Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I ordered them from Amazon anyway rather than wait to see when Fandy has them on their site. Seems they are both in stock, the order has been processed, my visa card debited and the books marked as shipped so I'm assuming it wasn't a mistake and they really are released.

I'm a little surprised that Fandy is so slow in advertising these two books for sale.

Edit- And now Fandy has updated their site.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
      I just like my novels to be decent. I'd rather have a long awaited amazing novel than rubbish and well...since Dead End has them actually piloting the Jumper through the wormhole...made me wonder if the guy had read the series and I instantly wrote it off which is unlike me. I know I'll end up buying it though and I'll probably hate it.

I'd prefer Hunt and Run. And Legacy, I can't wait for that!

Well considering this novel has been subject to many edits and lengthy delays, perhaps the mistake you have issue with has been corrected.

Comment

I just like my novels to be decent. I'd rather have a long awaited amazing novel than rubbish and well...since Dead End has them actually piloting the Jumper through the wormhole...made me wonder if the guy had read the series and I instantly wrote it off which is unlike me. I know I'll end up buying it though and I'll probably hate it.

I'd prefer Hunt and Run. And Legacy, I can't wait for that!
        I like my novels to be decent as well, which is one of reasons why I have serious misgivings about Legacy. Just looking at the new release schedule, it's obvious that those books are being rushed through to pick up money from Atlantis fans before interest wanes. And that's in spite of the fact that a competing post-series wrap-up story has already been written and approved by the producers. All in all, it doesn't make for a quality product.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          I like my novels to be decent as well, which is one of reasons why I have serious misgivings about Legacy. Just looking at the new release schedule, it's obvious that those books are being rushed through to pick up money from Atlantis fans before interest wanes. And that's in spite of the fact that a competing post-series wrap-up story has already been written and approved by the producers. All in all, it doesn't make for a quality product.
          I have to disagree. From what I've been reading in Jo Graham's LJ, they have the stories well thought through and they just write that fast. She writes all her books that fast and her latest original novel received some raving reviews. And the fact that she got her books back from MGM with hardly any edits - unlike some others - speaks for itself, I guess. And since it looks like the comic books - SG-1 S11 and SGA S6 - are moving at snail pace... I think I'll stick with Legacy.

Comment

I have no misgivings about Legacy. I've been reading one of the co-authors published and fan works for a couple of years no and from her fan works I know that she has a good grasp of characterization for my favorite characters and I have little doubt that the stories will be well written and character driven and probably better than most of the books already published in the Stargate series (especially seeing as we've been treated to snippets of the first book in the series for some time now as the author posts small extracts on her blog every now and then).

It doesn't matter to me what was written by the producers if it's never going to see light of day, and if by some miracle it does then the Legacy series will just become an 'AU' version of the story and the movie version will be the canon (as the author explained) and I'm content with that.

Comment

Originally posted by katikatnik View Post
              I have to disagree. From what I've been reading in Jo Graham's LJ, they have the stories well thought through and they just write that fast. She writes all her books that fast and her latest original novel received some raving reviews. And the fact that she got her books back from MGM with hardly any edits - unlike some others - speaks for themselves, I guess. And since it looks like the comic books - SG-1 S11 and SGA S6 - are moving at snail pace... I think I'll stick with Legacy.
              I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. I was disappointed with the canon errors and clichés in Graham's short story from the magazine earlier this year, and I'm rather skeptical about some of the non-canonical ideas for Legacy that she's been discussing.
              Spoiler:
              And don't even get me started about her recent comments on a subplot involving Weir that looks like just another retread of the 'we're going dangle her in front of your face, then take her away at the end so you don't get to keep her'. We've already seen that kind of story three times in Lifeline, This Mortal Coil and Ghost in the Machine. If they're going to bring in Weir, they need to do something different, not more of the same old, same old.
              I was hoping for something that would break the mold, but what I've seen so far has not convinced me.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hmm, you got something entirely different than I did from her recent comments about that character then. I felt we were in for a flashback/memory scene or something similar.

I guess no writer can make every fan happy, not even the shows writers could do that and I've read my share of SGA novels that didn't cut it for me. I'm looking forward to it though, and I'm also really looking forward to her first SG1 novel. Of course there's no way that these books will be released on the dates given so I'm expecting the first around December or early next year.

I didn't read the story to which you refer, but if you felt there were canon errors then why not drop Joe a line and point them out? Knowledge of such things can only improve her writing. As for cliche's, I think the series itself was full of them (and the odd canon error/plothole if we're to be honest) lol. I love certain cliches and loath others.
                Last edited by gottaluvit; 16 June 2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
                  Well considering this novel has been subject to many edits and lengthy delays, perhaps the mistake you have issue with has been corrected.
                  I certainly hope so. I've ordered them both. Definitely looking forward to Hunt and Run though.

I hadn't realized Graham had been doing that much updating regarding the series. *heads off to her LJ*
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Hmm, you got something entirely different than I did from her recent comments about that character then. I felt we were in for a flashback/memory scene or something similar.
                    Hmm, indeed. From the way she phrased it, the impression I got was that it would be a real-time encounter of some kind, another clone/duplicate or disembodied spirit kind of thing. A flashback/memory would be different, that's for sure, though it'll inevitably beg the question of why we never saw that event on the show to begin with. I recall Joe Mallozzi mentioning an episode idea quite a while back (either for Season 5 or the Season 6 that might have been) that would involve multiple flashbacks to an event that took place during Season 1. The idea was eventually scrapped when that same question of 'why aren't we learning about that event until now?' was pointed out (I think by Paul Mullie). *shrugs*

I guess no writer can make every fan happy, not even the shows writers could do that and I've read my share of SGA novels that didn't cut it for me. I'm looking forward to it though, and I'm also really looking forward to her first SG1 novel. Of course there's no way that these books will be released on the dates given so I'm expecting the first around December or early next year.

I didn't read the story to which you refer, but if you felt there were canon errors then why not drop Joe a line and point them out? Knowledge of such things can only improve her writing. As for cliche's, I think the series itself was full of them (and the odd canon error/plothole if we're to be honest) lol. I love certain cliches and loath others.
                    Considering that all those problems involved changes that Graham made to Teyla, who was the central character of that story, and some of the things I object to in Legacy involve more additions/alterations to Teyla and to the Athosians that have no basis in show canon, I doubt she'll be interested in hearing what I have to say.

Comment

Hmm, indeed. From the way she phrased it, the impression I got was that it would be a real-time encounter of some kind, another clone/duplicate or disembodied spirit kind of thing. A flashback/memory would be different, that's for sure, though it'll inevitably beg the question of why we never saw that event on the show to begin with. I recall Joe Mallozzi mentioning an episode idea quite a while back (either for Season 5 or the Season 6 that might have been) that would involve multiple flashbacks to an event that took place during Season 1. The idea was eventually scrapped when that same question of 'why aren't we learning about that event until now?' was pointed out (I think by Paul Mullie). *shrugs*

Considering that all those problems involved changes that Graham made to Teyla, who was the central character of that story, and some of the things I object to in Legacy involve more additions/alterations to Teyla and to the Athosians that have no basis in show canon, I doubt she'll be interested in hearing what I have to say.
                      I just reread what Jo said in reguards to that character and after rereading her response to a question I feel your right and I am incorrect in my flashback assumption. Perhaps we'll see the character as they appeared when they left the series? Jo does indicate that the character is going to be really interaction and not an hallucination or dream and that they have tried to open the door to bring the character back in their original form, so I'm hopeful.

I really like her version of Teyla but have not read the fiction you are referring to so can't comment on it. I do think, however, that she would be interested in any comments that fans have to say about the way she writes the characters, I don't believe she is so closed minded that she would dismiss any discussion you initiate over the subject just because you disagree with her, even if she doesn't agree I'm sure she will listen and consider your thoughts on the subject.

Comment

I just reread what Jo said in reguards to that character and after rereading her response to a question I feel your right and I am incorrect in my flashback assumption. Perhaps we'll see the character as they appeared when they left the series? Jo does indicate that the character is going to be really interaction and not an hallucination or dream and that they have tried to open the door to bring the character back in their original form, so I'm hopeful.
                        I guess we'll have to see how it all shakes out. *shrugs*

I really like her version of Teyla but have not read the fiction you are referring to so can't comment on it. I do think, however, that she would be interested in any comments that fans have to say about the way she writes the characters, I don't believe she is so closed minded that she would dismiss any discussion you initiate over the subject just because you disagree with her, even if she doesn't agree I'm sure she will listen and consider your thoughts on the subject.
                        I've offered comments in the past that have been either ignored or brushed aside without really answering the question (and they could have been adequately answered without giving any spoilers away). I think that speaks for itself.

Comment

I guess we'll have to see how it all shakes out. *shrugs*

I've offered comments in the past that have been either ignored or brushed aside without really answering the question (and they could have been adequately answered without giving any spoilers away). I think that speaks for itself.
                          Oh well, at least you tried. I guess everyone has a slightly different veiw of characters and backstory etc and the way we think about them is influenced by our own personal thoughts, experiences and opinions. The way I would portray certain characters would be different from Jo or you and the way you would do so would be different from me etc, unfortunately neither of us got the contract to write the story so Jo's version is all we will get to read.

Do you think Fandy will be contracting other writers for other SGA books? I have the feeling that the Legacy series is all we will get for awhile. There doesn't seem to have been any talk about any other SGA books that we haven't already been informed of and the Legacy series is going to take 18 mths to two years to finish. I was hoing we'd still get the occasional novel set during the TV series as well.

Comment

Considering how long we'll probably be waiting for the current books, I think we'll be catered for for a while now.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Considering how long we'll probably be waiting for the current books, I think we'll be catered for for a while now.
                              Lol. Very true! I wonder when Brimstone will make an appearance?

Comment

Oh well, at least you tried. I guess everyone has a slightly different veiw of characters and backstory etc and the way we think about them is influenced by our own personal thoughts, experiences and opinions. The way I would portray certain characters would be different from Jo or you and the way you would do so would be different from me etc, unfortunately neither of us got the contract to write the story so Jo's version is all we will get to read.
                                Until Dynamite Comics puts out that Season 6 series they were talking about last year. And who knows what Big Finish might be plotting to make up for the third series of audio dramas being all-SG-1 and no Atlantis...

Do you think Fandy will be contracting other writers for other SGA books? I have the feeling that the Legacy series is all we will get for awhile. There doesn't seem to have been any talk about any other SGA books that we haven't already been informed of and the Legacy series is going to take 18 mths to two years to finish. I was hoing we'd still get the occasional novel set during the TV series as well.
                                I hope so. Frankly, I'd rather see more stories set during the series.

*snickers*

Comment

Working...
                                X