This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    The only source that claims that Cortes was hailed as Quetzalcoatl happen to be Cortes' own writings. Self-flattery at its most shameless. It is VERY doubtful that it actually happened.

There's this peculiar tendency to underestimate the intelligence of the people who lived before us. The Aztecs may not have had iPods and microwaves, but they were also not the fools that the Spaniards portrayed them to be. They could tell a human from a god quite fine.
    Very true the Aztecs were not a simple culture. It was a very sophisticated ethnic gruop. I'm always skeptical when learnign the source it the person in question or one of their lackeys.

And I agree with Womble. A people's 'primitivism' is always exaggerated by the conquerors. People would have stronger suspicions, and they wouldn't go away, if they took on an existing figure. And it seems from the descriptions that peoples in the show have given, that they invade a planet through force and then establish themselves as a god of their own making. Whereas in that case Ra would have been just going along with the locals, and always double-covering his deception. He would have certainly manipulated aspects of their existing beliefs to his gain, but not to that extent, I think. It's much more effective to overwhelm them entirely and imprint a belief onto them in the aftermath of that-although I do agree that there would have been some taking and manipulating of what was originally there. Lovely folks, those Goa'uld
    Especially w/ European accounts as they are completely ethnocentric. It's pretty across the board for dismissing "native" cultures as not so bright and less developed than Europe was just because it did not resemble. It's a bit like the monk's account of the tree sacrafices you just have to put a question mark there, though w/ that story there is other evidence of blood rituals. hmmmmm..... Wonder what would happen if you got the Aztec, Mayan, and Norse together for a party uh yes back to topic *cut's tangent off*

You do not have to imprint a large area. All you really need is to traumatize one city, take over, crack down and make it yours. Than you can spread the word from one centralized point of power. Which in someays makes sense in the Stargate Universe w/ other Goa'uld coming in as the farther away from the centralized power center one gets the weaker one's hold on them. Can't remembr what the model is actually based on, but it seems I did learn something in Anthro 101 *giggles*
    sigpic

Comment

One of the issues with history of the America's, (and
      I assume that is why so many people stay away from using
      Aztec/Mayan/Inca mythology, is not merely the fact that
      a lot of serious research is only just going on..(say last
      thirty years compared to the hundreds re Egypt)...

But also the question....

If one had never seen anything like columbus, then
      immediate attack and running away would be predicated.

After all, if I live here, and only see my neighbors
      and then one day see this incrediable unbelievable
      contraption approching, I don't think I'd put on a
      fresh pot of coffee.

So the question, which Van Certima explored, is 'they
      came before columbus'; where he postulated arrivants
      from Africa, (Heyerdalh has Phoenicians), others have
      Oceanic people) which would explain the lack of terror
      by those who encountered Columbus.

I know in Jamaica the Taino were not afraid of him.
      Which probably led to their genocide by the Spanards.

Now if people were terrified; i.e. seeing a Goa'uld ship
      land today would cause some serious panic, the enslave
      part means chase them and catch them.

And of course, this means constant warfare.

Even without technology you dig a deep hole, you
      cover it, they drop in, etc.

To worship the Goa'uld as gods, considering they weren't
      particularly nice to the people, suggest to me their
      the portrayal of gods who were in existence.

As to Ra's arrival...I assume then...by the time of Ra
      the use of Jaffa as incubators and then humans were
      found to be excellent hosts, and exported.

(we're an export crop!)

It makes sense.

Comment

The people of the Americas did not live in isolation or a vacum. I think it's igonorant to assume that there was no contact pre-Columbus. There are boats and folks do seem to get around one way or another. There were trade systems in place that ran South to North, and vice versa. There is a very nice Mayan Ballcourt in the southwest (garh cannot remember the ruins it's w/) just lovely and very very recognizable for what it is, if you know what you are looking at.

One of the issues with history of the America's, (and
        I assume that is why so many people stay away from using
        Aztec/Mayan/Inca mythology, is not merely the fact that
        a lot of serious research is only just going on..(say last
        thirty years compared to the hundreds re Egypt)...
        There has been serious research done longer than 30 years but especially in the case of the Maya it was not understanding the records they left behind, that was a huge stumbling block to deciphering anything. Now that's being resolved it makes things much easier. Plus all the Codexs that were destroyed by the Spainards

know in Jamaica the Taino were not afraid of him.
        Which probably led to their genocide by the Spanards.
        Genocide happened because the dear old Spanards thought they were surperior and had souls while the locals were just souless creatures to be exploited. They did not care at all about the cultures they encountered they were there to conquer and profit. They would have killed them even if they fought back. RC church especially Spain was pretty hardcore and violent when it came to dealing w/ non-christians or protestants.

(we're an export crop!)
        yes we were for the Goa'uld lol
        sigpic

Comment

Hi! I have an interesting video link but it is about the conquest of the Incas...

To watch it here: 1519 AD - THE CONQUEST OF THE INCAS

Comment

When I was in Primary School I recall the teacher saying
            "And the Indians lined up when Columbus arrived..."
            And I asked;
            "How did they know to line up?"
            (This was a very big deal to me, as I was just learning
            about 'size places' and amazed how a whistle could blow
            and all the kids knew where to line up.)

Well, the teacher said something, everyone laughed, and
            I never raised my hand again through primary, middle,
            high school, two universities and professional school.

However, I read Voyage of the Ra and then Van Sertima's
            'they came before Columbus' so am as certain as I can
            be that those in this side of the world had been visited
            before and virtually said;

"Yo, WE got shoppers, everyone get your stalls in order."

And they lined up with various vegetables and stuff they
            were used to trade with others.

Archelogical investigations in Belize, Mexico, etc. have
            only recently begun to uncover the culture. As has been
            said elsewhere, there was the 'Cortez' reports, there was
            in the inability to decipher, and also the belief that
            the cultures of MesoAmerica were 'primative'.

If one does research one will find that in the 1950s, for
            example, the knowledge of the various cultures of Aztec/
            Inca/etc. was extremely limited.

I recall an instructor pooh poohing a Inca society for
            they had never 'discovered the wheel'.

Now if you live on the beach or in the mountains, what
            are you going to do with wheels? It was this kind of
            prejudice/chauvinism that marred the studies of the
            various cultures.

Comment

Originally posted by kaylar View Post

they had never 'discovered the wheel'.

Now if you live on the beach or in the mountains, what
              are you going to do with wheels? It was this kind of
              prejudice/chauvinism that marred the studies of the
              various cultures.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
              Exactly. The inability to understand how another society did what it did because they were simply different has marred the study of history almost always. These people would do their research and put three pieces of the puzzle in, and their prejudices would then take two of these pieces right back out again. I discovered this when I studied Sappho last year- an unconnected subject, it would seem- but the amount of sexual and sexist prejudice that infected her interpretation is vast. The concept of the 'barbarian' in western history is an interesting one, and invented by the 'other side', usually. One of my lecturers has actually written a book on the subject, called 'Inventing the Barbarian'.
              sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Exactly. The inability to understand how another society did what it did because they were simply different has marred the study of history almost always. These people would do their research and put three pieces of the puzzle in, and their prejudices would then take two of these pieces right back out again. I discovered this when I studied Sappho last year- an unconnected subject, it would seem- but the amount of sexual and sexist prejudice that infected her interpretation is vast. The concept of the 'barbarian' in western history is an interesting one, and invented by the 'other side', usually. One of my lecturers has actually written a book on the subject, called 'Inventing the Barbarian'.
                What academia ethnocentric and sexist? Never *shoves Malonowski's Sex Life of Savages under couch*

they had never 'discovered the wheel'
                It's there but there was no way to understand what they had especialy w. the Maya. Not haveing a cultural context really messes w/ interpretation. I completely agree Eygptology is much more developed but than even before deciphering heiroglyphics we had other sources that gave us a framework to understand them.

When I was in Primary School I recall the teacher saying
                "And the Indians lined up when Columbus arrived..."
                And I asked;
                "How did they know to line up?"
                (This was a very big deal to me, as I was just learning
                about 'size places' and amazed how a whistle could blow
                and all the kids knew where to line up.)

Well, the teacher said something, everyone laughed, and
                I never raised my hand again through primary, middle,
                high school, two universities and professional school
                how horrid of that teacher O love how they teach history as myth in primary school. All those nice tidy stories about Natives and Pilgrims, lovely and than you find out, nope not really.

btw, I'm not aiming comments at you personlly, but more at how it's taught and the perceptions that are out there. We get a bit batty and rapid in this thread once our brains warm up
                sigpic

Comment

I fully agree with your assessment. This is why I
                  basically said 'thirty years', because it is only
                  recently archeologists/anthropologists step back
                  from the belief that their culture is the 'norm'
                  and everyone else is stumbling in the dark.

For example, take ganja. Fishermen have always
                  said the ganja makes them see in the dark, and
                  of course, everyone was 'yah'.

Then Dr. WEst, who invented canabasol, a glaucoma
                  treatment, went out with the Fishermen one night.

He couldn't see a thing. They were moving around
                  reefs, and submerged stones and he could barely
                  see his hand in front of his face.

Currently, he's using ganja to work on a treatment
                  for RP and for Night blindness.

Now of course, America knows ganja as the 'Killer
                  Weed', so has a serious problem accepting the
                  medicinal properties.

It's the same thing in other cultural aspects.

So often the West wishes to dismiss something as
                  myth or allegory, then when evidence
                  is finally interpreted without bias, it is a
                  'new' discovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                    Especially w/ European accounts as they are completely ethnocentric.
                    But then again, whose accounts weren't?

It's pretty across the board for dismissing "native" cultures as not so bright and less developed than Europe was just because it did not resemble.
                    Well, to be sure, it's not all relative, and the Amerindian cultures WERE less developed than the Eurasian ones in almost every respect. There are geographical and historical reasons why it was so (mainly because they didn't have the luxury of an intercultural crossroad that was the Mediterranian, and so the Native American cultures were largely stewing in their own juice while the Europeans and the Middle Easterners actively traded, fought and otherwise exchanged intellectual baggage) but it is hard to deny that the Native American cultures were stagnating. A mighty empire, especially one as militarized as the Aztecs, does not fall that easily to a handful of invaders unless it is profoundly rotten from within. (And no, the Spanish guns don't explain it; gunpowder weapons of that era were actually inferior to bows in most qualities that counted- from rate of fire to susceptibility to bad weather).
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

medicene is the worst they can't see beyond what they know.
                      sigpic

Comment

But then again, whose accounts weren't?
                        They beat it into us in Anthro, not to be ethnocentric. Just about everyone. But Europe and the U.S. take the cake for studly white males conquering or studing indigenious folks.

Well, to be sure, it's not all relative, and the Amerindian cultures WERE less developed than the Eurasian ones in almost every respect. There are geographical and historical reasons why it was so (mainly because they didn't have the luxury of an intercultural crossroad that was the Mediterranian, and so the Native American cultures were largely stewing in their own juice while the Europeans and the Middle Easterners actively traded, fought and otherwise exchanged intellectual baggage) but it is hard to deny that the Native American cultures were stagnating. A mighty empire, especially one as militarized as the Aztecs, does not fall that easily to a handful of invaders unless it is profoundly rotten from within. (And no, the Spanish guns don't explain it; gunpowder weapons of that era were actually inferior to bows in most qualities that counted- from rate of fire to susceptibility to bad weather).
                        Every empire falls that just how it goes in history. Rome had a more sophisticated war apparatus and got theri bums handed to them by the Goths etc.

I also think it depends on what time frame you look at and which goegraphic region too. Population was less dense than in Europe and lack of written langauges for the most part (once again regional variances) Teehee it occurs to me, that really it's the lack of taxes in areas w/out written records. Taxes and collection of them is what spurred the begining of writing in Mesopotamia. ack babble on

Mayan mathmatics and astronmy is pretty advanced, we still don't get it.

nothing works like damp gunpowder
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                          They beat it into us in Anthro, not to be ethnocentric. Just about everyone. But Europe and the U.S. take the cake for studly white males conquering or studing indigenious folks.
                          But isn't that because they were the ones doing most of the studying?

Every empire falls that just how it goes in history. Rome had a more sophisticated war apparatus and got theri bums handed to them by the Goths etc.
                          But Rome existed for 500 years as a Republic and another 500 or so as an empire. It had a lot of time to rise and decline before it was rotten enough to be knocked down. The Aztec state was barely a hundred years old, and it was already so rotten that Cortes could arrive with less than a thousand men and instantly recruit enough disaffected tribesmen to bring down an empire the size of modern Mexico.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

But isn't that because they were the ones doing most of the studying?

But Rome existed for 500 years as a Republic and another 500 or so as an empire. It had a lot of time to rise and decline before it was rotten enough to be knocked down. The Aztec state was barely a hundred years old, and it was already so rotten that Cortes could arrive with less than a thousand men and instantly recruit enough disaffected tribesmen to bring down an empire the size of modern Mexico.
                            Their what we see and a lot of what's taught over here. Once you start to enter into the 1950's you know there are others out there we just don't see them. Though we do see females represented more than other areas early on.

There are those who say that Rome ended with the Republic and the Empire was the decline. When you look at other states they change they morph, incest & in breeding, there are civil wars, and invaders who take over. You get an invasion w/ a weak monarch and bye bye kingdom. And really my knowlegde of the Aztec is pretty superficial, Maya have rather been my "new world" interest.
                            sigpic

Comment

The development of cultures and societies depends
                              on many things, including environment.

When one lives in 'paradise' one does not need to
                              develope those 'necessities' required by harsher
                              environments.

For example; I live on the beach. Historically,
                              my property was flooded by the Bull Park River
                              jumping it's banks and dumping fertile soil
                              which was covered by sand.

On the beach I grow fruit trees; the palms were
                              here before me, as were the sea grapes, the almond
                              mango, avocada, ackee, lime, tomato, carrot, are
                              mine.

The sea is full of fish and they are not difficult
                              to catch. The temperature is tropical and a youth
                              who lives nearby has a knock board house made of
                              scraps which is good enough save if there is a
                              hurricane.

There is no reason for us to invent anything as
                              nature provides. Fire, used for cooking, boats
                              and nets made for fishing, the calendar could
                              say 4000 BCE or 1 C.E. or 2007 C.E.

Over time people, unlike the youth who is a transient,
                              have learned to build hurricane proof houses, but
                              there is no environmental pressure to do more.

Hence, no reason to invent the wheel, stoves, parkas,
                              curing meat...(for the indigenous life were coneys and
                              birds, goats et.al were imported) and the major
                              technological development was the Maroons who could
                              'jerk' food, (meaning it was cooked over fire but
                              without smoke).

The Taino used Cassava poison to dope the fish so
                              they could collect them in the basket, while using
                              the non-toix cassava as flour. How they figured this
                              out is probably trial and error.

But they didn't need more.

They had food, clothing of a form, shelter of a form
                              and so had no impetus to develope what they didn't
                              need.

In harshers climes there was the need to build warm
                              houses, burn fuel constantly, prepare and use skins,
                              raise animals, store grain, etc.

Most of the indigenous people lived in regions which
                              were of mild climate. When the climate became colder
                              some developed other technology, others moved else
                              where.

Their society worked until incursions by others.
                              Hence, if the Spanairds never arrived, the youth
                              who lives in the knockboard shack would be
                              surrounded by others living the same way.

Once your belly is full, your bed is comfortable,
                              and the air is warm and sweet, what else would
                              you need?

Comment

completely off topic but anyways

I was watchign the last hour of 'Troy' the movie (Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom etc) what did they do to all the male Trojan's hair. Good gads it was horrid

Aneas got a 30 second cameo wife was nowhere in sight just his sweet Pater **gags*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X