Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hathor is my favorite alien antagonist. (The term "bad guy" is so cliche. ;>))

And Harry is my favorite human antagonist. Or at least the only one who doesn't make me feel like throwing something at the screen whenever they're on it. Unless of course that's the point, in which case Kinsey by far excels over all others.
    ** Dax

Slowly but surely
    regaining my post count.

Dax(ie)Parrot the Very Bored Wierdie Nitty Bluie Alien Purple THUNK Fan

Comment

Originally posted by daxterdd
      The term "bad guy" is so cliche. ;>)
      Yes but antagonist is *so* much longer and harder to spell. And "bad person" just sounds stupid IMO.

And Harry is my favorite human antagonist.
      Harry's not a "bad guy" he's just misunderstood

Or at least the only one who doesn't make me feel like throwing something at the screen whenever they're on it.
      IMO that's the mark of a wonderful antagonist they make you want to do damage to something or someone.

Which is why my vote always goes for Kinsey, because if there's one thing I'd like to do to him it damage

Of course I hear Ronny Cox is a really great guy.
      ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
      The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
        Of course I hear Ronny Cox is a really great guy.
        Yes and he's a wonderful singer too.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Yes but antagonist is *so* much longer and harder to spell. And "bad person" just sounds stupid IMO.
          and evil-doer is SO last year.

lessee... fave non dead alien baddie: Baal. Nasty, nasty, and easy on the eyes.

I'm in the Harry's not bad, he's just a bit misguided camp. Hope we see him again. The baddie I'd really like to see is Kinsey with a snake in his head.

Comment

Harry's not a "bad guy" he's just misunderstood
            See, thats why I was going for "antagonist" cause Harry is often an antagonist, but he's definately not a bad guy (IMO at least)

It is much harder to spell though, and heaven knows I have enough of a time with that as it is.
            Last edited by daxterdd; 03 May 2004, 09:01 PM.
            ** Dax

Slowly but surely
            regaining my post count.

Dax(ie)Parrot the Very Bored Wierdie Nitty Bluie Alien Purple THUNK Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
              So, who's your favourite baddie? Are they easily identifiable by their British accent, or does it go deeper than that?
              I have to say, I find most of the Goa'uld villains disappointing, since they are so much less interesting than their mythical antecedents. Seth was the granddaddy of bad and he ended up a two-bit cult-hustler. Sekhmet was the single most terrifying and destructive force in the cosmos and she lasted a whopping thirty minutes of 'bwahaha! see my evilness!'

IMHO, the Goa'uld need more range, more variety. Variant technologies, divergent methodology. And they need some serious successes. There has to be an element of menace and that means they have to be proven dangerous; that's why, so far, only Apophis, Hathor, Sokar, Nirrti and Osiris have any place in my regard; because they've really managed to hurt our favourite interstellar explorers. And Hathor is kinda disqualified for being a prancing lightweight of a deity. Apophis and Osiris both took people the team really cared about, Nirrti almost killed Cassie and destroyed Dr Fraiser and Sokar actually managed to beat SG-1.

Admittedly, Anubis beat SG-1 in Full Circle, but SG-1 were being so crass I don't count it. Generally speaking, he just wasn't scary with his billowy cloak. Even with the brainspike and his funked-up motherships he didn't really get the better of Thor. He just kept building bigger ships.

See; it's all a bit Emperor Palpatine, if I may cross fandoms for a second. What I feel is needed in SG-1 is a Grand Admiral Thrawn figure; a real brain who eschews compensatory superweapons in favour of strategy.

That's why I liked renegade Harry Maybourne as a villain. He actually seemed to be smart and competent. Unfortunately, he also became less villainous. Kinsey is admirably hissable, but too emotional and stupid. He keeps shooting himself in the foot by acting all pantomime villain. In The Lost City I'm not sure who was the more OTT: Anubis or Kinsey.

But anyway, to the question...Apophis probably clinches the top spot for Goa'uld because he managed to beat SG-1 often enough to be scary, then had the good grace to go and die when he was done. If he came back again he'd have lost his credibility.

Maybourne gets the prize for best human villain for the brief period between his arrest and his conversion to morally ambivalent righteousishness.

And in the 'other' category, the humanoid Replicators get a special mention for having evolved humanity and then rejected it; a nice twist which takes them beyond being a slightly menacing force of nature to true villaindom.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

keffler counts as my fav earth-based baddie... although kinsey is close. he's too unrealistic. how cud sum1 behave so obviously corrupted for so long and go unnoticed.

as for alien bad guys.. id say first, the evolved replicator.. ok the accent is stereotypical but the guy had something sinister about him, it just workednicely. the goa'uld are too similar, except ba'al.. he's the exception to the rule. i for one am glad he's the major player in the galaxy now that anubis is gone. we get to see jack get revenge for abyss.. hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi
                  keffler counts as my fav earth-based baddie... although kinsey is close. he's too unrealistic. how cud sum1 behave so obviously corrupted for so long and go unnoticed.
                  look at the current U.S. president and administration, pretty realistic to me

Comment

as for alien bad guys.. id say first, the evolved replicator.. ok the accent is stereotypical but the guy had something sinister about him, it just workednicely. the goa'uld are too similar, except ba'al.. he's the exception to the rule. i for one am glad he's the major player in the galaxy now that anubis is gone. we get to see jack get revenge for abyss.. hehe
                    Actually; I'd really like to see the SGC have to negotiate with Ba'al at some point. It would be interesting to see Jack having to deal with his torturer around the table instead of over a P90.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                      look at the current U.S. president and administration, pretty realistic to me
                      i gave up payin attention to the current US administration. i prefer watching saturday morning cartoons..about the same level of intelectual ability there i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                        ...Hathor is kinda disqualified...
                        I understand your beta reader just tried to gouge out her own eyes... but then she read the comment about the Humanoid replicators and instead thinks you're fab for putting your finger right on their menacing quality.

I agree: the only villans/bad guys/doers of evil who really work are the ones who win. Apophis came back just enough times for me (although to be honest - given the goa'uldy competition he's not up against - I'd welcome him for one last fling) he was so completely sure of his own power. I think Alastair Campbell must have been his spin doctor... he had begun to believe his own hype.

I love to shout at Kinsey,but he is somewhat of a cliché joke. Harry got all cute and fluffy and clanger-like, so he no longer counts. But up to and including Chain Reaction he was fab. Even Paradise Lost was pretty good, a pity he didn't pull one last non-rucola-induced trick.
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I think that Apophis and Anubis had some great evilness in them. Shame they both got destroyed over and over. Aphophis was killed about two times I think and Anubis figured out how to ascend forced to descend, come back to life and got destroyed in Lost City. My favourite was Anubis which is stating the obvious

Earth based. I guess Maybourne turned out to be ok after all. Kinsey is a sneakly sly. He is probably the most evil. Hope to see more of him in season eight
                          __

__

Comment

i gave up payin attention to the current US administration. i prefer watching saturday morning cartoons..about the same level of intelectual ability there i think.
                            Don't you think thats a bit insulting to saturday morinnig cartoons?

Anyway Ba'al is the best alien baddie, he doesn't go for the "I'll reveal my plan then kill you in some elaborate way thats a three-year old could get out off" routine, rather he just tortures the sh*t out of you.

Kinsey has to be the best earth based baddie, since we've decide Mayboures just misunderstood he's properly the *only* major earth based villian.
                            sigpic
                            Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                              Harry got all cute and fluffy and clanger-like, so he no longer counts. But up to and including Chain Reaction he was fab. Even Paradise Lost was pretty good, a pity he didn't pull one last non-rucola-induced trick.
                              Well, as I may have said before, I hope to see him back as an agent of the Tok'ra with an agenda. I know Jack suggested the Tok'ra could zip him off somewhere quiet, but I don't see them passing up the opportunity to make use of such a skilled intelligence operative. Jack may not get on with them, but I think Harry would be just their kind of Tau'ri.

Of course, he's still got his own angle to play. He's Harry Maybourne, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                                Well, as I may have said before, I hope to see him back as an agent of the Tok'ra with an agenda. I know Jack suggested the Tok'ra could zip him off somewhere quiet, but I don't see them passing up the opportunity to make use of such a skilled intelligence operative. Jack may not get on with them, but I think Harry would be just their kind of Tau'ri.

Of course, he's still got his own angle to play. He's Harry Maybourne, after all.
                                Well, that would also make an interesting challenge to any fic writers hanging around this thread
                                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X