Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theories on why everyone speaks English?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe everyone on this forum should start speaking their native languages, that should make it more interesting for you!

Comment

"It's not a mystery. It's a tee-vee show."

I UNDERSTAND THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then why do we discuss ANYTHING on these forums? DOES NO ONE GET IT? ALL I want is an in-universe explanation. You guys will discuss the tiniest technical detail about something way out there sci fi, but a legitimate question about a HUGE "plot expediency and inconsistancy" (especially for a show at which language is important - translating Gate symbols and such) is always answered with "it's a TV show."

Forget it.................

Look at me - getting all worked up over "a TV show". That's enough for me - my scifi geek days are done.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
        Maybe everyone on this forum should start speaking their native languages, that should make it more interesting for you!
        I think this is not the issue. Viewers can understand dialogues if you provide subtitles to those sections. The issue is to convince the viewer that the people talking do understand each other. As an example, technically it is a non-issue to have Jinto talking to the Czech guy, both in their native language and with subtitles. But it would just look funny.

Comment

Originally posted by sshspooky
          In my opinion i'd rather they leave it a mystery then give us a flawed explanation.
          Keyword mystery: There is an episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine in which the Defiant travels back to Kirks time, and you see Worf sitting in a space station with The Original Series Klingons, and Chief O'Brian aks him why those Klingons 100 years earlier looks so funny (i.e. human, because of the lack of make-up technology in the 70s), and Worf says that this is a matter they do not discuss with other people... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by deezlwex
            "It's not a mystery. It's a tee-vee show."

I UNDERSTAND THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then why do we discuss ANYTHING on these forums? DOES NO ONE GET IT? ALL I want is an in-universe explanation.
            My point is is that the creators/writers of the show - the ones from whom all explanations come forth - have already given the "it's a tv show" answer. If you need an "in-universe" explanation, then you'll have to make one up yourself or pick from the myriad of those that have been proposed. That's all.

Personally, I don't care that they haven't explained it and, I believe, at this point it would be foolish for them to attempt to do so. So, the "it's a tv show" explanation works just fine for me. YMMV.
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

That "Tribbles" rehash episode was one of DS9's best. However, that situation is irrelevant. Even so, the characters ASKED! It was ACKNOWLEDGED by the characters that something was wrong, and that Worf refused to explain it.

Here, the characters don't acknowledge. I think we should agree to disagree, and I will assume the UT tech stated in the backstory on this website.

Comment

"the ones from whom all explanations come forth"

They do? It seems while reading these forums, that there is MUCH the producers of the show haven't explained. Hence, the reason we debate on these forums. How much fun would it be if every question posted in these forums was answered with "it's a TV show" answer?

Comment

"As hoped, the lost city is indeed a treasure trove of advanced technology, which includes such things as a universal translation device. Each team member travelling off-world receives one, which is capable of instantly translating virtually any language encountered."

From the website. I'm going to go with this for now, even though they haven't shown the device.

OK, we're all happy now.

Comment

"As hoped, the lost city is indeed a treasure trove of advanced technology, which includes such things as a universal translation device. Each team member travelling off-world receives one, which is capable of instantly translating virtually any language encountered."

From the website. I'm going to go with this for now, even though they haven't shown the device.

OK, we're all happy now.
                    What it was built into that thing Shepard was given by the jumper?
                    sigpic

Comment

"the ones from whom all explanations come forth"

They do? It seems while reading these forums, that there is MUCH the producers of the show haven't explained. Hence, the reason we debate on these forums.
                      Okay. Two corrections/clarifications on what I meant:

First, I meant that if anything is going to be explained, the official explanation must from the writers/creators. Of course there are things that have never been explained, but that is neither here nor there; that is part of the fun. If we really knew everything there was to know about the Ancients, what fun would that be...and why would we need a whole new series to explain it?

Second, the co-creator of Stargate: SG-1, Jonathan Glassner, was recently asked about the "aliens-speaking-english" business at the Burbank Creation Convention in early July. He basically said (and I'm paraphrasing others' first-hand acccounts) that they tried to come up with something, but couldn't find anything believable; anything they did come up with would just call even more attention to it; and no one is going to read subtitles for every episode on television. Whether or not you agree with him is another story entirely, but since he and Brad Wright are responsible for the series, they are the "official" word. You (general "you") want to know why the aliens in the Stargate universe speak English or why there isn't any kind of tech or work around? That's the official answer. You don't like that answer? Feel free to make up a new one, but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

If anyone gets a chance, maybe Brad Wright could be asked again about what he thought of this in the context of the new series.

How much fun would it be if every question posted in these forums was answered with "it's a TV show" answer?
                      I can only speak for myself, but it doesn't bother me. I don't mind trying to figure out where they're going with a story arc (within my own little spoiler-lite existence) and I do try to keep a sense of humor about everything. However, if something has been answered/established, that's what I go on until I get new information. For me, this question has been answered.

I know, I know...I'm such a spoilsport.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                        Second, the co-creator of Stargate: SG-1, Jonathan Glassner, was recently asked about the "aliens-speaking-english" business at the Burbank Creation Convention in early July. He basically said (and I'm paraphrasing others' first-hand acccounts) that they tried to come up with something, but couldn't find anything believable; anything they did come up with would just call even more attention to it; and no one is going to read subtitles for every episode on television. Whether or not you agree with him is another story entirely, but since he and Brad Wright are responsible for the series, they are the "official" word. You (general "you") want to know why the aliens in the Stargate universe speak English or why there isn't any kind of tech or work around? That's the official answer. You don't like that answer? Feel free to make up a new one, but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

I know, I know...I'm such a spoilsport.
                        Yeah, you're such a party pooper! Now this thread won't ever reach 20+ pages!
                        To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
                          Yeah, you're such a party pooper! Now this thread won't ever reach 20+ pages!
                          Somehow I doubt that. From what I've seen, this "thread" has been going on for about eight years. Anyway, someone asked for opinions and I gave mine.

Comment

They are not speaking English! The program has just been localized for us English Speaking Earth viewers. I am positive that their lip movements are not in sync with their words!

Comment

lol reminds me of Larry the Cable Guy lol he was like watching star trek and there was an alien with a horn stickin out of his head and that alien spoke perfecet freakin english yet when ever he went to mcdonalds he couldnt understand a damn word lol i tohught it was funny it remined me of that. Deos it matter? Jaffa speak english and Gou'ald, Anthosians speak Ancient and English, who cares that our language is the dominant one in the universe.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Doesn't need to take 30 minutes. Why when the Stargate team went to Russia, in Watergate, Marina Sirtis' character actually had to comment that she had previously learned English? Why when Daniel Jackson got captured in South America, did he speak Spanish? Yet they go to another FREAKIN' planet, and there is NO explanation. We have several times on Stargate (not yet Atlantis) heard G'uould (spelling, sorry) and Russina with no subtitles, but we knew what was going on.

I was particularly amused in "2001" when they needed the Aschen to translate the one word ("sterile") that was in the natives' newspaper that Daniel found? WHY NOT ask the natives? It's their language. See my point - it adds a HUGE "cheese factor" to an otherwise great show.

Anything...UT, advanced tech, anything...throw us a bone here. My point is is that LANGUAGE is an integral part of Stargate. How come Teyla's people speak English with no explanation, but when a prayer in Ancient starts, everyone seems suprised? It should be just the opposite.

Star Trek addressed the issue (UT), Farscape addressed the issue (translator microbes), I want to see what I otherwise consider to be the BEST SciFi out there, SG and Atlantis, address the issue.
                                Sorry this isn't an in-the-plot explanation, but here's what's at the SG-1 website FAQs:

Why does every culture SG-1 encounters speak English?
                                Practical reasons that come with television production. The time contraints of an hour-long episode mean that it would become a major hinderance to the story each week if SG-1 had to spend the first 10 minutes of each episode learning to communicate with a new species.

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

Working...
                                X