGU with a passion, so it wouldnt make any difference to me how much better the books was or wasnt.

I don't want to read SG1 books either an I quite like SG1, I may at some point get round to it just like I might eventually buy any some SG1 box sets. NO I am a Atlantis fan first an foremost those are the books I want to read an those are the box sets I currently own.

Sorry not meaning to be rude but I also don't care if the company is a small, they could have the common courtesy to reply to a question about SGA an try and NOT shove SGU down everyone throats instead off.

But since last Feb starting with one of the proposed books then March /June for the others at least with Amazon anyway, the various SGA books were showing for pre order for sale in Aug, Sept, then Oct, then Nov then Feb 10, NOW god knows 4 book titles all moved back.

So I gave up with Amazon UK because of the dumb marketing an pre order thing an then started dealing direct in the vain hope for some accurate details an info and still NOTHING but YET again delays an put backs.

Fine the books may not be ready " blah blah" etc..... I can actually understand that, SO THEN DON'T GIVE ANY TIME FRAME if you actually don't know for sure what the hell is going on, don't get peoples hopes up.

But also don't play dumb when people do get upset when they also some how managed to get SG " bloody U done in stead, considering that the SGA book saga delay dates had been going on long before SGU even aired an I believe some SG1 as well, that's just plain not fair ".

THAT'S WHY I'M ANNOYED AN FRUSTRATED.

PS. They really should have a option to tick which shows you want to hear about, as it I have cancel the news letter solely because I don't want my email box taken up with SGU related news, that's why I don't go into SGU forums or news articles because I'm basically not interested.

I just fed up an angry simple as that, what a way to run a business, the way its going as much as I like SGA, I'll end up saying stuff it not bothering. Just wait for the books to show up on ebay or second hand books shops at some point in the far distant future. Because it seems to me all we are ever going to get is SGU or SG1 merchandise pushed first across the board an SGA as an after thought.
                  I agree!

The only thing i have to look forward to now that the movie/s are on hold is the novels. Seeing them continue to be shifted back, but SGU manages to get out quicker than light is so frustrating. I'm going to wait till the con im attending in January to see if the book stall there has any new SGA books. as looking on Amazon is just annoying, esp if your pre-ordering books that may not come out till im to old to read them.
                  sigpic
                  banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

BTW all retailers make up their own release dates so never trust them. And you Atlantis lovers have Legacy to look forward to. SG1 doesn't have that and SGU fans don't have any more novels yet so try and show some consideration if you don't mind.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I'm with EAG on this one - ok, so you don't like SGU. From what I've seen, that's a fairly minority opinion. I personally abso-freakin'-lutely love it so far. I apologize if Fandy offended you by not making up special promo emails for the SGU impaired. That being said, being the type of company they are, somebody should have found the time to actually get back to you about your question.

As far as Air coming out before more SGA books, my feeling is kind of, well, duh. Its both the start of a new line based on a show that's actually current (which from a business standpoint is much better), it was a novel based directly from a pilot script, so the approval process would have been much less arduous almost every step of the way. I just don't see why it should surprise people that Air was quick to arrive. I'm sure it was much the same way with Rising.
                      "All I wanna do is see the universe and eat pie"
                      "Who doesn't?"

Comment

Just finished Air and I loved it. Far stronger novelization than Rising and a better read but then again that's partly down to Air beinga better and stronger episode than Rising. James' handle on the characters was great. You wouldn't have thought he hadn't watched the show prior to writing as his Eli is simply amazing. I really want to see you do an "original" SGU novel, James. I think this could be the show you shine in.

Oh and green Dom.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I twas told by B&N(Barnes and Nobel) that they promised me it was going to be in store on Nov 25 as said by their website...now when I check their it now lists the book available in one to two weeks yet if you try the local stores website it lists the book as "OUT OF STOCK" How can it be out of stock if they never got it in to start with?
                          Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi40 View Post
                            I twas told by B&N(Barnes and Nobel) that they promised me it was going to be in store on Nov 25 as said by their website...now when I check their it now lists the book available in one to two weeks yet if you try the local stores website it lists the book as "OUT OF STOCK" How can it be out of stock if they never got it in to start with?
                            Its frustrating. The stores seem to have no idea and Stargate Novels don't respond to and emails about it. I googled the author hoping to find a way to contact him to ask if it really has been canceled or just postponed but couldn't find anything. I was hoping to buy an extra one of these for Christmas for my sister but am running out of time as it would have to be ordered overseas. Guess i'll have to find something else for her in place of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                              BTW all retailers make up their own release dates so never trust them. And you Atlantis lovers have Legacy to look forward to. SG1 doesn't have that and SGU fans don't have any more novels yet so try and show some consideration if you don't mind.
                              "... to look forward to" is the word here. And with Fandemonium, that means zip, unfortunately. Too bad that it came to the point where fans can't rely on the word of a company that's run by other fans. SG-1 fans have a whole trilogy by Steven Savile to look forward to. So it's not like the SG-1 fields are bare. And SGU fans have their own show that's currently on air.

This is not about which show's fans are more entitled to get their books. It's about the fact that after a whole year of barely anything but more and more cancellations and postponings, some fans are getting more than fed up with the publishing company's absolute inability to keep to their announced schedule. I understand that problems may occur - but not with 3/4 of their planned products.

ETA: Well, I wrote to Fandemonium too and asked about what's going on. Maybe if enough people prod them, they'll actually respond *sigh*
                              Last edited by katikatnik; 29 November 2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
                                Its frustrating. The stores seem to have no idea and Stargate Novels don't respond to and emails about it. I googled the author hoping to find a way to contact him to ask if it really has been canceled or just postponed but couldn't find anything. I was hoping to buy an extra one of these for Christmas for my sister but am running out of time as it would have to be ordered overseas. Guess i'll have to find something else for her in place of it.
                                Then why post anything until it is listed on the publishers site as being done? Why promise something in the first place when they don't deliver ..again.
                                Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

Working...
                                X