This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord §okar
    Oh, stop. People know the difference between real and speculative science.
    Don't presume that just because you can recognise the amount of bad science propagated by sci-fi, SG-1 and Trek in particular, that "people" can. The official trek site's surveys indicate that many children learn more about science than from any other source.
    I swear I'm people, too!

I believe your statistic. If parents and teacher can't or won't explain the difference, maybe that's a good idea for a science special. Did you hear that "NOVA"?

But if you're going to pick on shows about bad science, don't pick on SG1 or the Star Treks, pick on "Space 1999" or the other pseudo-science shows.

I do wish that all the shows would employ real scientists and science fiction writers more often. That's the way to get original stories and good science. I did think that "Stargate SG1. A Matter of Time", (the black hole episode) was great science and exciting drama.
    Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Personally I don't mind it. I got into a discussion with a friend a while back about a ship I disigned in class. For 10 minutes I told him about the systems it had and he would point out a flaw in it and I would immediatly come back with another feature that would contradict him. So I guess I don't mind it because I'm to stupid to not understand it (by this I mean I FIND a way to make what was said seam possible no matter how impossible it is). And techno-babble is the greatest weapon of them all. If you have a big enouph mouth you could destroy all life in the galaxy without firing a shot (technicly speaking).
      I design ships for one reason: To make everyone in the universe to run in fear at the very mention of its name.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_designer
        And techno-babble is the greatest weapon of them all. If you have a big enouph mouth you could destroy all life in the galaxy without firing a shot (technicly speaking).
        I appreciate you not firing a shot, but would you save a galaxy next time? Please!

Comment

I was watching Evolution part 2 tonight, and they said something about masking their life-signs on the Gou'ald ship with some radioactive isotopes, which I thought was pretty lame cop-out.

Phil
          Teal'c: I believe a medical attack could be successful.
          Jack: Surgical attack Teal'c. It's called a surgical attack.

Comment

No, I can't save the galaxy. Once I start talking nothing can shut me up. Which is great because most of my teachers are looking forward to getting rid of me in june and the last thing they want to do is fail me and make me come back next year instead of graduating.
            I design ships for one reason: To make everyone in the universe to run in fear at the very mention of its name.

Comment

I just don't know how to repond to that. I guess, good luck, with graduating I mean, not destroying the galaxy.

Comment

well, atleast if Mad Designer get's taken over by a Goa'uld he'll be too busy talking to the system lords rather than attacking Earth (and if anyone replies with a post about the protected planets treaty then... I'll unleash my secret weapon)

Comment

Originally posted by USS Thunderchild
                  I was watching Evolution part 2 tonight, and they said something about masking their life-signs on the Gou'ald ship with some radioactive isotopes, which I thought was pretty lame cop-out.

Phil
                  Lame cop-out? How exactly? Would you prefere if they just walked around like Anubis with all his advanced tech couldn't find them? (I know they did it before, but shush ) That wasn't the only time they used the isotope, Fallen/Homecoming too, Daniel and Jonas took it when they went to Anubis' ship.

But if you know a better way to stop the sensors detecting them, go ahead!

Comment

Its not me being taken over by a Goa'uld that should worry you. I'm WORSE then any Goa'uld, including Anubis. I prefer talking alot because it lures my enemys into a false sence of security so that if I choose to, they wouldn't see the knife coming out of my pocket until its to late.

Comment

The techno babble is great! Especially when it is accurate, which it is most of the time. I guess I like it so much because it gives me ideas for my engineering classes. Plus, most of the stuff they talk about is possible, if we had access to the right materials. But then again, I am a techie myself, so maybe I dont' really have room to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                        Lame cop-out? How exactly? Would you prefere if they just walked around like Anubis with all his advanced tech couldn't find them? (I know they did it before, but shush ) That wasn't the only time they used the isotope, Fallen/Homecoming too, Daniel and Jonas took it when they went to Anubis' ship.

But if you know a better way to stop the sensors detecting them, go ahead!
                        I just assumed that with a ship that could destroy cities, and fleets of Goa'uld ships, wouldn't be able to be fooled by something that could be replicated by a college student.

Phil
                        Teal'c: I believe a medical attack could be successful.
                        Jack: Surgical attack Teal'c. It's called a surgical attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                          But if you're going to pick on shows about bad science, don't pick on SG1 or the Star Treks, pick on "Space 1999" or the other pseudo-science shows.
                          Why? Star Trek disseminates some of the worst pseudoscience I've ever seen and SG-1, where once it was PS free, is starting to adopt the almighty "phase shift". Carters scientific flatulence (Amanda Tapping's own words) is becoming more and more frequent. It would be better left unexplained.
                          Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by USS Thunderchild
                            I just assumed that with a ship that could destroy cities, and fleets of Goa'uld ships, wouldn't be able to be fooled by something that could be replicated by a college student.

Phil
                            And a college student would know what type of isotope would be needed and how to make sure the users don't receive a lethal dose of radiation?

Comment

i'd rather endure a bit of technobabble to explain something than to have to just attribute it to suspension of disbelief. a lot of it is interesting, too.

and i can relate to carter since i babble constantly.

Comment

Working...
                              X