Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meaning of Life Stuff- What does Stargate mean to you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And it introduced the *world* to blue jello...when you can find it in the mess!

Nmom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hostile
      Stargate SG-1, to me, signifies the only TV show on Sky One worth it's salt. Seriously, they never show Buffy or Angel any more. But every day, at 6AM, I can rely on the Stargate to deliver a slice of sci-fi ass-kicking, with some of the finest dialogue and filming around.

Not to mention the FX budget blows my mind.
      Now I love Stargate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But nothing could make me get up at 6 am to watch it.

BTW, what are you doing up so early?
      sigpic
      Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
        Hehe, don't say you weren't warned..! So here is my - completely serious ;-) - look on what Stargate means to me

http://www.twenty-five-percent.com/25feli01.html
        Hey Feli that was great. Maybe you could do both Gatecon and Hawaii. One week in Vancouver and then just pop over to Hawaii for the other two weeks.

You are so lucky you have someone at work to talk about Stargate. All my co-workers want to talk about is Canadian and American Idol. Have you heard about them? I really don't care for those reality shows.

Just think in 33 days we will be at GATECON!!!!!

ROLL ON JULY!!!!!!!!!!
        sigpic
        Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

I think Stargate shows humanity at its best: exploring. The show is of a different caliber than ST Enterprise or other Sci-fi shows. In my opinion, Enterprise seems to be preachy at times and takes itself a little too seriously.

Also Stargate shows humanity at its worst, while obviously the goa'uld are evil, in one of the first episodes 105 First Commandment
          Spoilers
          x
          x
          x
          x
          x
          x
          x
          x
          the 'god' that was ruling over these people was just a person, he didn't have an evil snake in him but he was still just as evil.
          Jack:"Oh I don't know I just can't imagine cute little furry things making big powerful weapons"
          Jonas:"I don't even know what they look like"
          Jack:"Furling, sounds cute and fuzzy to me"
          --Paradise Lost 615
          Thor: "We can only hope this is the last footwear to fall"
          --Unnatural Selection 612
          Jack: I'm Larry, this is (points to Sam) Moe, and of course everybody's favorite (referring to Daniel) Curly.
          --Seth 302

"Nu ani Anquiatas" - "We are the ancients"

Comment

There are several points I could mention for this thread, but one stands out to me the most: the ambiguous evil of some of the Goa'uld. I'm thinking in particular of good ol' Yu, and also another one whose name I won't mention cos it's a spoiler, where their evil isn't so cut and dried. And for that matter Apophis and his feelings for Amonet. The fact that the show portrays the bad guys as having good qualities (that are not necessarily just there to cover up more badness) is to me fascinating.

Bomber

Comment

Well, since SciFi usually becomes science fact, I like the idea that we will one day reach the stars, and we may not have to travel in space ships to do it. Kind of makes me wish I wasn't born for another couple hundred years when the space shuttles are just the oldest ride at Disneyland.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Baal
                Stargate is my life. Stargate is my reason for living. If Stargate didn't exist, I don't know what I'd do. I wish Stargate was real. Then I'd go become a Jaffa!
                just no jaffa jokes please ^_^

stargate has changed my life significantly, from incorporating gould into my vocab a bit, to teal'cisms, to showing the potential that humanity is out there, and also giving me hope that maybe, just maybe SETI will be succesful someday and we will find life beyond our solar system (planet really..)..

rosewell grey eh?

Comment

To me, the 'meaning of life stuff' applies not only to Stargate but to much of science fiction television.

I feel like I owe a debt to Jim and Jean-Luc for making me the man I am today. Who knows who my role models might have been if I hadn't had two fake starship captains showing me what life is about? As different as O'Neill and Daniel are, they fall right in the same category with Picard, Kirk, Spock, Data, etc. because all these characters are good role models. They don't swear; they don't kill unless they have to, and sometimes not even then; they don't strive for material gain; they help wherever they can; they're not in a constant search to get high; in short, they have a moral compass and they try their best to follow it. Their moral compass isn't anchored by a legalistic text or divine knowledge, they simply know what every human (or Vulcan, android, Jaffa) knows deep down: the difference between right and wrong, and 'wrong' includes not helping to do right.

Not a day goes by that I don't wish more children watched science fiction. There is no genre that puts forth so many characters who would actually help you out if you were stranded on the side of the road. If just ten percent more of the population put others before themselves, the world would be a better place.

Comment

StarGate to me is about revolution, history and if you actually delve deeper into it instead of looking at it just as some Sci Fi show, you'd really see a darker meaning to a lot of the things they show - like the Goa'uld for instance. You watch the history channel and somewhere along the way you realize the Goa'uld are really mostly a metaphor ... and a very good one.
                    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

For me Sci-Fi has always been about giving you the possibilty to imagine "what if" and what would you do when faced with a problem. Wether its dealing with a parasitic alien race or modifying the phase deflector to emit an inverse tachyon pulese, Sci-Fi gives you the chace to take a step back from reality helps you see the bigger picture of who we are and where we are going. Stargate was one of the things that opened my mind from soley thinking about myself to the infinite universe around me.
                      Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

No offense to any one here, but Stargate is to me, finally, a SciFi show that was worthy of taking the palce of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The reason I say this is not because of the FX or the action, because that's not why I liked ST:TNG or Stargate, but because of what it offers. It's a look at a world where the best doesn't turn out, where humans haven't come to a higher reasoning and are still doing things for the human reasons, and it shows some of our best and worst qualities.

I also like how it shows cultures where christanity <no offense> was not an influencing factor, where the Norse gods survived, where there is nothing to interfere with the natural process of that society evolving, whether it's slower or faster then us. That, and it's got the ability to make the cliche villian <Apophis and Anubis> look cool and actually threatening. But, that's besides the point.
                        'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by David
                          To me, Stargate means the future of possibility. Where we've been, where we are, and where we can go. That's one of the reasons I try to reflect that personality, that goodness of she show, in these forums, and I hope others will take up that banner with me.

Stargate is so cool because it is engaging, it's from the heart, and deep down, it is warm and good.

I agree with you 100%

Comment

Stargate makes us think. Stargate makes us use our imagination. Stargate makes us question. Stargate brings to light so many possibilities to explore.

Comment

i love stargate, i love the fact it is set in modern time but you can still see aliens and have advance technologies. Even though i have never met sg-1 or the cast of atlantis, i feel like i know them so well. To me stargate is my religon, the cast of sg1 and atlantis are my heroes, gateworld is my home and the members of gateworld are my family. i am so glad that stargate and gateworld are apart of my life.

Comment

Stargate has absolutely no "meaning of life" content for me. It is a show. It is sometimes entertaining. It kills an hour where I don't have to think more serious thoughts. If I ever start having meaning of life thoughts from it, I think I'll stop watching!

Comment

Working...
                                X