X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artie View Post
    It was great fun!

And if you're into Sam and a shipper, you'll like the new SGA novel coming out -- Sam heavy, and right up your alley: http://jo-graham.livejournal.com/181711.html
    Whoot! So excited!
    sigpic
    The Return of King Arthur
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Thank you so much for your recommendations,guys! I think I will pick up A Matter of Honor and The Cost of Honor first. Firstly, because they are based on one of my favorite episodes. Secondly,I heard something about their author having started as a fanfiction writer (is it true?).That's always a plus in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
        Thank you so much for your recommendations,guys! I think I will pick up A Matter of Honor and The Cost of Honor first. Firstly, because they are based on one of my favorite episodes. Secondly,I heard something about their author having started as a fanfiction writer (is it true?).That's always a plus in my book.
        Yep, Sally Malcolm is also Sally Reeve, a fanfiction writer who wrote a lot of Sam/Jack fanfic before she wrote for Fandemonium.

You can find some of her fics at this link: http://sgnovels.shahrazad.net/archive1/authorrs.html
        Since the direct links from geocities are no longer active, you have to download either a text or zip file.
        Last edited by SamJackShipper93; 05 June 2012, 07:16 AM.
        sigpic
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
          Yep, Sally Malcolm is also Sally Reeve, a fanfiction writer who wrote a lot of Sam/Jack fanfic before she wrote for Fandemonium.

You can find some of her fics at this link: http://sgnovels.shahrazad.net/archive1/authorrs.html
          Since the direct links from geocities are no longer active, you have to download either a text or zip file.
          Thank you very much! Now I have plenty of reading material for my vacation. It's kind of cool when you get into a fandom with such a long and rich history; there's so much good fic around that I feel like I'm never going to run out of stories to read.

Comment

Could you please share which books those are in particular? I haven't read a single Stargate novel, and I know I won't be able to read them all, so I want to choose wisely. Also, which books focus on Sam more? She's the character I'm primarily interested in SG-1.
            Not to forget The Barque of Heaven by Suzanne wood which is a phenomenal book. All the books focus on the team primarily. This book does have some great Sam moments though.

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
              Not to forget The Barque of Heaven by Suzanne wood which is a phenomenal book. All the books focus on the team primarily. This book does have some great Sam moments though.
              I enjoyed that book, but found myself feeling like there were a few too many "tests" for the team to get through. It might have been better with one or two less.

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                A good example of how different people are in their opinions. In my very humble opinion, this book was very slow, and I felt that despite saying that Daniel is her favorite character, Ms. Wood constantly portrayed Daniel as the weak and feeble civilian the bad guys were always picking on (definitely a Danny-whumping book). The other team members were constantly having to help Daniel along and pick up his slack and were constantly doting on him. To me, at times the book felt more like a Daniel-central fanfiction than published work.

Again, not diminishing anyone who did enjoy the book; it simply wasn't my cuppa tea.
                Last edited by SamJackShipper93; 06 June 2012, 05:48 AM. Reason: Grammer mistakes
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                  A good example of how different people are in their opinions. In my very humble opinion, this book was very slow, and I felt that despite saying that Daniel is her favorite character, Ms. Wood constantly portrayed Daniel as the weak and feeble civilian the bad guys were always picking on (definitely a Danny-whumping book). The other team members were constantly having to help Daniel along and pick up his slack and were constantly doting on him. To me, at times the book felt more like a Daniel-central fanfiction than published work.

Again, not diminishing anyone who did enjoy the book; it simply wasn't my cuppa tea.
                  In this and other books, authors continually portray Daniel as (and refer to him as) the "young man" or "the boy", when in fact, at the time of the Stargate Movie, he was 30 years old, which makes him in nearly 40 at the time this book takes place in Season 7. Michael Shanks is younger than the character he portrays, and I think many writers took that to heart and keep referring to the character as very young or as a boy.

In the episode "1969", Daniel specifically says he was 4-1/2 years old in 1969, which means he was born in 1964. Being in one's 30's isn't old, but it certainly isn't someone who is a "young man" or a "boy". I find it highly irritating to read stories that continue to portray Daniel as such an innocent young man or a boy.
                  Last edited by hedwig; 08 June 2012, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    In this and other books, authors continually portray Daniel as (and refer to him as) the "young man" or "the boy", when in fact, at the time of the Stargate Movie, he was 30 years old, which makes him early 30's at the time this book takes place. Michael Shanks is younger than the character he portrays, and I think many writers took that to heart and keep referring to the character as very young or as a boy.

In the episode "1969", Daniel specifically says he was 4-1/2 years old in 1969, which means he was born in 1964. Being in one's 30's isn't old, but it certainly isn't someone who is a "young man" or a "boy". I find it highly irritating to read stories that continue to portray Daniel as such an innocent young man or a boy.
                    Especially as that makes him older than Sam, who was born in either 1968 or 1965...
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I enjoyed that book, but found myself feeling like there were a few too many "tests" for the team to get through. It might have been better with one or two less.
                      I actually enjoyed them all. I thought it really built the team up. If you had to get rid of one, probably the one where they played the war game, It didn't really add to the book,, just some nice Daniel moments. The only thing I disliked was the Ra part at the end. I thought it moved out of the sci fi realm into supernatural.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        Especially as that makes him older than Sam, who was born in either 1968 or 1965...
                        This is probably off-topic for thos thread... but could you please elaborate on that?As a Stargate newbie,I don'tknow as muchabout the characters as you guys, and I don't remember Sam's particular age ever being mentioned on the show. Why 1968 and 1965 specifically? And which is closer to the truth?

Comment

This is probably off-topic for thos thread... but could you please elaborate on that?As a Stargate newbie,I don'tknow as muchabout the characters as you guys, and I don't remember Sam's particular age ever being mentioned on the show. Why 1968 and 1965 specifically? And which is closer to the truth?
                          the year 1968 is shown on Sam's ID in the episode "Entity" as her birth year. Some people feel that is inappropriate given how much she accomplished in her life prior to joining the SGC. So they've chosen to move her birth year to 1965 for the purposes of fanfiction and their own view of Sam's history.

There is also some argument as to whether her birth month is December (as is also shown on the ID card in "Entity) or whether it is in May. The reason for this is shown in the episode "Ascension", which I won't spoil for you if you haven't seen it.

The birth year and month are what is known as "canon" (or "fact"), since both were shown onscreen during a couple of episodes. Anything else is just speculation.

Comment

Sam went to the Academy and claimed to have clocked over a hundred hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War. I doubt she would have lied about something that would be on her record, so she had to have cut it pretty close to go through the Academy, flight school and get those hours during the Gulf War if she was from 1968. That, plus her PhD, a year studying nanotechnology at the Pentagon and working with Dr Harlow in the field of genetics (unknown for how long), and working on the Stargate for two years prior to the first mission to Abydos all makes 1965 more likely according to fanon.

Personally, I just go with super genius from 1968 who hardly ever sleeps!
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

the year 1968 is shown on Sam's ID in the episode "Entity" as her birth year. Some people feel that is inappropriate given how much she accomplished in her life prior to joining the SGC. So they've chosen to move her birth year to 1965 for the purposes of fanfiction and their own view of Sam's history.

There is also some argument as to whether her birth month is December (as is also shown on the ID card in "Entity) or whether it is in May. The reason for this is shown in the episode "Ascension", which I won't spoil for you if you haven't seen it.

The birth year and month are what is known as "canon" (or "fact"), since both were shown onscreen during a couple of episodes. Anything else is just speculation.
                              Sam could have been born in 1968 and gone to the Academy and been in Operation Instant Thunder if she were born in May but not if she were born in December. I'm Sam's age, born in April 68, and I had a good friend born in Dec 67 who applied to the Air Force Academy. Even though she was one year ahead of me in school and was high school class of 85, she could not attend the Academy starting in the class of 89, because since it was considered active duty military, you had to be 18 by the first day of school and my friend would have still been seventeen. She had to go starting in the class of 90 instead. So if Sam were born in May 68 she could have started the Academy in August 86, and then graduated straight into the build up for the Gulf War. Operation Instant Thunder would have been her first assignment, a good one to be sure, but if she stood high in her class ranking it would be very plausible.

So I go with May 68 myself, as Dec 68 would screw up her academic record and her service record. If she was born in Dec 68 she wouldn't graduate until Class of 91, and she'd miss the Gulf War!
                              Last edited by Artie; 09 June 2012, 06:05 AM.
                              sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                                Sam could have been born in 1968 and gone to the Academy and been in Operation Instant Thunder if she were born in May but not if she were born in December. I'm Sam's age, born in April 68, and I had a good friend born in Dec 67 who applied to the Air Force Academy. Even though she was one year ahead of me in school and was high school class of 85, she could not attend the Academy starting in 89, because since it was considered active duty military, you had to be 18 by the first day of school and my friend would have still been seventeen. She had to go starting in 90 instead. So if Sam were born in May 68 she could have started the Academy in August 86, and then graduated straight into the build up for the Gulf War. Operation Instant Thunder would have been her first assignment, a good one to be sure, but if she stood high in her class ranking it would be very plausible.

So I go with May 68 myself, as Dec 68 would screw up her academic record and her service record. If she was born in Dec 68 she wouldn't graduate until Class of 91, and she'd miss the Gulf War!
                                This explanation makes more sense to me than any of the other notions I've read about her birthdate.

Comment

Working...
                                X