General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linzi
    God, I HATE au shippy scenes with a passion! They are such a total cop out! Do it, or don't do it, I say!
    What makes the au shippy scenes so bad is that they are used instead of a real relationship. If tptb started out with au scenes and then had them lead to an actual romance, then the au scenes might seem cute. I think Joss Whedon needs to have a seminar for the Stargate ptb on how to write romance and female characters.

Comment

Originally posted by lissa1000
      I think Joss Whedon needs to have a seminar for the Stargate ptb on how to write romance and female characters.
      Hear, hear!
      sigpic

Comment

Seeing the scene in SGA's Sateda

Spoiler:
        with Sheppard and Teyla, I am now convintced that TPTB CAN put plausible, REAL emotion on screen tastefully, without going over the top. (And I'm not a S/T shipper, I didn't mean emotion that way)

So if they could do it there, and they could do it in many lovely S/J moments as well, why shy away from subtle, but non-AU ship?

Originally posted by lissa1000
        What makes the au shippy scenes so bad is that they are used instead of a real relationship. If tptb started out with au scenes and then had them lead to an actual romance, then the au scenes might seem cute. I think Joss Whedon needs to have a seminar for the Stargate ptb on how to write romance and female characters.

Banner by *E*K*R*

Comment

Well I have no doubt that they have the ability to write a plausible realistic relationship between two adults without it being overly saccarine and/or taking away from the plot of the show but the question is..will they?

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
            What with episode 200 coming up I felt that it was time to dust off the ol' Ship Discussion thread. The reason being that I've read that there was something said by Amanda Tapping to the effect of "both sides will be happy" in regards to the Sam/Jack situation. My question being...is that even possible? I don't think so. I think at this point that most shippers won't be happy with anything less than an outright resolution and from my discussion with my anti-shipper friends it sounds as though they'll be cringing at even the slightest hint of ship. I would love to hear what others think.

I agree. Things are way too divisive on this issue. I'm one who won't like even a hint of ship 200th spoiler
            Spoiler:
            although I'm reminding myself that it's all fake, which I hope will take the sting off a bit -especially if neither Sam or Jack pitch the idea for the blased wedding, but someone else does and they reject it/ And, reading andi_b's post, you can see how differently we think even on this
            . And I agree shippers don't want hints and dancing around but want a full acknowledgement.

At this point, I think that only the most moderate on either side could be satisfied. Those anti shippers who don't want it, but are okay with hints (especially if they don't see those hints as being as strong and overwhelming as I see most of them) and the shippers who just enjoy it when it's there and don't care when it's not. Anyone with a strong opinion is going to be disappointed if tptb don't make a stand, and if they do, than one side or the other is going to be disappointed.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Well you never know...maybe they'll make alternate endings. Did anybody else ever read those pick your own ending books when they were younger? Choose A if you're a shipper and choose B if you're not. If they're going to cop out then they might as well go gung ho.

Comment

Yeah, I used to read those books.

Maybe it'll be "watch the first showing if you're a shipper" and "watch the second showing if you're not a shipper"

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

I have a question for both sides.

Speculation
                  Spoiler:
                  If they decided to go the route where Sam and Jack are already in a relationship and/or married but they had it offscreen, like they became an item somewhere between the end of season 8 and the beginning of season 9, and it was acknowledged onscreen in 200 but they left it at that (i.e. they didn't make a huge honking deal out of it)...would most people on both the pro and anti sides be able to be happy with something like that?

Comment

Speculation
                    Spoiler:
                    If they decided to go the route where Sam and Jack are already in a relationship and/or married but they had it offscreen, like they became an item somewhere between the end of season 8 and the beginning of season 9, and it was acknowledged onscreen in 200 but they left it at that (i.e. they didn't make a huge honking deal out of it)...would most people on both the pro and anti sides be able to be happy with something like that?

Spoiler:
                    I can only speak for myself, but NO! I am violently anti ship. Not ship is okay if it just gets done and out of the way (maybe at some point I might have been, but no more) and never spoken of again. Never spoken of again should have been finished with already.

And, I know that leaves no room for compromise with other viewpoints, but that's the privilege of just being a lowly viewer

Comment

Fair 'nuff.

Comment

Speculation
                        Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                        depends totally on how it would be done.

and basically... when you've been waiting for a payoff for 10 years, the expectation level is off the roof.

sally

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                          Spoiler:
                          I can only speak for myself, but NO! I am violently anti ship. Not ship is okay if it just gets done and out of the way (maybe at some point I might have been, but no more) and never spoken of again. Never spoken of again should have been finished with already.

And, I know that leaves no room for compromise with other viewpoints, but that's the privilege of just being a lowly viewer
                          I fully agree with everything Dani said here.
                          Spoiler:
                          Even though the biggest problem I have with this 'ship is the way it invades and even seems to trump every other aspect of the show, I'd still hate the acknowledgement of a relationship, even offscreen. Reason being, the idea that Sam and Jack can't live without each other, that Sam needs a man and Jack needs a woman in order to be happy, etc demeans both characters in my eyes.
                          Plus, what would Sam want with Jack when she's got
                          Spoiler:
                          all those Ba'als around?

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                            Spoiler:
                            Even though the biggest problem I have with this 'ship is the way it invades and even seems to trump every other aspect of the show, I'd still hate the acknowledgement of a relationship, even offscreen. Reason being, the idea that Sam and Jack can't live without each other, that Sam needs a man and Jack needs a woman in order to be happy, etc demeans both characters in my eyes.
                            Count me in with Dani and yasureubetcha
                            Spoiler:
                            someone asked me recently why I was so dead set against S/J and I did a bit of looking back at my posts and I think my main problem is the way they have written it and what they have done to Sam's character in the name of it.
                            I'm never going to forgive the writers for that needy, frumpy woman in twin set and pearls gatecrashing her boss' BBQ with his girlfriend. That was just so not the Sam I knew and loved.
                            I'm afraid I have a very low opinion on women who exist purely as an extension of their partner, 'the little woman' who has no independant spark when not in a relationship with a man and I hate seeing Sam, fabulous, bright, sparkling Sam, reduced to Jack's Girl.
                            I thought it so telling when TPTB said they didn't know what to do with Sam in season 9. It was as though they were saying that now Jack had gone, there was nothing else they had left to do with Sam.

200 is going to be another AU wedding, what with Sam's long hair & Vala as bridesmaid (hello? Cassie? hello?) which will not make either side happy. Looks to me like it might be someone putting forward the idea of what might have happened if S/J weren't Airforce.

They've made such a muck up of S/J over the last couple of years, I'd be happier if they dropped the whole sorry mess as I'm sure that the fans and the fanfic writers are doing a much better job.

Which reminds me, the Stargate Fan Awards are open for voting, excuse me while I go on over to read the best fanfic out there about my chosen ship, I'd encourage the S/J shippers to go read their favoured pairing, see if that makes them happier than TPTB do. Some of these writers are truely gifted.

FF
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                              Spoiler:
                              Plus, what would Sam want with Jack when she's got
                              Spoiler:
                              all those Ba'als around?

And, I agree with what yasureubetcha added. And:

Spoiler:
                              Not only the Ba'als, but what would Kvasir think of her running around on him?

Comment

Mmm...Ba'als. I just can't look at that man anymore without seeing him shirtless. Not that that is a bad thing for me. You couldn't really blame a girl for going in that direction. The man's dead sexy.

Comment

Working...
                                X