X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    First off, that was a really, really long sentence to put together

Second, "Baal" is not a name per se, but a title, literally meaning " "lord of", "ruler of" or "owner of) It can also mean "husband". I think I've touched on this before. It is mainly associated with the Ugaritic thunder god Haddad, who was a fairly important deity; however, the title of "baal" was also bestowed upon patron gods of many city states across the Fertile Crescent. It is very, very likely that the Stargate Baal started off as a minor god who had to rely on his wits rather than might to work his way up the Goa'uld hierarchy. It could also explain the apparent dislike for him that many prominent Goa'ulds seemed to harbor; they probably regarded him as a parvenu of sorts, who didn't belong among the aristocrats.
    Which was basically what I was trying to say in one long, jumbled sentence I think it makes perfect sense- he starts out as a minor figure (probably very localised) and then works his way up. Your point about him being akin to a 'parvenu' is also very good- this distrust and resentment is of course intensified, like it often is in real life, by the fact that they know he's cleverer and more calculating than they are. He had to use wits, as opposed to basic methods of fear, control and gain to get a foot on the proverbial ladder, they resent his ascent due to his original standing, but also because he can outwit them as a result of having worked his way up.

Its totally non-canon, of course, but I like the notion that this minor 'god', with his generic name who could be, as you said a patron city god, is the only powerful Goa'uld from that region that SG-1 actually encounted (that I can remember) because he proved to be the last man standing. There's something very ironic and devious about it that I think befits that particular Goa'uld entirely
    sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
      Which was basically what I was trying to say in one long, jumbled sentence I think it makes perfect sense- he starts out as a minor figure (probably very localised) and then works his way up. Your point about him being akin to a 'parvenu' is also very good- this distrust and resentment is of course intensified, like it often is in real life, by the fact that they know he's cleverer and more calculating than they are. He had to use wits, as opposed to basic methods of fear, control and gain to get a foot on the proverbial ladder, they resent his ascent due to his original standing, but also because he can outwit them as a result of having worked his way up.

Its totally non-canon, of course, but I like the notion that this minor 'god', with his generic name who could be, as you said a patron city god, is the only powerful Goa'uld from that region that SG-1 actually encounted (that I can remember) because he proved to be the last man standing. There's something very ironic and devious about it that I think befits that particular Goa'uld entirely
      Canon or not, your version can be corroborated by many elements of Baal's behavior throughout the series. He is much less reliant on his Jaffa than your average Goa'uld, and doesn't shy away from doing his own bidding. He adapted to the Earth society very quickly, and let us remember that for a Goa'uld the very idea of living as a human among humans, without the luxury of his former life, is not easy to accept. He is the only Goa'uld who had managed to stay afloat after the defeat of the System Lords. I'd say he's done the 'losing everything-starting over again' thing more than once in his life.
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I think they writers care about us, but the whole SG fandom's wish list is very complicated, what you can read here:
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=50575

I think they try to do their best, but sometimes they are out of ideas or money or both, but 90% of the new season is very entertaining. I always said even if they make only one really good episode of the 20 episode long season, than it was worth to make it. Lifeline, TMC, SOW are such episodes, BAMSR is in my top 5 next to COTG, Lost City, Rising and Quest. So I can forgive their mistakes, when they make weaker episodes.

My personal opinion is that we can't control the writers. We can give them advices, but not orders. They made their job for us, but they are not our employers. You should never forget it. If you don't like their work, than don't watch the show, than the rating will be smaller and the producers or the studio will ask them what went wrong.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          I think they writers care about us, but the whole SG fandom's wish list is very complicated, what you can read here:

I think they try to do their best, but sometimes they are out of ideas or money or both, but 90% of the new season is very entertaining. I always said even if they make only one really good episode of the 20 episode long season, than it was worth to make it. Lifeline, TMC, SOW are such episodes, BAMSR is in my top 5 next to COTG, Lost City, Rising and Quest. So I can forgive their mistakes, when they make weaker episodes.

My personal opinion is that we can't control the writers. We can give them advices, but not orders. They made their job for us, but they are not our employers. You should never forget it. If you don't like their work, than don't watch the show, than the rating will be smaller and the producers or the studio will ask them what went wrong.
          Wrong thread
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I wasn't complaining. On the contrary
            sigpic

Comment

Ooops. I feel so stupid.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Ooops. I feel so stupid.
                No problem I for one certainly wasn't offended, and I'm sure that I've done very, very silly things on this thread. In fact, I know I have
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
                  Even when visiting Boston (which of course has the Freedom Trail) I was little enamoured by that period in American history. A little more interested after reading the 'Scarlet Letter', but not much. Apologies to my American friends on this thread

Or just played with it in some other way. Like in the 'The Curse', when instead of putting Isis into Sarah, they chose Osiris instead. It gave that Goa'uld a particular air of ambigious, slightly androgynous menace because you had this obvious female- but one who's not of typical feminine build- being host to a Goa'uld who, although without gender, seemed to be a little more masculine. Not much, just a little. Nice idea and good casting. Ba'al was also a really good, genuinely threatening enemy who was not an obvious choice- as was Nerti and to a certain extent Yu- and they way they used both those characters was interesting as well. Picking lesser known ones is both more of a challenge (doing your research) and easier (in that you have more scope) for the writers, and the result is often better or more interesting.
                  By the Revolution you've lost me

the Osiris/Sarah combo is one of my favorites.

Second, "Baal" is not a name per se, but a title, literally meaning " "lord of", "ruler of" or "owner of) It can also mean "husband". I think I've touched on this before. It is mainly associated with the Ugaritic thunder god Haddad, who was a fairly important deity; however, the title of "baal" was also bestowed upon patron gods of many city states across the Fertile Crescent. It is very, very likely that the Stargate Baal started off as a minor god who had to rely on his wits rather than might to work his way up the Goa'uld hierarchy. It could also explain the apparent dislike for him that many prominent Goa'ulds seemed to harbor; they probably regarded him as a parvenu of sorts, who didn't belong among the aristocrats.
                  The name in itself is ambigous, which makes it great fun as you can play around w/ the mythic system. I often wonder if this is where part of the not naming 'God' came from in the Hebrew culture that was stuck in that area.
                  Titles can also become a name of someone when it becomes intertwined w/ the myth or history of someone or a diety.

He's a bit of the new kid on the block, the noveau riche moving in and ruining the blue blood neighborhood. Well that and his presents explode.

Canon or not, your version can be corroborated by many elements of Baal's behavior throughout the series. He is much less reliant on his Jaffa than your average Goa'uld, and doesn't shy away from doing his own bidding. He adapted to the Earth society very quickly, and let us remember that for a Goa'uld the very idea of living as a human among humans, without the luxury of his former life, is not easy to accept. He is the only Goa'uld who had managed to stay afloat after the defeat of the System Lords. I'd say he's done the 'losing everything-starting over again' thing more than once in his life.
                  He's reselient that's for sure. He is also one of the few Goa'uld w/ a sense of humour and a better understanding of culture too. The willingness to form short term alliances w/ non-Goa'uld societies is also present in a way you don't see. Yu might come the closet, but that was really more of a set up to get him to do what they wanted Yu to do as opposed to a proper alliance.

Platschu
                  sigpic

Comment

Maybe I will be on-topic with these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kla-BcN8u8Q
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KVoYJ5YSzM
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUX5ovRuWNs

A friend of mine send these. They were interesting, aren't they?
                    Last edited by Platschu; 28 January 2008, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I just love Nerti she just a nasty one.
                      sigpic

Comment

Being bored I was perusing general disscussion and came to the conclusion we must terrify folks w/ our antics. But it is also nice to know we are not the only ones wh oenjoy the mythic aspect of Stargate

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=52151
                        sigpic

Comment

according to egyptian mythology. osiris or set was the father of anubis (old dynasty interpretation)
                          sigpic
                          The 11th Doctor. Indeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Comment

Originally posted by timtheomniscient View Post
                            according to egyptian mythology. osiris or set was the father of anubis (old dynasty interpretation)
                            My egypatina mythology is really quite poor I could still do the Greek and Roman Gods in horrid detail though
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X