Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one thing learned from Stargate's history is that killing off a character never means we won't see them again. Actual planning before, I don't know, a month ago? I doubt it.
    It's good publicity though, better done by the fans than they've managed to achieve themselves (and free to boot). Which kinda brings us back to me saying it seems the integrity of the show isn't as important as chasing that ratings bump. (I'm sure Sci Fi are going to milk it the same way they did Daniel's return)

Still, if I was a fan of SGA it would be lovely to think they planned it, because of the forethought thing.
    ETA: if they did plan it they should have put his eps at the beginning where ratings=renewal.
    Last edited by smurf; 10 April 2007, 02:35 PM.

Comment

PG15 may be on to something...

Spoiler:
      I was surprised to read that there were hints in the last few eps of S3, considering I'd seen all of the eps and I didn't have a clue what he meant. It'll definitely be cause for me catch it once the episodes air on SciFi this summer.

But if this was all planned, I'm wondering if the 'soft reset' that Joe Flanigan mentioned isn't on a wider scale. And that sounds troublesome. I mean, if all of S3 - or even large chunks - were meant to be reset, that might also explain why Weir is in a puddlejumper in Lifeline with the rest of the team.

But yeah, all of this is very intriguing. And freakin' confusing.

Comment

I really think this "soft reset" thing has been overstated, actually. I doubt it'll be anything like "Season 3 was a dream!" or anything of that sort.

I just want to state that TPTB has no reason to pretend they put a hint in to make themselves look big; they are already big, they're in charge of the thing we're all obsessing over. To lie outright like this (as opposed to being cryptic about plot details, which they do often and is completely normal) is not their style, no matter how much some people say it is.

I mean seriously, for those of us on the forum, yes, fan controversies seem like big things that should be avoided, but as soon as you turn off the computer, you (that is to say, I) would just realize how insignificant it is. No way will I believe that TPTB would go through all this effort to calm fans down.

So to summarize...there is a hint, and this has been planned, if not completely for sometime now. That is what I believe.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree that TPTB had already planned to bring back Carson anyways... but you know what, I think it worked out well for everyone, regardless. The show got free advertising, and the fans had a chance to get out there and have fun. IMHO, that's what really counts. TPTB and the fans worked together and had fun with it. I have a huge amount of respect for that.
          "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
          My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Good example, PG, but if you ask me, the proof is in the puddin' heads in charge. On BSG...

Spoiler:
            Yes, it was all more or less a ruse, but from death to resurrection not a lot of time passed. There were dark rumors for weeks/months, but everything was already in the can when it all went down. There was no chance for the fans to say, "it was our campaigning that saved Kara" and because of the short time-frame, Ron & Co. didn't appear to be waffling and- more importantly- they weren't inciting the fans to riot or dragging out the suspense over a whole season: she died in one ep and a few weeks later we see her again. Although there are still a TON of questions about how it's all possible, what it means and whether or not it's really Kara.

On SGA... There were dark rumors for weeks/months, but the "death" was the only part in the can and the "resurrection" isn't going to happen until the back half of next season. There are mutterings of "it was our campaigning that saved the show" and because of the long time-frame, Rob & Co. are drawing questions from some quarters about their integrity (in a "did they really have this planned or are they making it up as they go along?" sort of way) as well as questions about whether or not they caved to fan pressure. They incited a helluva lot of fan rioting with folks working themselves into a bloody froth over the issue and running around at Joe Mallozzi's whim. And let's not forget that whim, shall we? He says he'll write in Carson if the campaign gets media attention and *poof* there's media attention. Even if it was just more of Joe's usual baiting on an issue that had been long decided, it's always going to look questionable, no matter how many times they all say that "we were always gonna do this."

There's also the manner of Carson's death. It was done for shock value, not for plot, and while the survivors on BSG grieved the loss of the character, Carson's "friends" barely blinked before moving on. The way the death was set up on BSG it seemed to have significance and plays an important role in things to come. The way the death was set up on Atlantis it seemed tacked on and has no real impact on things to come. Granted, it's hard to tell when S4 hasn't started, but BSG set things up in the finale. Atlantis's finale had more important things to worry about than a dead doctor.

Joe might be having fun baiting fans and it could well be true that this was planned right from the beginning, but because of Joe's attitude and the way he's... arranged things it makes the situation seem worse than it may actually be.

All my opinion and conjecture, of course, and I'm sure there'll be those who disagree, but I still think Joe could have been more circumspect. He doesn't have to like fandom, but does he really have to set up these nasty little situations?

Comment

That certainly makes sense. Either way, I'm not going to go out and blab about my theory with virtually nothing to back it up. For now, we'll just have to wait and see how it's going to go down. I think we'll get more clues to this when those Carson episodes air.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize how Stargate-y this decision was. I mean, almost all the Stargate arcs have been spread out and slow on the uptake. I have almost no doubt that this was in the producers' heads when Beckett was first offed. I guess it just took a few events coming together in the right way to make this happen. That seems like the best of both worlds.

As for Joe and his situations...well, there are just so many factors to consider here; either he is indeed the evil genius mastermind some have spinned him out to be (which is a good thing, actually; we'll need someone who knows how to think like that at the helm of the show and dealing with SciFi ), or this was just all a big mistake...we have no clue. I think, however, it's best if we just leave this be. xfkirsten is right, The beckett fans are happy, TPTB got publicity; for a lot of people this was a pretty good turn of events.

And I don't think Joe hates fandom, he just dislikes the branch that act like complete idiots, and that's just human nature.

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten View Post
                I wholeheartedly agree that TPTB had already planned to bring back Carson anyways... but you know what, I think it worked out well for everyone, regardless. The show got free advertising, and the fans had a chance to get out there and have fun. IMHO, that's what really counts. TPTB and the fans worked together and had fun with it. I have a huge amount of respect for that.
                It hasn't even aired. Until then I don't think anyone can say this worked out well. And I am so sick of the Save campaigns, they have done nothing for my like of fandom, they may even have killed it. If the behaviour of some of those fans is what you call working together with TPTB then you have not read the posts I have.

Oh yeah but at least the show got publicity.

And as for how TPTB bring him back... well lets just say I have yet to see a convincing way of doing that. Not when you have months in between.

Talk about reset buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                  Good example, PG, but if you ask me, the proof is in the puddin' heads in charge. On BSG...

Spoiler:
                  Yes, it was all more or less a ruse, but from death to resurrection not a lot of time passed. There were dark rumors for weeks/months, but everything was already in the can when it all went down. There was no chance for the fans to say, "it was our campaigning that saved Kara" and because of the short time-frame, Ron & Co. didn't appear to be waffling and- more importantly- they weren't inciting the fans to riot or dragging out the suspense over a whole season: she died in one ep and a few weeks later we see her again. Although there are still a TON of questions about how it's all possible, what it means and whether or not it's really Kara.

On SGA... There were dark rumors for weeks/months, but the "death" was the only part in the can and the "resurrection" isn't going to happen until the back half of next season. There are mutterings of "it was our campaigning that saved the show" and because of the long time-frame, Rob & Co. are drawing questions from some quarters about their integrity (in a "did they really have this planned or are they making it up as they go along?" sort of way) as well as questions about whether or not they caved to fan pressure. They incited a helluva lot of fan rioting with folks working themselves into a bloody froth over the issue and running around at Joe Mallozzi's whim. And let's not forget that whim, shall we? He says he'll write in Carson if the campaign gets media attention and *poof* there's media attention. Even if it was just more of Joe's usual baiting on an issue that had been long decided, it's always going to look questionable, no matter how many times they all say that "we were always gonna do this."
                  I agree Shadow it does look suspicious, but the only thing I disagree with in your very good post is the 'Fans running around at JM's whim'. The SCB peeps have been running around, putting things in place long before JM got involved. I know Joe said at the rally that if the SCBers could get coverage on certain networks he'd put Carson in two eps, which spurred them further (it was not a new thing though) and it gave them a bit of hope, which is never a bad thing. But I certainly never heard anything from them that suggested they were bowing down to JM unless you know something I don't, lol.

There's also the manner of Carson's death. It was done for shock value, not for plot, and while the survivors on BSG grieved the loss of the character, Carson's "friends" barely blinked before moving on. The way the death was set up on BSG it seemed to have significance and plays an important role in things to come. The way the death was set up on Atlantis it seemed tacked on and has no real impact on things to come. Granted, it's hard to tell when S4 hasn't started, but BSG set things up in the finale. Atlantis's finale had more important things to worry about than a dead doctor.

Joe might be having fun baiting fans and it could well be true that this was planned right from the beginning, but because of Joe's attitude and the way he's... arranged things it makes the situation seem worse than it may actually be.

All my opinion and conjecture, of course, and I'm sure there'll be those who disagree, but I still think Joe could have been more circumspect. He doesn't have to like fandom, but does he really have to set up these nasty little situations?
                  We still don't know why they did it though. I don't think it was shock value alone that resulted in PM's leaving, and truth is we may never know. The whole no one dies in SciFi is so cliche to me dead means dead, (although it has to be said that I'm looking forward to seeing him again) But with JM saying we should be looking at the back half of S3 for clues of how carson comes back does scream "ratings ploy* We know Joe likes to mess with our heads that's apparent from his blogs, but with that said, I think the SCB peeps did a great job regardless of whether this was a ploy by TPTB or not. Only time will tell I guess, maybe ater S3 is finished JM will tells us...highly unlikely I know, but it won't hurt to ask
                  Last edited by Pegasus_SGA; 10 April 2007, 04:00 PM. Reason: Exception was a little harsh, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                    It hasn't even aired. Until then I don't think anyone can say this worked out well. And I am so sick of the Save campaigns, they have done nothing for my like of fandom, they may even have killed it. If the behaviour of some of those fans is what you call working together with TPTB then you have not read the posts I have.

Oh yeah but at least the show got publicity.

And as for how TPTB bring him back... well lets just say I have yet to see a convincing way of doing that. Not when you have months in between.

Talk about reset buttons.
                    I haven't been one to participate in Save campaigns myself... I've even been told by some people participating in one of them that I am "not a real fan" because I chose not to participate. And now you see why I've chosen not to associate myself with that behavior.

But just like everything else in life, there's people who are nasty about it, and those who have fun with it. To the people who fit the former description - get a life. To the people who fit the latter - you have my applause and respect!

Comment

I haven't been one to participate in Save campaigns myself... I've even been told by some people participating in one of them that I am "not a real fan" because I chose not to participate. And now you see why I've chosen not to associate myself with that behavior.

But just like everything else in life, there's people who are nasty about it, and those who have fun with it. To the people who fit the former description - get a life. To the people who fit the latter - you have my applause and respect!
                      I second that Did people really told you that you weren't a real fan bc you didn't choose to participate in campaigns ? Poor little buggers They really do need a life.

Comment

But that is the thing, making the distinction. You lay down with dogs....

I am more interested in whether the rest of the cast knew about this if indeed it was always planned. David Hewlett seem to be saying he thought Carson was gone.... or was it really as Paul implied. If enough people want it... *shrugs* this cannot be seen as a good way to make a TV show. And it makes such a lie out of what Joe said previousily about fans and influence.

This is one fraked up show.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                          He said big season 4 announcement, so I'm guessing some guest star of the week he's personally excited about.
                          Probably, but that's sorta sad that getting an actor is the big news. I mean, you can have Richard Burton, but if the script isn't hot, even he can't salvage it (thinking back to several horrid movies he'd made).

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                          The one thing learned from Stargate's history is that killing off a character never means we won't see them again.
                          Well, do dislike (yawn) the threadbare phrase of 'nobody ever dies in scifi'. Even if a character is brought back, it's VERy rare that a character returns to the show full time ('cept Daniel Jackson). Usually a guest spot or two and then, poof. Or they bring them back as AU (I mean, sorry, Janet as an AU character doesn't cut it.She's still dead.)

Yup, pretty good summation. The fans aren't idiots, and the TPTB aren't above using them (although I dare say I don';t think many fans didn't figure that out - Joe basically left boulder-sized breadcrumbs in that SCB interview). I think it's tit-for-tat. But, the least Skiffy could do is shell out some money for decent advertising for SGA. I do think TPTB were calculating in what they did, and it paid off. Free publicity. but... think it sucks that the writers couldn't think of anything better than killing Beckett to 'shake things up.'

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post

Like I've said before, I think this is his hobby. He likes to bait the fans.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          As for Joe and his situations...well, there are just so many factors to consider here; either he is indeed the evil genius mastermind some have spinned him out to be (which is a good thing, actually; we'll need someone who knows how to think like that at the helm of the show and dealing with SciFi ), or this was just all a big mistake...we have no clue. I think, however, it's best if we just leave this be. xfkirsten is right, The beckett fans are happy, TPTB got publicity; for a lot of people this was a pretty good turn of events.

And I don't think Joe hates fandom, he just dislikes the branch that act like complete idiots, and that's just human nature.
                          I don't think JM particularly cares about fandom one way or the other. Of course, he does like praise (who doesn't?) and being a TV producer, it's a part of the job to get negative reviews (whether by tv critics or by fans).

Comment

Originally posted by Blower'sGate View Post
                            I second that Did people really told you that you weren't a real fan bc you didn't choose to participate in campaigns ? Poor little buggers They really do need a life.
                            Oh, hope we don't got through that 'real/true fan' crap again. The last time I saw fans smearing each other over that was that if you dind't watch the show and accept it and enjoy it you weren't a real fan. Ridiculous, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Blower'sGate View Post
                              Not to my face, but I saw it thrown around in other peoples' LJs.

Comment

April 10

Photos: Ice cream, and more pics of the Travelers ship set! Worth a look. Oh, the guy running around and acting goofy is Will Waring.

Main Write-up: What words should be spoken on Joe's favorite shows according to Joe? Read it and find out. Oh, and then there is this:

Well, I underestimated the Save Carson Beckett organizers yet again. I completed the Q&A with them last night, assuming they’d need a day or two to get the interview up. Nope. An hour later, the news was all over the net. That was fast!
                                Questions:

Lughtigern writes: “Have you ever found yourself with similar regrets/realizations or do production schedules allow you the opportunity for fine tuning a script on set?”

Answer: Life is full of regrets - especially if you work in television.

Hitman Jr. writes: “Will we ever get to see a restroom on Atlantis?”

Answer: Carl Binder is working on the “big restroom” episode as I write this.

Kate writes: “ Of how many pages does an average SGA script consist?”

Answer: SGA scripts are averaging just a shade under 60 pages.

Copernicus writes: “What can you suggest (as in my current situation where I write non-professionally/academically) when there are no deadlines to work to? How does one interject the necessary fear to inspire one to write?!”

Answer: Try writing on the edge of a cliff.

Anonymous #2 writes: “ Now that Paul has been contracted for two episodes in the back half of season 4 is there any chance to have a count on how many episodes Torri has been contracted for?”

Answer: So far, she has been contracted for four episodes.

[PG's note: Oh boy, I can already hear the "I knew it!!" coming from certain Weir fans. I wonder how much effort it's going to take to convince them that this could just be a coincidence...]

Anjirikia writes: “Just a question Joe- you've brought Carson back for two episodes, but you must have had plans for this for a while now because spinning stories and contracts do not appear over night.......what can you say to this?”

Answer: I can say that a lot of different elements went into the decision to bring the Carson character back, everything from the initial seed of his return, the stories it spawned, proper timing, Paul’s availability and his willingness to come back, the support of the studio and the network, and, of course, the support of Paul’s many fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X