Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, see, I was looking forward to this book, but the cover just makes my non J/S-loving heart sink. Where's my team?!

I think I'll hold off buying until I get a reliable report on the Defcon Levels of Shippiness from the good folk who know about about these things. But ohhhh, airship pirates! and love-lorn Daniel! I'm so torn!

Caveat: My ship detectors are verrrry strong. Any hints, I'll find 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by jdjunkie View Post
      Now, see, I was looking forward to this book, but the cover just makes my non J/S-loving heart sink. Where's my team?!

I think I'll hold off buying until I get a reliable report on the Defcon Levels of Shippiness from the good folk who know about about these things. But ohhhh, airship pirates! and love-lorn Daniel! I'm so torn!

Caveat: My ship detectors are verrrry strong. Any hints, I'll find 'em.
      The cover seems to suggest S/J ship yet the summary on the back implies the heart's desire is mostly about Daniel, so I can understand your doubts. It's very odd, indeed.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        The cover seems to suggest S/J ship yet the summary on the back implies the heart's desire is mostly about Daniel, so I can understand your doubts. It's very odd, indeed.
        There is such a massive disconnect between what the blurb suggests and what the cover pic is implying. Odd, indeed.

Comment

Anyone still have the email from the publisher with the upcoming books and release dates?

Comment

I'd be fine with a book that didn't focus on Daniel. I'm not a shipper, but I'd rather that than Daniel overkill. So the pic would make me want to buy (it can't get but so shippy) and the synopsis might make me wait. At the very least.

I read the synopsis. it looks like a good division of story. Now if only I could believe the synopsis.
            Last edited by suse; 20 July 2012, 01:47 PM.
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Currently trying to read Do No Harm, but not feeling the book. It just seems off to me. The characters don't seem to be themselves, thought processes etc seem to have the same voice. They way it's written is also choppy and the book doesn't have the SG-1 feel. Any one have thoughts on this book? Is it just a slow start? Debating setting this one.
              Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
                Currently trying to read Do No Harm, but not feeling the book. It just seems off to me. The characters don't seem to be themselves, thought processes etc seem to have the same voice. They way it's written is also choppy and the book doesn't have the SG-1 feel. Any one have thoughts on this book? Is it just a slow start? Debating setting this one.

I actually liked the book, although a continuity error with Dixon annoyed me. If you are looking for action, there really isn't any in here. I also thought the book focused more on Frasier than SG-1 really.

Speaking of Heart's Desire I see amazon has the kindle edition for sale right now.

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                  I actually liked the book, although a continuity error with Dixon annoyed me. If you are looking for action, there really isn't any in here. I also thought the book focused more on Frasier than SG-1 really.

Speaking of Heart's Desire I see amazon has the kindle edition for sale right now.
                  Amazon seems to have the ebooks up before anyone else. Same thing happened with Oceans of Dust

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
                    Amazon seems to have the ebooks up before anyone else. Same thing happened with Oceans of Dust

That's true. I was hoping Barnes and nobles would have it, so I can get it for my nook. I don't like reading on my laptop so I won't buy it from amazon (unless they had the darn paperback). I also did not see it on stargatenovels.com, which I thought was strange.

And speaking of Heart's Desire, I am actually shocked that the book came out as scheduled, according to the article on gateworld back in May. At this rate we might have a book to read each month up to November (with the exception of October.)

Comment

That's true. I was hoping Barnes and nobles would have it, so I can get it for my nook. I don't like reading on my laptop so I won't buy it from amazon (unless they had the darn paperback). I also did not see it on stargatenovels.com, which I thought was strange.
                      Fandemonium's website doesn't sell the ebooks directly, but Crossroad Press (who actually handles making the ebooks) has them for sale at the same time as Amazon. If you purchase the ePub version from them, that will work on your Nook.
                      Benford's Corollary to Clarke's Law:
                      "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."

Comment

Originally posted by ATimson View Post
                        Fandemonium's website doesn't sell the ebooks directly, but Crossroad Press (who actually handles making the ebooks) has them for sale at the same time as Amazon. If you purchase the ePub version from them, that will work on your Nook.
                        Lately I'm finding that even with the print books, stargatenovels.com has been late in posting when it's for sale and which books are available. I've seen amazon and chapters selling the print books and ebooks long before they're even mentioned to be available on the publisher site. Even with Crossroad press being the distributor of the ebooks, the publishers site should at least have a link up.

Comment

Yeah Barnes and Nobles has it now. I was waiting for them to get it so I could use my giftcard. Anybody read it yet? Thoughts?

Comment

Yeah Barnes and Nobles has it now. I was waiting for them to get it so I could use my giftcard. Anybody read it yet? Thoughts?
                            Haven't read it yet, but bought it from Amazon. Still trying to get through Do No Harm, then the Furies is next on my list. I'll be interested in seeing if this one is worth bumping up the TBR list.

Comment

Read Heart's Desire. Disappointed. It was nothing like some of the past SG-1 novels. There was really nothing exciting at all about it. It reminded of one of those one off episodes that SG-1 would have that really had nothing to do with the Goa'uld, just maybe a mere passing mention of them and then the rest of the episode was just painfully boring. As I was reading I just kept waiting for something to happen. It took me 3 weeks to get through this book, which would normally take me a day to read. Just very boring and un SG-1 like. I wish they would not publish books like this and instead insist the author go back to the drawing board. Sorry don't mean to offend just how I feel about the book.

Comment

I also finished "Heart's Desire." I agree that it was quite slow moving and I was waiting for more action scenes. But still there was a lot of nice character work that I did enjoy. I felt that all of the characters were utilized in the story (unlike "Valhalla" were the entire book was from the point of views of Sam and Jonas) and I did enjoy the two original characters. That being said, I still agree with gatechick that the entire book wasn't very difficult to get through.

Edit: And to those non-shippers worried about Jack and Sam being pictured on the cover, don't worry about it. There was very little "ship" in it and nothing beyond what would be found in a regular SG-1 episode.
                                sigpic
                                The Return of King Arthur
                                Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                                acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Working...
                                X