This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    Sorry? So in the world of morals there are small morals and large ones? See I disagree, yes there are excuses but not small and large categories of moral behaviour imho.

I understand that that taking of a life has a greater impact then lying but I would call lying unethical not immoral. Again not religious so I do not get my morals from the bible if the bible says they are both moral issues then fine, but I say one is an ethical question while the other is a moral question.
    It would be against my ethical and moral centre to lie to my parents, just as it is against my ethical and moral centre to kill someone. Especially considering they are the same thing.
    eth·ics
    –plural noun
    1. (used with a singular or plural verb) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.
    2. the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.: medical ethics; Christian ethics.
    3. moral principles, as of an individual: His ethics forbade betrayal of a confidence.
    4. (usually used with a singular verb) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.
    However I would not expect both to carry the same punishment.

On the bible thing - I have no idea what the good book says. I am an athiest.

BTW I have had three people 'come out' to me *over the years* at work... happens. Especially when the laws change.
    Now where abouts in a conversation about the star drive, hyperspace technology, wraith attacks, Asuran mind probes and why the asgard are not wearing any clothes would you find the best place for say Keller to pop up and so, "Oh, By the way, I am Bi"?

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    The bible also says

Judge not lest you be judged

The bible is also a book written by MEN who CLAIM to be putting down the word of god...but we only have thier word for it. it is also a book that has been translated and retranslated, always with an agenda

At the end of the day, if God has an issue with homosexuality, let him - or her - deal with the 'sinner' on judgement day. Live adn let live, take care of yourself and let others deal with thier own issues and stop forcing your own beliefs upon others.
    Cheers to that!

Again - I have nothing against Homosexuals or Bisexuals. Some of my closest friends are. I simply can not see where it would be a viable story line in Stargate without changing the entire direction of the show. It has never been about "this person likes that person". They may allude to that with Jack and Sam or Pete and Sam (and it has only ever SPECIFICALLY admitted those two. ONLY those two, despite what 'chemistry' anyone else sees between John and a million other women) - but it only ever once went into depth and it was like a fish out of water. It added nothing to the show as a whole.

I just fail to see what value we would get out of that at all that relates to 4 people going through a big metal ring and firing at evil aliens with P-90s. If I want to explore the human condition in relation to homosexuality, I could hire Philadelphia or Brokeback Mountain - or even whack on Season 2 of Babylon 5, where it was not out of place. I am watching Stargate because its Stargate.
    : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
    : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Hey, I'm all for it, being gay myself. Just as long as it does stereotype the character. Heck, done correctly, how do we know there isn't a main character that is gay/bi/lesbian, already in the show? Not every gay man acts effeminate, or lesbian acts butch...

This is what I personally think... Atlantis has a rather tentative hold on ratings and continuation future... Introducing a controversial gay character would work either in irking off some viewers, forcing them to leave, dropping the rating, or momentarily gaining some viewers that picked up on this 'controversy'... This would probably be short lived, as people tire 'gimmics' then leave the show, thus dropping ratings again. Statistically, shows with gay characters, usually don't last...(there are exceptions to this) I just don't think Atlantis is show capable of having a full time gay character, and still lasting the distance...(writing isn't mature enough to sustain a gay character that is more than a token or stereotype)... this is my opinion though...

finally, with the whole Bible is against gays... I suggest to those to go back and read the ORIGINAL translation of the bible, as NOWHERE does it say exactly quoting, "God says Homosexuality is wrong", everything else is an interpretation by MAN.

p.s There are numerous mentions of sexual acts/activities practiced by both hetero/homosexuals that are disallowed, but as far as I know relationships, both gay/str8 are more than just about sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
        LOL!
        Anyway I am an atheist so my opinion doesn't count.
        Well as long as your aware of it.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps
          I simply can not see where it would be a viable story line in Stargate without changing the entire direction of the show. It has never been about "this person likes that person". They may allude to that with Jack and Sam or Pete and Sam (and it has only ever SPECIFICALLY admitted those two. ONLY those two, despite what 'chemistry' anyone else sees between John and a million other women) - but it only ever once went into depth and it was like a fish out of water. It added nothing to the show as a whole.
          Yes, the writers aren't very good in writing romantic story lines. That's why i only want a ship when they can write it in serious manner without it having teenage vibes. As long as they can't pull that off i suggest a complete ban on ships.
          sigpic

Comment

Just skimmed through this thread and have to say that in the 21st century it's sad that there is still so much prejudice and homophobia out there.....

Anyway back on topic, in principal I would say yes to a gay character, however as has been mentioned, IMO TPTB have enough trouble writing het relationships, just look what they've done with Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala
            I fear they would just make a joke out of it, kind of like the Duet "kiss" thing.

But they needn't make a big thing out of it, maybe visit another planet where someone is openly gay and on that planet being gay/bi or whatever isn't an issue like here on earth. Or they could simply mention that say one of the scientists is dating another man/woman.
            It would be nice if they at least acknowledged that not everyone in the universe is heterosexual

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
              Yes, the writers aren't very good in writing romantic story lines. That's why i only want a ship when they can write it in serious manner without it having teenage vibes. As long as they can't pull that off i suggest a complete ban on ships.
              oh Boy. 200 "Dawsons Gate" flash backs.

That was so horrible, it was hilarious!
              : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
              : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                EDIT: Ironically, homosexuality is NOT an Abomination unto Nuggan (although barking dogs, the color blue and babies are).
                Ha! Oy, thankee for that reminder, I love Nuggan!

Originally posted by prion View Post
                Oddly enough, yes. American TV is far more comfortable with violence and blood spattered walls, than it is with sex, although that's been changing in the past few years. Now you can get both violence and sex and murder in the CSI franchise!
                It's a bit sad, isn't it? Violence is deemed acceptable and non controversial while love isn't.
                I don't think it should be an issue - gods, no, that woudl be even worse. As some people here might be aware of my opinions of "edgy television"... and it does stink of that. But just like heterosexual relationships (with aliens, cough cough) are portrayed as a matter of fact, the aien of the week to fall in love with Daniel or Sam or Jack (or Jaffa of the week with Teal'c) - or Sheppard for that matter, there can always be something that isn't a heterosexual relationshipn thrown in in the background.

And since I was asleep when the risk-taking debate went on, to take it a couple of steps backwards just cos I have to have my say As for Stargate taking risks - well. One would think the very premise of the show is the biggest risk the show has ever taken - the question fo "what's a god, how far would you go for your religious beliefs" etc. But they'ev been doing their best for 10 years now to not address that part of the mythology in any risky way - but to remain as friendly and shiney as possible. They sometimes seem to be trying to take this to another level, but then backing out - and that's SG1, SGA has always been much more black-and-white good-wrong scenarios, much more shallow on any respect, and a lot less likely to take risks. Okay, their show, their choice, cooll, I've no problem. But if Stargate is to start taking risks with anything - yes, I'd rather it'd be its natural premise rather than sexuality issues that are handled so badly throughout both shows.
                Last edited by Pitry; 30 June 2007, 02:28 AM.
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I can't believe this thread has gotten seven pages in only 24 hours, that's crazy! I'm somewhat neutral on the gay character thing, it wouldn't bother me, but it wouldn't thrill me either. Sometimes apathy is really the way to go.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                    I can't believe this thread has gotten seven pages in only 24 hours, that's crazy! I'm somewhat neutral on the gay character thing, it wouldn't bother me, but it wouldn't thrill me either. Sometimes apathy is really the way to go.
                    Only 2 pages for me. I have each seleted 100 posts per page in MC(My Control)/

Comment

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

It's fun to stay at the star-gate-com-mand [...]

Comment

Originally posted by Coremae View Post
                        Must of us if not all of us is self conscious about the natural copulation of man and woman. So anything else would be considered unnatural, which is fine really, after all: How many of us would openly admit to masturbation. Sex is dirty, at least in our minds. If any of these beloved characters shot a scene where they were doing the nasty not only would I blush but I think I would feel dirty about watching the show. Perhaps its me. Perhaps its the bible. Perhaps admitting that Samantha and O'Neil had a sexual relationship is gookie enough, anything else would be too much.

I trust you see my point.

Jamal Dominic Barr aka barrman daddylizzo shadoo Coremae KingOde Ode'sblood fiendhorblud
                        I masturbate. I'd be very, very surprised if I was the only one on this thread who did. I'm a 44 year old woman, it would be very odd if I didn't.

Sex is dirty? Why is sex dirty? It's a natural function, your parents had sex, you will, your children will. The Queen has sex, the president of the US has sex, the shop keeper you bought your morning paper from, the actors on TV. Most adults on the planet. All the time. 24/7 All over the world.

It's natural and healthy and so is masturbation. Most people masterbate, most people will have sexual relations with someone during their life. It just is, a bodily function no more dirty than any other. Some people choose to abstain, that is a concious choice, sometimes situations occur where celebacy is forced, that is sad. Sex provides a bond which facilitates a stable enviroment for bringing up children but there is so much more to it than that, recreational sex is no dirtier than procriational sex. And is just as much fun.

Thinking sex and masturbation is dirty is just so far from my mind set I can't comprehend it. And I don't see any difference in the gender of the person you have sex with. If you care for them, it's no ones business but your own who you sleep with.

I also missed the episode where Sam and Jack threw away the regulations and the oath they took to the United States Airforce and had sex with each other. Remind me which episode that was?

And I do hope those of you who base your moral life on the litreral word of the bible don't eat pork, bacon or ham, or crabs and other shellfish and that you stone any adulters you meet, or people who work on the Sabbath, and make sure you beat your slaves regularly. So no more bacon McMuffin on the way to that Sunday shift at work then.

I have no confidence that the writers on Atlantis would make a good job of a queer/bi character, they were awful at trying to write het couples on SG1 so, no, I'd really rather they didn't. I'll leave that to more mature writers. And that's not to say that I think the show writers are dreadful and not able to produce an entertaining program, I just think they lack the maturity and subtlety to handle this particular theme.

FF
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
                          Now where abouts in a conversation about the star drive, hyperspace technology, wraith attacks, Asuran mind probes and why the asgard are not wearing any clothes would you find the best place for say Keller to pop up and so, "Oh, By the way, I am Bi"?
                          Sehpard: "and oh, BTW, did you see how that new hyperdrive technician's been lookign at you?!" (hint hint nudge nudge)
                          Keller: "well, yes, but my girlfriend looks so much better."

A perfect way to turn a conversation about hypersapce technology to drop this in. Just like Message in a Bottle. Sam and Daniel are working and while working, joke about Lt Simmons having a crush on Sam.
                          It happens. All the time.

(BTW, the reference to girlfriend/boyfriend is usually the easiest way people learn someone is gay.)
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry
                            Sehpard: "and oh, BTW, did you see how that new hyperdrive technician's been lookign at you?!" (hint hint nudge nudge)
                            Keller: "well, yes, but my girlfriend looks so much better."
                            from "hyperdrive" to "sex drive" ? hmm smooth move :|

Comment

This thread has been going all night, im impressed and glad this topic is sustaining itself. Its an important one.

I think Sexuality shouldnt be an issue in any context, including stargate. If it is for religious people then i think thats thier own fault for believing the words of the bible...But thats just my opinion.

Now how to introduce a gay/bi character is the issue. I honestly dont know if they have it in them to write a character like that. I think one of the female staff on atlantis is the way to go, its less offensive and generally a bit easier to write well. I think the Teyla + Drs route would be a good one to take, it would be a chance to delve in to those kinds of issues without it being an issue per se. Teyla's pregnecy is a big thing, and i think there will be alot of character development, if they decide to write about lesbianism on the show then i think it would be great. I mean they started off with carter as a very femanist character i dont see themnot being able to portray a lesbian relationship, except that it would be something of an issue IMO for others in atlantis, i can see Shepard or Mkcay making a joke about mud wrestling or something like that which would be where they would fall down. But in general, if they can do it well, sympatheticly then they should go for it.
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                                from "hyperdrive" to "sex drive" ? hmm smooth move :|
                                That is so Sheppard, isn't it?....
                                Yes, I am!
                                sigpic
                                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                                X