This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RUhunter
    The Stargate dematerializes a body, transports it across space and rematerializes it at the other end. A mind shouldn't be any different.

As for the Asgard giving up...they already have. What if (spoiler)
    the Asgard clone Colson Int. reproduced solved the genetic problem?
    Spoiler:
    It wasn't a modified Asgard. It was just a straight up clone of Asgard DNA.
    sigpic

Comment

Asgard do not care about dying because they can just upload their consciousness into a new clone. A species that advanced probably can just send their consciousness thru their ship’s communications just as they are going to die. They create a new clone upload his memory back on his home world bam Thor is back.

Comment

With regard the cloning issue I think thats being sorted, Spoke to Thor the other day... dw I said hi, there's like two of the little fella's, you should see Thor to Karrioki... dam that guy can move..

(Cough, get on with your post Sy)

When the Belisker was coming to Earth its because the Asgard were in a way responsible... after all they had Earths co- ordinates plummed into their computer, so the Reppies thought "Humm, that Sy looks dam good to eat... lets go replicate with him"

I love the Asgard, I think they are just a nobal species.

Sorry again for the babbaling

Sy~
        A lady came up to me on the street and pointed to my sued jacket...
        "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" She sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone...
        "I diddnt know there were any witnesses. Now I'll have to kill you to!"

Sy~

Comment

Ohh, I just read the whole post... and I love that question about how the Asgard transport their conciousness.

If anyone here has ever read a book called The Reality Dysfunction, it has a telapathic link known as "affinity" that was geneered into humans far into the future, so that the living soul of a person who dies can carry on living on forever in a giant mix of concious thought. A race so technologically advanced as that of the Asgard cannot die, and since in past stargate episodes we have seen examples of telapathic ability present, one could naturally asume the Asgard would have the genetic capacity to genneer something into their cloning matrix.

I watch too much tv, and read too many sci fi novals

(Shut up Sy) Sorry

Sy~
          "You know a cow was murdered for that jacket?" She sneered. I replied in a psychotic tone...

Sy~

Comment

I don't think that Thor or the other Asgard are in a hurry to die at all. When the Beliskner was coming to Earth with the Replicators in "Nemesis" keep in mind these things:

-Asgard weapons are obviously ineffective against them.

-Thor was injured to a point where he had to rest in that pod thing. He was apparantly the only one on the ship.

-Sacrificing himself was not his "only choice". Thor told Jack that he sent the Beliskner on a course for Earth and programmed it to beam Jack up when it got there so that perhaps he could help Thor.

What do you think would be the best choice in this situation? Trying to exterminate the Replicators with submachine guns and shotguns wouldn't work, as they'd probably miss one and they probably couldn't do it fast enough before the Replicators would take over the ship and land it on Earth. Both SG-1 and Thor knew that that was unacceptable, so they decided to blow up the ship.
            Thor: The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur.

Comment

Speaking of Subs... Wouldnt it be ace to see an Asgard with a AK-47 assalt rifle!

(Sy, guns are evil) Sorry

Sy~

Sy~

Comment

Okay, with the "back up file" of an Asgard's mind theroy:

An Asgard's mind would only be as "backed up" as the last time he copied his mind; e.i. say your were writting a story and you got really far from the last time you saved. All of a sudden, your computer crashed, causing the irritrivable part of the story to go bye-bye. You lost a lot of work and time into that, and it cannot be replaced.

Think of how much memory it would take to store that many Asgard personas, always updated. Thousands apon thousands of Asgard pesonas, with thousands and thousands of years of memories stored in them, I doubt several hundred supercomputers could do it. And, remember, the Asgard have to defened themself, not only from the Replicators, but the Goa'uld too, and probably others as well. So the resouces probably would be dwindling. I seem to remember that the US had to dissasemble batteries to take the copper and use it during WWII (or was it something else? ?? )

The Asgard won't be able to "save" their personas all the time, so something would probably be lost along the way, valuble information to defeat the Reppies....

Also, regaurding the across-space-and-time-theory: the Asgard are not on the same level of the Anceints... yet. I doubt the have this technology now. However, it is possible...

My Own Little World

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
                101 Ways to Annoy, Harass, Confuse or Generally Scare Lord Voldemort
                "Be nice to nerds;
                one day, you'll end up working for one."
                -Evil Overlord Bill Gates
                Ba'al: I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go!
                Jack: *choke* That's my throat, Ba'al.....

Comment

.... She's clever... dont mess.

Sy~

Sy~

Comment

Thanks, Sy~, but it was all common sense.

Or was I just raised too much around computers to know?

Aw, I'm a nerd anyways.

Come to think of it, isn't everyone here?

ANYWAYS!

I happen to agree that the Asgard's complex is strange, but whose to say it's a complex? Maybe it's those particular Asgard.
                    Spoiler:
                    Remember that Thor was reluctant to give up the O'Neill in Small Victories.
                    I don't think it was really that they want to die or give up their lives easily, it's just that they couldn't see a way out. They can't think little anymore, and they're certainly not up for physical fights.

My Own Little World

"Be nice to nerds;

Comment

The Asgard cannot reproduce therefore I am sure that the most important part of their civilization is being able to transfer their consciousness into new bodies. A being with 1000's of years of knowledge will not have the patience to teach a new "blank" Asgard. Thor was able to transfer his consciousness into a Gou'ald mother ship’s computer which is 1000's of years inferior to the Asgard. Now using our current rate of advancement in the microprocessor and storage capacities, which is doubles every 2 years. That would mean the Asgard have storage capacities of over 100,000's Gou'ald mother ships easily. Therefore I am sure they can backup "themselves" at will and mostly be able to maintain repositories of their entire race.

Comment

Yes, but remember, they have limited resources and time. It's a great theroy, and totally possible, but I don't think it's very practical. I think they dircetly transfer a persona from one body to another.

Also remember that they're not very "low tech," so to speak, and may not have thought of it. They may think that itheir way is foolproof or something. The Asgard don't think of everything, and vise versa with humans.

Remember, that even if they've been here longer than us, it done't mean that they've adavnced like we did/are.

My Own Little World

"Be nice to nerds;

Comment

No transfering persona into storage is the most practical solution. Think for second how valuable your life is. If you could live on forever by doing this would you take the risk of your body being destroyed before you could "upload yourself"? They will not risk transfering from body to body. They cannot reproduce and are at war. Being able live on in storage or whatever is the most important peice of their entire civilization.

Comment

I don't think the Asgard are 'eager' to die per-say.

Perhaps knowing that your mind can be transplanted to another body makes them a little less concerned with death but I think this also has a side effect of robbing them of some 'practical thoughts'.

It is obvious that Carter's 'dumb' ideas helped the Asgard save their world at one point. As we all know necesatiy (sp?) is the mother of all invention. Because there is no 'end' to an Asgard life I think they cannot create an 'abstract' thought to save themselves.

So I don't think it is an eagerness to die, more an inability to come up with 'primative' thoughts that could save their lives. More often than not it is that 'thinking-outside-the-box' that saves the day!

Comment

I think we should solve the Asgards cloning problems first.
                              Then we (Earth) will have plenty of time to teach Asgard to 'Think Outside the Box.'
                              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

The strange thing is that because the Asgard sacrifice themselves so much that means they would have to clone more often which means that the process of degradation of their body would go faster. They are speeding up the downfall of their race.

Comment

Working...
                                X