This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janus
    I think we should solve the Asgards cloning problems first.
    Then we (Earth) will have plenty of time to teach Asgard to 'Think Outside the Box.'

I wasn't implying that we should 'teach' them anything. Obviously the cloning issue and the war against the replicators is of most import for the Asgard people at the moment. I'm just saying that I think their acceptance of death so quickly could be because they can't think themselves out of the situation. I love the Asgard race and I wish we'd see more of them in the show! On the same hand however I think they have started to rely on their technology a little too much and there is not enough abstract thinking going on.

Comment

Remember, remember, remember, joeymia, that the Asgard do not think as we do. Who to say that they can comprehend losing their persona in the transffer. Remember, their tech is not like ours, either they think that there is no risk, or there really isn't any risk.

But I guess we have to agree to disagree. Trust me, I know how valuable a life is (several people I know have gone suicide) but the Asgard have ten thousand years or so on us; they don't think like we do.

As for "Just the Zats, Ma'am"'s comments, I agree, I think your on the right track.

My Own Little World

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      101 Ways to Annoy, Harass, Confuse or Generally Scare Lord Voldemort
      "Be nice to nerds;
      one day, you'll end up working for one."
      -Evil Overlord Bill Gates
      Ba'al: I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go!
      Jack: *choke* That's my throat, Ba'al.....

Comment

What does them not thinking as we do have anything to do with their self sacrifice complex. I just stated the fact that they have the technology to transfer their persona into a new host. Obviously if someone with 1000's of years of knowledge seems eager to just give it up it is because they have a back up plan. I refuse to believe that race that was traveling between galaxies over 30,000 years ago, is stupid enough to just go on recklessly ending their own life. They know that their race can no longer reproduce new offspring so why not make sure to safe guard the most important thing they have... their knowledge. They have technology to do it and I am sure they will exploit it every way possible.

Comment

i dont see it as a complex they have , rather they are being practical / logical

would you not give your life to save your family / race / world ?

"there is no greater nobility than the capacity for self sacrifice"

Comment

Originally posted by Sm0keY
            i dont see it as a complex they have , rather they are being practical / logical

would you not give your life to save your family / race / world ?

"there is no greater nobility than the capacity for self sacrifice"
            of course it is noble to sacrifice yourself to save everybody, but thats not the issue at hand. the issue is why are the asgard so eager to accept death? no one is questioning their conviction and willingness to sacrifice themselves for the greater good, but sacrificing yourself with out even trying to save yourself is stupid. if there is no other way for you to save the day then sacrificing yourself is very noble but if you can save the day and live, that is even more noble because you can now save the day another time. the asgard dont even try to think of other options they go with dying first, like when....
            Spoilers Season 8 New Order 1 and 2
            `
            `
            `
            `
            `
            `
            `
            `
            `
            `
            `
            `
            `
            when the replicators took off for Orilla the first thing Thor thinks of and goes with is blowing up his ship to take them out. Of course Teal'c was no help because the Jaffa are even more eager to die than the Asgard (although Teal'c has gotten better over the years) he didnt even consider any other course of action, he just knew that blowing up his ship and killing them both in the process would do the job so he went with it. if in the end that was the only way to stop them then thats fine, but look for more options first!

Comment

Self-sacrifice is one of the traits the Norse gods taught to us. If the Asgard were afraid to die, it would go against everything the Norse gods teach us.

Comment

SPOILER SPACE

in the part of the episode you describe you forgot to mention that thor said his ships weapons would not function in hyperspace but the self destruct may be enough to destroy them because they could not take the chance of the replicators ship reaching orilla

thats why his only other choice was to take both himself and the other ship out by self destructing as close to it as he could

Comment

Originally posted by joeymia
                  What does them not thinking as we do have anything to do with their self sacrifice complex. I just stated the fact that they have the technology to transfer their persona into a new host. Obviously if someone with 1000's of years of knowledge seems eager to just give it up it is because they have a back up plan. I refuse to believe that race that was traveling between galaxies over 30,000 years ago, is stupid enough to just go on recklessly ending their own life. They know that their race can no longer reproduce new offspring so why not make sure to safe guard the most important thing they have... their knowledge. They have technology to do it and I am sure they will exploit it every way possible.
                  I don't think so at all. I'm sorry, but they not thinking as we do is very relavent to the topic. You are pointing out that they seem like they have a back-up plan. If they don't think like us (we like back up plans), they may think that they don't HAVE to have back up plans; they may think their plans are foolproof. I also believe that their more concerned with the Reppies, Goa'ulds, Earth, and their cloning problem than backing up their personas. That's all I'm saying. I COULD be wrong, but so could you. However, I congradulate you on sticking to your guns.

I agree, the Norse gods (who the Asgard basiclly are) think that self-sarificing is very important. Norse warriors would hang themselves to get to Vahallah (the heaven for warriors only) faster. They think dyng in battle was the greatest honor.

My Own Little World

101 Ways to Annoy, Harass, Confuse or Generally Scare Lord Voldemort
                  "Be nice to nerds;
                  one day, you'll end up working for one."
                  -Evil Overlord Bill Gates
                  Ba'al: I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go!
                  Jack: *choke* That's my throat, Ba'al.....

Comment

Working...
                  X