Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
    ...and 1968 would suggest she was still in highschool in, oh, 1986. That is, a year older than Mitchell.
    Plus, she's been only promoted recently. If having saved the universe a couple of time is a good enough reason to promote her despite both her age and not reaching the minimal time needed between ranks, I guess it'd work for Cameron as well.
    Well see, the flaws in that argument is that we don't know how old Sam is in canon. As for not meeting the minimal time between ranks that is untrue, in the zone is 3 years and a year less for below the zone - Sam was a Lt Colonel S8 to S10 so she does definitely meet the minimum TIG
    -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      Well see, the flaws in that argument is that we don't know how old Sam is in canon. As for not meeting the minimal time between ranks that is untrue, in the zone is 3 years and a year less for below the zone - Sam was a Lt Colonel S8 to S10 so she does definitely meet the minimum TIG
      Well, I'd say if it appeared on one of the episodes, it should be at least considered to be canon. And at any rate, whatever her age shoudl be, it's not that older than Mitchell's.

The zone is there years to move between Lt Colonel and Colonel? Are you serious? That's an insanely short time! Obviously, if you know then I defer to you, I don't know and admit not to know, but I'm just saying, that sounds to me insanely fast in these higher ranks.
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

This is useful for explaining promotions;
        Military Commissioned Officer Promotions
        A Colonel is O-6.

I thought Carter wouldn't have had enough time in service, but time in service and time in grade don't match up so I think someone will have to explain that one to me.
        I guess she would be considered a fast-track candidate?

I think this is going to be most relevant to Sam Carter's promotion, and might possibly (logically) hold back Cam Mitchell's.
        The two most significant factors in an officer's promotion records are inarguably their fitness report(s) and level of responsibility in their current and past assignments. Because of this, many people consider the officer promotion system to be very "political," in nature. A "blah" fitness report can result in being "passed over." Lack of current or previous assignments that had significant degrees of responsibility can also result in not being selected.
        ETA:
        Okay, I think I might have wrapped my brain around it.
        The average officer (ie. probably not Carter ) would expect to be promoted to Colonel after 22 years service, of which they must be a Lt. Col. for a minimum of 3 years. They have three opportunities to be promoted; after 21 years - below-the-zone, 22 years - in-the-zone, and 23 years - above-the-zone. If they fail to be promoted to Colonel after 23 years service they are out of the military.

And if Carter was being promoted after serving the minimum time in grade for each rank she could in theory be promoted to Colonel in 12 and a half years?

Can anyone confirm I'm reading that right?
        Last edited by smurf; 16 June 2007, 10:03 AM.

Comment

"a "blah" fitness report". I must wonder if that's a technical term!

She probably would be considered a fast track candidate, considering the nature of her job and her performance in it.
          ... As would Cameron, for those of us who can stand the sight of him
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I'm thinking that they (if in theoretical real life) may hold off promoting Mitchell (he has plenty of time) because he has not had as much command experience considering he has just returned from a life theatening injury to a co-command (haha) situation, rather than a command one he had in Lost City (length of command unknown).

It is arguable that requiring the services of the previous commander to co-command your team does not look great on the resumé.

Of course, that's real life...
            and this has aliens in it.

Comment

I'm not sure about this, so please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Cam have a bad report in his file, maybe from when his best friend was injured or was it something else?
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                Of course, that's real life...
                and this has aliens in it.
                ....Blimey, for a moment htere I thought you're trying to say there are no aliens in real life.
                Or maybe jus that the USAF doesn't battle them on a regular basis?!
                *snort* How ridiculous!

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                I'm not sure about this, so please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Cam have a bad report in his file, maybe from when his best friend was injured or was it something else?
                No, I don't recall anything mentioned. As a matter fo fact Landry claimed in Avalon Mitchell's file is "impeccable".
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

And if Carter was being promoted after serving the minimum time in grade for each rank she could in theory be promoted to Colonel in 12 and a half years?

Can anyone confirm I'm reading that right?
                  it is also possible that sam's 10+ years with the stargate program count for more than mitch's 3-4ish (we didn't even come close to having fighters until s6 or 7 so he couldn't - as a fighter pilot - have been involved before then. had they not gone for the 'new order hero' aspect and simply let him be a team member, then, THEORETICALLY, he could have been an unmentioned part of the SGC since s1...since we never met all the team members)

In thier justification process in trying to 'sell' mitchell's credibility, they've actually limited his 'importance' to the command as a whole since, prior to s9, he was just a pilot and had never even seen the gate before
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    Neilsons also take 'overnights' from the big cities, chicago, new york, la to name a few.
                    That's one type of overnight, but not the only type. You are referring to the "major market overnights" or "metered market ratings" which generally arrive in the morning. Commentators like Mediaweek's Programming Insider (http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp) use those ratings to comment early in the day. But, later in the day, something called the fast nationals do come in. The Programming Insider posts those at PIFeedback.com. Even later in the day, the real national overnights come int.

and those of you that have dvr's??? your service provider keeps track of and sends to the networks what you watch and when. big brother does keep track of what you watch when you have a dvr.
                    Not really. The only company I know of that is selling their viewer data is Tivo and some data coming from Charter cable in LA. Cable companies have the potential for loads of data, but none of them is really national in scope and they vary greatly in the degree to which they are actually doing anything the data. Many are still doing nothing with it.

BTW--even Tivo uses only a sample of their subscribers and it's random. So, if you are a Tivo subscriber, you don't know if your data is being used or not.

Here's an article about what they are doing. It also mentions the Charter Cable data:

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/rec..._id=1003577813

If you can find a similar article about any other cable provider providing DVR data to the networks and doing it on the mass scale you imply, please show it. I'd like to see that.

Nielsen's meters are equipped to monitor DVR usage. They pick up what their sample watches, when they watch it, and whether commercials are skipped.
                    Last edited by MediaSavant; 16 June 2007, 12:41 PM.

Comment

....Blimey, for a moment htere I thought you're trying to say there are no aliens in real life.
                      Or maybe jus that the USAF doesn't battle them on a regular basis?!
                      *snort* How ridiculous!
                      I couldn't possibly say. What level of security clearance do you have?

Comment

I couldn't possibly say. What level of security clearance do you have?
                        Smurfie, your silliness today really is becoming ridiculous. I post in online forums, of course I've got the highest clearance possible to mankind.... in this galaxy.
                        And beyond.
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Smurfie, your silliness today really is becoming ridiculous. I post in online forums, of course I've got the highest clearance possible to mankind.... in this galaxy.
                          And beyond.
                          Only to mankind? *snort* You mere mortal
                          scarimor

Comment

And beyond.
                            Ah, you haven't got the recent memo on Aliens and Public Deniabilty: Using science fiction forums as a means of dissemination.
                            I'll get Walter to run you up a copy.

Er whoops...

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                              It has never been actually stated. Nor do we know what year she went to the Academy.
                              Some people use 1968 because they freeze framed a prop in Entity but that isn't canon.
                              Why not?

Comment

canon is considered what is SAID on a show. given that the lines come from the writers whereas props - such as the screen cap of sam's service record and Jack's id badge from fragile balance - which shows his birthdate as 10-1-52 i think, are made by props folks..that sometimes just make stuff up not realizing that it'll be filmed

sam's december birthday is also directly contradicted by orlin's line of dialogue that the emerald is her birthstone...and emeralds are the may birthstone
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X